Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

50 minutes ago, Buce said:

What concerns me is how so many people are prepared to accept the increasing denial of civil liberties over this, alarmingly, people who would normally be up in arms. The govt are using this crisis to move further to the right, and very few are saying anything because of the virus. The new Bill restricting protests is a disgrace but is largely going under the radar; Covid passports are the thin end of the wedge too: what's next, identity cards? Apps that contain your medical history? Does anyone seriously think any of this power will be relinquished once the virus is under control?

What's so bad about identity cards? Almost all the countries of Europe have either compulsory or voluntary ID cards. Much of Asia and South America has compulsory ID cards. In an increasingly paperless world, trying prove who you are would be much easier if we all had them, because not everyone has a valid passport or a driving licence. On the question of vaccine passports, my view is that the idea should be abandoned and restrictions lifted, then if the virus surges up again, so be it.    

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

It's a difficult one to be sure.

I think there is a distinction to be made between measures taken to address something not caused by humanity at all (and this can apply to any such natural crisis) and those caused by humans. The latter are often a matter of political policy and are mostly not needed, coming about because a government has usually screwed up policy-wise somewhere (which can and should be remedied). The former, while they can be used by a malicious government in exactly the way described, are sometimes needed simply because nature cannot be bought or negotiated with and all that is left is to adapt to the changes or face dire consequences.

Yes, there's definitely an extraordinarily fine line between such regs being used as a positive or a negative, but that shouldn't, cannot, detract from the necessity of them at some points in time.

Do Korea just operate their track and trace? I notice they have decent numbers now at football games etc. 

Alongside the civil Liberty argument, after the UK’s attempt at track and trace, I really fear another truck load of money wasted doing a poor job with it 

Can anyone define what a vaccine passport is ??

as I understand it, it could be evidence that you’ve been vaccinated, had the virus within past six months or of a negative test that day. 

it’s possible that some could be over reacting because of a lack of detail . Surely no one can object to being asked to take a lateral flow test to access a mass gathering or nightclub ????

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

as I understand it, it could be evidence that you’ve been vaccinated, had the virus within past six months or of a negative test that day. 

it’s possible that some could be over reacting because of a lack of detail . Surely no one can object to being asked to take a lateral flow test to access a mass gathering or nightclub ????

We've still got people objecting to wearing a piece of cloth over their face, sure you'll find some for this. lol

But it's true enough, if the vaccine passport is supposed to be digital, should be easy enough to scan it and have it say something like "tested negative within last 24 hours", or tested positive x months ago etc etc. Then you've just got to deal with the people still rocking nokia 3210's and we're on.

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I agree.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-what-are-vaccine-passports-and-how-might-they-work-in-the-uk-12265384

Edited by String fellow

Yet again a load of fear mongering, info filtering nonsense on this thread. It’s more interesting to think that your life is a movie and people are out to control you than trust an encrypted app that turns green or red after proof of fully vaccination or negative test.

It’s genuinely like a lot of people do not and are not interested in reading the details and science behind these things. That’s far more worrying to me than some of the worries and fears being spouted in this thread. 

Edited by KFS
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

100%. NY are using the Excelsior pass this week to get 10k Yankees fans into the stadium. It uses blockchain technology to pass a water tight code from your vaccine card to the app which provides a green or red. Or if you haven’t had a vaccine yet you have to provide a neg test 6 hours prior to the event and again the app will be red or green.

What the fvck about that is the new world order versus stopping other outbreaks and trying to get us back to normal? 

I’m sorry but I’m losing my shit with people who are anti science and anti education. 

• Like 1

And before anyone comes back with ‘well it’s because I have to versus being able to do things of my own freedom’

Try telling that to the millions dead. You are in a new world where this was always a threat. Please provide a better solution once you have read the technology and studied the science before blindly spewing things to scare other people.

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

But why would there be a great need. As currently half of the population and all the high health risk people have had the vaccine. 

We don't expect people to take a flu test before entering a venue and the take up of the flu vaccine is far lower.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

But I don't think there is any scientific value to your assumption that children do not get immunity by catching the virus.  I'm sure there is no scientific value to your assumption that the vaccine provides either total protection or zero protection - numerous studies show that vaccinated people who get the virus, get it less virulently.  I have no idea how you get the conclusion that a third wave in vaccinated Britain could be similar to a third wave in unvaccinated Italy. 

I am often bewildered by your posts, but your contrary knee-jerk responses almost invariably beggar belief. You don't appear to read or understand other people's input and because of this, whether intentionally or not, reply with a series of strawman logical fallacies and tangential oblique arguments. 

Science currently does not tell us about reinfection or indeed how long the vaccine protection lasts and one of the biggest unknowns concerns transmission. I have made no such assumptions - indeed, my point is that we simply do not know. What's yours?

Also, I simply observed that a third wave in the UK may result in renewed clinical burden much like we are witnessing in Italy. My reasoning is clearly detailed. 

If we exercise caution and patience and are measured in our response, we will drive down the reproduction number and emerge from this. Normality for many, I pray, will resume. For me, I'm not so sure. The continued restrictions have exacted a heavy toll, in part based on the recklessness last year. Not even sure I'll have a job beyond this. I desperately need this to end for multiple reasons, but as long as irrationality and impetuosity prevail over logic and reason, the more this misery will be protracted for us all. 

Edited by Line-X

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I suggest that you avoid this thread like the coronavirus then. 

It’s one step forward and two steps back. Every time something is suggested that will allow me to see my family again we get a herd of people with a reason as to why it’s ‘the government out to get them’. Why is that content easier to digest and understand for people than the actual science behind the vaccine and the tech behind the pass? 

All the while we need people to be onboard or none of this works. I’m sick of this pandemic. We all are. Delaying the bounce back only happens if people don’t learn and understand what it takes to get us out.

10 minutes ago, Otis said:

But why would there be a great need. As currently half of the population and all the high health risk people have had the vaccine. 

We don't expect people to take a flu test before entering a venue and the take up of the flu vaccine is far lower.

Do you have any insurance policies ???

and why oh why are people still comparing flu and covid ???

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Yes i have insurance for reasonable risks.

Flu kills people and Covid kills that's why.

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yes i have insurance for reasonable risks.

Flu kills people and Covid kills that's why.

Cancer kills people but we don’t compare the two ......heart disease kills people but we don’t compare the two 

Covid is way more infectious and way more dangerous than flu .....it’s like comparing an adder bite with a that of a black mamba .....

12 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Basically in favour of anything that gets us back to normal as quickly as possible. But I can't go to the fa cup final unless I've had a vaccine or a negative test to stamp my passport? What if I can't get hold of either? How do you regulate that one?

I’m sure that You will have ample opportunity to get what you need to access the stadium.  I suspect a neg test will be much easier to obtain than a vaccination ! 

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Almost 2,000 people die in car accidents every year. We should start driving cars into people because I haven’t died in one yet

34 minutes ago, KFS said:

100%. NY are using the Excelsior pass this week to get 10k Yankees fans into the stadium. It uses blockchain technology to pass a water tight code from your vaccine card to the app which provides a green or red. Or if you haven’t had a vaccine yet you have to provide a neg test 6 hours prior to the event and again the app will be red or green.

What the fvck about that is the new world order versus stopping other outbreaks and trying to get us back to normal? 

I’m sorry but I’m losing my shit with people who are anti science and anti education. 

OK, how about I turn this the other way around? 

That you have to have a passport giving a green or red to  illustrate if your are fat fcker or doddering pensioner. And if you are, you can whistle for sport or restaurant or theatre or holidays.

Is that acceptable?

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Cancer kills people but we don’t compare the two ......heart disease kills people but we don’t compare the two 

Covid is way more infectious and way more dangerous than flu .....it’s like comparing an adder bite with a that of a black mamba .....

You know very well why cancer and heart disease isn't comparable. It's not contagious. 

I agree Covid is more dangerous than the flu but we now have a vaccine that's + 95% effective. So with the vaccine the death rate should drop to flu death rate level or maybe less.

If we can't get back to normal with the vaccine then what's the point.