Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

You mean there's someone out there actually being positive?

Well, I suppose it makes a change from the relentless negativity that the media (newpapers, TV, radio) have been pumping out the last 2 months.  

Come on, everyone knows that relentless negativity is a very now type of outlook on the world at large.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

See Dr karol Shikora's tweets have stopped coming up.

See he has a history of being relentlessly positive and bending the truth if Google is to be believed. I assume he's after a place on sage or something.

Might not helped that people digging up his tweets when this all kicked off suggesting that a return to normality would occur on 1st May. 

His career is littered with controversy - so I don’t know if it’s some face saving exercise he’s on 

• Like 1

Science is learning about CV - when lockdown was introduced, there was little evidence about outdoor transmission. Now there is and part of that knowledge means that a judgement has been reached whereby the vulnerable can be outside in public if they’re v careful about distancing

a lot of scientists are mentioning that we are relaxing lockdown with a higher daily rate of deaths than when we entered ........isnt that true of every nation that hasn’t managed to suppress this thing ??  We know that deaths are a lag indicator and we have to try and deal with the here and now.  But I have little confidence that people can be sensible enough to keep this under control - just hope that the good weather continues and offices manage their staff well. my main concern continues to be public transport, especially in busy urban areas. 

• Like 1

Just been for a walk and the biggest football game I’ve ever seen ( well maybe since school ) is already underway at the local park. Probably about 20 sunbathing bikini clad teenagers too ( you have to be a bit careful with that )

Has to have been organised! Bit surprised teenagers out of bed at this time on a Sunday

bloody scorching down here though. Definitely burnt my head. 

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

Just been for a walk and the biggest football game I’ve ever seen ( well maybe since school ) is already underway at the local park. Probably about 20 sunbathing bikini clad teenagers too ( you have to be a bit careful with that )

Has to have been organised! Bit surprised teenagers out of bed at this time on a Sunday

bloody scorching down here though. Definitely burnt my head. 

I think a second spike is inevitable now, isn't it?

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

You mean there's someone out there actually being positive?

Well, I suppose it makes a change from the relentless negativity that the media (newpapers, TV, radio) have been pumping out the last 2 months.  

Heaven forbid the media should cover a negative situation negatively.

• Haha 1

I was more relaxed when the numbers were increasing, I expected that. Now the numbers aren't dropping as quickly as they have elsewhere and we seem to be ignoring that in order to start opening the vast majority of the country up again. I know we can't stay like this forever, but we also can't have a huge second spike or we'll be back in lockdown, that's going to catastrophic for companies already struggling.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Strokes said:

I know it probably sounds ungrateful but the sooner the avengers get here to protect the better, wtf are they pissing around at? 

Where is Nostradamus when you need him  i am sure he would have predicted the two major events of the first 25 years of the 21st century us winning the league and COVID19.

• Haha 1

Sikora is a cheerleader and i massively question his motives.

He has only become prominent in this pandemic because of the fact he is a "Professor" (not of virology or epidemiology mind) which somehow legitimises his positivity as "fact" in the minds of many people who use that positivity as a coping mechanism. 

• Like 3

The problem with shielding being reduced too soon is that people have gotten used to being in lockdown and the transition out and then back in will take time, so it's absolutely critical to get the timing right. I'm of the opinion that it's better to be safer so waiting a little longer should not be a problem. 

The economy is suffering but people should think about the long term consequences if the virus cannot be controlled to a safe level right now. It will take another few months to sort out for something that could be avoided by waiting a couple of weeks. 

33 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Not sure how i feel on shielding being reduced. The risk hasn't gone, its still there and arguably just as prominent for those members. We seem to be releasing everything very quickly 

21 minutes ago, shailen said:

The problem with shielding being reduced too soon is that people have gotten used to being in lockdown and the transition out and then back in will take time, so it's absolutely critical to get the timing right. I'm of the opinion that it's better to be safer so waiting a little longer should not be a problem. 

The economy is suffering but people should think about the long term consequences if the virus cannot be controlled to a safe level right now. It will take another few months to sort out for something that could be avoided by waiting a couple of weeks. 

I think I've become a bit institutionalized if I'm honest.

I got a letter/texts telling me to shield until end of June so subconscious I've planned to not venture out again until at least then. 

It's strange because my job involved quite a bit of travel and face to face interaction but going back to all that feels a million years away. 

I've got used to my hermit lifestyle now I think and feeling quite nervous about taking on the outside world again :unsure:

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

One of the conditions was severe asthma though lol

A respiratory illness, severe one at that, not listed as high risk against a virus that attacks the respiratory system. 

Makes sense lol

Maybe it's a decision taken after new information has come to light? I did post a research paper a few weeks back that analysed UK deaths which showed having bad asthma was about as dangerous as being BAME. 

I suspect that many who have been shielding themselves for the last 10 weeks will continue to do so until they are convinced in their own minds that it is safe to venture out, regardless of what the government tells them, myself included.    

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I think I've become a bit institutionalized if I'm honest.

I got a letter/texts telling me to shield until end of June so subconscious I've planned to not venture out again until at least then. 

It's strange because my job involved quite a bit of travel and face to face interaction but going back to all that feels a million years away. 

I've got used to my hermit lifestyle now I think and feeling quite nervous about taking on the outside world again :unsure:

They refereed to it just being advice on leaving, so if you aren't comfortable leaving the house and can still stay in, then i dont see any reason to not.

Honestly, I don't feel hugely confident leaving the house and venturing too far out simply due to the number of people who feel they're able to ignore the distancing rules

5 hours ago, bovril said:

I'm sorry but this really does my head in. It is seriously unlikely that things will get anywhere near back to normal anytime soon, despite what Dr Sikora keeps suggesting in his tweets. The more people buy into this the more you're going to see people taking unnecessary risks. I'm not saying you or anybody else on this forum will, but there are millions of people in the UK that will happily convince themselves that something is true because they want it to be true. My parents are in the high risk category. Ok they're mostly at home at the moment but at times they need to go out. I do not want them being put at risk by gurning idiots complaining about negative Nancies in the media. 

I wasn't agreeing (or disagreeing) with anything Dr Shikora has said.  I was making a general point.

I'm just sick of this morbid masochistic media fest, that postively revels and gloats in every bit of bad news it can find.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, martyn said:

Sikora is a cheerleader and i massively question his motives.

He has only become prominent in this pandemic because of the fact he is a "Professor" (not of virology or epidemiology mind) which somehow legitimises his positivity as "fact" in the minds of many people who use that positivity as a coping mechanism. 

Doesn't even treat respiratory diseases but the masses love him.

Guest Markyblue
10 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Doesn't even treat respiratory diseases but the masses love him.

Thats the problem you see they let the masses vote on things as well, when really some people on a leicester city forum know so much more.

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

I suspect that many who have been shielding themselves for the last 10 weeks will continue to do so until they are convinced in their own minds that it is safe to venture out, regardless of what the government tells them, myself included.    

Sensible approach String, after all the government are only saying you could go out if required or have 1 person in your garden keeping to the social distancing rules to get some face time with family, they are not telling all those that have shielded that they must leave their homes.