Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Indeed - which is why I said this -

Do try to keep up.

So apologies. Even in view then of the appreciable uncertainties and the multiple variables/unknowns governing infection, reinfection and transmission - you do in fact think it's safe and possible to conclude at this stage that the proposed roadmap to recovery is "s**t, far too slow"?

Righto. Got there in the end. Thanks. 

Well done.  There are certain national publications where the ability to condense a nuanced argument into any one-word conclusion you like is a valuable skill.  Perhaps you should get a job writing for one of them.

4 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Well done.  There are certain national publications where the ability to condense a nuanced argument into any one-word conclusion you like is a valuable skill.  Perhaps you should get a job writing for one of them.

A nuanced argument indeed - and governed by a very complex set of mutable variables. Which is why I'd suggest that reducing an appraisal to the current roadmap proposals to "shit, too slow" as being both presumptuous and simplistic. I simply asked you if you agree - yes or no. We got there in the end...sort of. 

There are certain public forums in which condensing a nuanced argument into opinionated populist three word comments and contrary rebuke is a valuable skill. Congratulations. 

46 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The vaccine take up has got to improve. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-56488779

And that's a poor take up from those on the books. 

Pure guesswork but I suspect there will be several thousand off the grid living in Leicester who haven't been invited for jabs and never will be.

43 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The vaccine take up has got to improve. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-56488779

I presume this is due to the reluctance of the ethnic groups ie majority in Leicester to take up vaccine? Have the faith leaders become involved - surely this would help. For example, in Oxford I understand there is a higher take up rate as there is encouragement at mosques (mainly muslim minority). Perhaps a quicker 'hit' would be to encourage the leaders/preachers in mosques & mandirs to ask their congregation to get vaccinated - for the health and well-being of everyone.

“Leicester’s a shithole” is the biggest Piers Morgan belief I’ve ever seen, there’s no way people say it in seriousness. I assume its said for attention or by the perennially miserable. 

Coventry, Wolverhampton, Bethel Green, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Hull... these places are shitholes. Leicester is an average (or slightly below average if you’re so willing to drag it down) English city. Of course it has its rough areas but if that’s your categorisation of shithole then 99% of human settlements are shitholes. 

36 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

Can see nearly half the shops in town closing in the next couple of years and the city centres becoming really run down as the economic impact takes hold. 

I agree that’s the case but lockdowns has only sped up the process really, this has been the inevitable destination of the high street for the last 15 years. It will take some creative planning to think how to rehabilitate town centres when the penny finally drops.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Pathetic and embarrassing. How stupid can a city be?

I know of an admin of a local Leicestershire-based private Facebook group (that's essentially designed to be a noticeboard for people in a certain local area and which has several thousand members) who is using said group to spread disinformation and conspiracy about Covid and the vaccines.

People like that are held as minor influential figures in the community and vulnerable/gullible people listen to them.

It's incredibly sad and genuinely gives me a heavy heart to know that this is happening so close to home and will potentially affect people I know.

23 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Coventry, Wolverhampton, Bethel Green, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Hull... these places are shitholes. Leicester is an average (or slightly below average if you’re so willing to drag it down) English city. Of course it has its rough areas but if that’s your categorisation of shithole then 99% of human settlements are shitholes. 

Having lived in both Coventry and Hull in my time, I can confirm that Leicester is paradise in comparison.

Guest Harrydc

Just thought I'd pop my head in and say vaccine passports / freedom passports are a disgrace and they're a direct attack on our basic liberties and freedoms. 

Out ancestors who fought for our freedoms would be turning in their graves. 

6 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Just thought I'd pop my head in and say vaccine passports / freedom passports are a disgrace and they're a direct attack on our basic liberties and freedoms. 

Out ancestors who fought for our freedoms would be turning in their graves. 

None of us are surprised Harry .........

I suspect our parents and grandparents who fought for our freedoms would be proud of the communal effort that’s gone into preventing this pandemic being as deadly as those that have gone before .....

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

What does "end of covid restrictions " mean?

I obviously misunderstood as I assumed it would mean no more social distancing rules. All this tall of testing and passports. Is this just till June or is the phrase "end of covid restrictions" misleading or a bare faced lie?

23 minutes ago, filbertway said:

What does "end of covid restrictions " mean?

I obviously misunderstood as I assumed it would mean no more social distancing rules. All this tall of testing and passports. Is this just till June or is the phrase "end of covid restrictions" misleading or a bare faced lie?

Read this and you will understand how once we hit June 21st, nothing will really change...

S1182_SPI-M-O_Summary_of_modelling_of_easing_roadmap_step_2_restrictions.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Drawing attention to two aspects of this in particular:

image.png.9f6f99626e9f3dca639e5f8947f5cbd7.png

image.png.771412f93d2f1c0123536eaf986e8f3d.png

Those assumptions are most likely inaccurate, as has been the case over the last 12 months, but as SPI, Sage, Imperial and the like churn it out, nothing changes.  

Today's "grab your free covid tests" campaign is further evidence of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Read this and you will understand how once we hit June 21st, nothing will really change...

S1182_SPI-M-O_Summary_of_modelling_of_easing_roadmap_step_2_restrictions.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Drawing attention to two aspects of this in particular:

image.png.9f6f99626e9f3dca639e5f8947f5cbd7.png

image.png.771412f93d2f1c0123536eaf986e8f3d.png

Those assumptions are most likely inaccurate, as has been the case over the last 12 months, but as SPI, Sage, Imperial and the like churn it out, nothing changes.  

Today's "grab your free covid tests" campaign is further evidence of it.

Tell that to nightclubs.....and bars with DJs etc.

• Like 1