Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

the cheap ones don’t make you feel hot .... the thick fabric ones which are much more expensive will do 

Dunno how cheap it was but I went for an MRI yesterday and had to wear what felt like a paper mask, face about melted tbh. 

Question for anyone that's still travelling to work via trains; how are you finding it?

My department reopens in a week, pretty sure I'll be expected in work but I'm rather apprehensive on catching the train and changing over through New Street. 

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Question for anyone that's still travelling to work via trains; how are you finding it?

My department reopens in a week, pretty sure I'll be expected in work but I'm rather apprehensive on catching the train and changing over through New Street. 

Can you be flexible in your start/finish times to avoid the peak trains? Also plan your timings around the longer carriages - on the West Midland Railway website they should have timetables which detail which are used for each service.

I have no idea when I will be in - our building is one of the lowest priorities apparently. Which makes sense - I can pretty much do everything remotely. 

7 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Can you be flexible in your start/finish times to avoid the peak trains? Also plan your timings around the longer carriages - on the West Midland Railway website they should have timetables which detail which are used for each service.

I have no idea when I will be in - our building is one of the lowest priorities apparently. Which makes sense - I can pretty much do everything remotely. 

They've mentioned the possibiltiy of it or of even staying at home a little longer. I'll know a bit more when they say for definite when they'll expect me in and look at the frequency of trains etc to try to plan it out. 

I knew my building would be fairly early on, and an email released yesterday showed mine to be in week 2 of openings. We've had lab plans and building plans sent over of how we're able to move around the place, so they've clearly thoroughly planned it out. I just wonder how safe a return is at this point, but appreciate how fortunate I've been to work at home. 

Whats everyone's thoughts on meeting other people in a park, socially distanced of course, but using public transport to get there? Mate wants to meet up as he lives by himself and seems to be incredibly bored. Tempted to see what things are like in a few weeks as its not as essential journey.

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Whats everyone's thoughts on meeting other people in a park, socially distanced of course, but using public transport to get there? Mate wants to meet up as he lives by himself and seems to be incredibly bored. Tempted to see what things are like in a few weeks as its not as essential journey.

Public transport will have reduced capacity in most areas, I doubt more than about 20 will be allowed on double deckers so that should be fine.

Parks I can understand, plenty of open space to move around, but meeting in gardens I don't understand at all. Surely people will go into houses?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Corky said:

Public transport will have reduced capacity in most areas, I doubt more than about 20 will be allowed on double deckers so that should be fine.

Parks I can understand, plenty of open space to move around, but meeting in gardens I don't understand at all. Surely people will go into houses?

I work for Arriva,  single decker maximum is 11, double is 20.

8 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I'd still avoid public transport where possible. I gather it's ridiculously mixed as to whether you get a bus driver who cares or you're packed in. 

Can you perhaps walk/ cycle to a stop further away and take a shorter journey? 

In the current climate, no bus driver will be packing them in.

38 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They've mentioned the possibiltiy of it or of even staying at home a little longer. I'll know a bit more when they say for definite when they'll expect me in and look at the frequency of trains etc to try to plan it out. 

I knew my building would be fairly early on, and an email released yesterday showed mine to be in week 2 of openings. We've had lab plans and building plans sent over of how we're able to move around the place, so they've clearly thoroughly planned it out. I just wonder how safe a return is at this point, but appreciate how fortunate I've been to work at home. 

I am sure once you are there it will be fine, they are being super cautious - we won’t even be allowed in to pick up stuff for some weeks unless it’s absolutely critical. Asking to have flexibility in your hours for a better commute is in keeping with the government guidelines, so I am sure it will be fine! 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Corky said:

You are allowed in to somebody’s home, for the purpose of accessing their garden. Chris Whitty also said that you can use the loo in other people’s homes but to ensure that proper sanitizing is implemented. 

1 hour ago, stix said:

You are allowed in to somebody’s home, for the purpose of accessing their garden. Chris Whitty also said that you can use the loo in other people’s homes but to ensure that proper sanitizing is implemented. 

Does that mean I’ve got to start flushing the toilet?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Does that mean I’ve got to start flushing the toilet?

If its yellow, let it mellow.

If it's brown, flush it down :thumbup:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

To those asking about public transport, the trains are pretty empty in the late afternoon, early evening and evening, so if you're wanting to travel you should be able to easily socially distance yourself from others.

Likewise the buses, the one I get is on a usually busy route directly into the city centre and anything other than rush hour times they have been empty day and night. 

• Like 1

Something I think many people have lost sight of is the significant health implications for those who recover from Covid 19. I've read about some studies, and it's quite frightening. The people who are so blasé about it only being a mild illness in most might be surprised to learn that the ongoing issues are certainly nothing to play down, and look like they may give the health service a considerable headache for years to come. 

Even people who only suffer mildly from Covid are apparently at risk of long term health problems. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-12/covid-19-s-health-effects-can-last-long-after-virus-is-gone

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms

Edited by FoxesDeb
Edited to add apparently, obviously it's not definite
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Something I think many people have lost sight of is the significant health implications for those who recover from Covid 19. I've read about some studies, and it's quite frightening. The people who are so blasé about it only being a mild illness in most might be surprised to learn that the ongoing issues are certainly nothing to play down, and look like they may give the health service a considerable headache for years to come. 

Even people who only suffer mildly from Covid are at risk of long term health problems. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-12/covid-19-s-health-effects-can-last-long-after-virus-is-gone

Funnily enough, we were discussing this earlier in my house. My wife was pointing out that two months on, she is still struggling with stamina (something she had plenty of before this).  My ability to sit down with my feet up seems unaffected .......

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

I don't think it'd right to use someone's toilet at this time. I'll just piss up their fence instead. 

It might get frowned upon if I dig a hole in the lawn and drop a stool but it’ll become the new norm I’m sure.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Funnily enough, we were discussing this earlier in my house. My wife was pointing out that two months on, she is still struggling with stamina (something she had plenty of before this).  My ability to sit down with my feet up seems unaffected .......

My husband has been commenting about this too (over two months since first symptoms). He's always been very active, but if he goes for a run or bike ride he's not feeling quite right, and taking longer to recover than usual.  

35 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Even people who only suffer mildly from Covid are apparently at risk of long term health problems. 

It's worrying that we're seeing reports of long term effects, given how little we actually know about this virus. You'd worry a long term effect could be making recovered victims more suscpetible to future respiratory infections.

To many people reducing our infection rate is seen as the final goal, but its merely just the start of our battle. 

The bloomberg article only states that there may be long term issues, not that there will be. So by default it also means that there may  be no long term issues.

Posters not recovered fully yet, can take heart from the fact that many kinds of flu, can take up to 6 months to fully recover from.

Time will tell.

Edited by nnickn
  • Like 1