Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

58 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Let's look at the facts shall we. 

Deaths in England have been below the 5 year average for the previous 12 weeks. 

There are 1048 patents in hospital WITH Covid 19. 

There are 1257 hospitals in the UK. 

Less than 1 per hospital on average. 

June 21st to be 'delayed'? 

Get a grip. 

You realise it’s about trends and not the numbers right NOW don’t you. FFS I mean it’s literally the most basic of things.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Surely those figures are because of the restrictions though, and will potentially increase if the restrictions are lifted? Are those stats not, in fact, proof that the restrictions are working? 

Restrictions obviously work, I don't think anyone would debate that, if they did they'd be foolish too. But there's got to be a turning point where we've done all we can to prevent this and the 'cure is worse than the disease' so to speak. I don't think we're there just yet, but we will be soon enough.

4 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

If this virus keeps mutating and coming at us in waves every year for decades and decades? Yes, we need to adapt. It's what the human race does and it does it very well. We have no God given right to live how we did before.

Isn't that what every virus does regardless, there isn't any way of stopping that is there?

I genuinely think we'll get protests and some violence next week once Boris announces restrictions will still be in place, probably after the England Scotland game lol

Guest Harrydc
7 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

If this virus keeps mutating and coming at us in waves every year for decades and decades? Yes, we need to adapt. It's what the human race does and it does it very well. We have no God given right to live how we did before.

Oh ffs. The very thing you want us humans to adapt too is the most anti human thing possible. Being human is about interacting with other humans. We were always told the 'vaccine is our route to freedom', with Matt Hancock telling us to 'cry freedom' when the old and vulnerable are vaccinated. 

50 MILLION have now had both doses, yet we still have to anti social distance, we still have to wear masks, we still have to track and trace and we're still under pathetic nonsensical restrictions. 

Enough is enough. 

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

I love the keys and spoons and whatnot sticking to you trick.  Good for parties and impressing small children.  Not such a great legal defence though. lol 

These are the “expert witnesses”, the doctors and nurses held up a the poster children of anti vax because they hold the most basic of medical qualifications. 

****ing unreal, the “I discovered something during lunch” line gets me, like she’s Einstein and had an Eureka moment.

9 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I appreciate you are a clever guy and I respect your opinion but this has gone full circle in the last 24 hours and won’t reply because I’ll end up getting angry

1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

Oh ffs. The very thing you want us humans to adapt too is the most anti human thing possible. Being human is about interacting with other humans. We were always told the 'vaccine is our route to freedom', with Matt Hancock telling us to 'cry freedom' when the old and vulnerable are vaccinated. 

50 MILLION have now had both doses, yet we still have to anti social distance, we still have to wear masks, we still have to track and trace and we're still under pathetic nonsensical restrictions. 

Enough is enough. 

29 million have both doses, you are 21 million out. 

13 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

That’s just it isn’t it, people haven’t grasped that something could happen that changes life forever. Whether it’s a mutation, a completely new virus, a volcano or a bleeding meteor from space. Something can easily feck up life as we know it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I appreciate you are a clever guy and I respect your opinion but this has gone full circle in the last 24 hours and won’t reply because I’ll end up getting angry

I'm really not, I can assure you I'm a ****ing idiot. 😂

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That’s just it isn’t it, people haven’t grasped that something could happen that changes life forever. Whether it’s a mutation, a completely new virus, a volcano or a bleeding meteor from space. Something can easily feck up life as we know it.

Roll on the lava if this is the new normal, I’ll scrub my bollocks in it.

edit- you are also agreeing with exactly what you were arguing wasn’t happening yesterday lol 

Edited by Costock_Fox

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Problem is people like the assurance that tomorrow will be just like today, the continuity of it all. Unfortunately, the rules of evolution that prize adaptation above all else don't play that way. So we could choose to ignore this...but it would end up being rather a short pathway, I fear.

So of course it's going to piss people off, but that doesn't stop it being true.

And this, of course, is part of the problem when it comes to dealing with difficulties like this - it's fighting the threat and what might be termed the human condition at once.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

As it would appear that a mask is ineffective against other respiratory viruses, perhaps we should all double mask instead.

Now, where's that peer reviewed paper?

E3hioLTVEAku5No.jpeg.jpg

I'd be interested to see those peer-reviewed papers tbh. As well as a more detailed explanation of how this graph in any way supports the above assertion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Bang on the money for me. There’s this assumption that us mere humans can second guess a virus. It’s highly unlikely to happen (I hope) but what if the virus mutates and started to put the under 30s in hospital, with a high rate of mortality? It’s not my area of expertise, so I’ll leave that to the people that know what they’re on about. My point is similar to yours though - we assume we have a right to what we perceive to be normal life, but the reality is we have very little control over what mother nature throws at us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Roll on the lava if this is the new normal, I’ll scrub my bollocks in it.

edit- you are also agreeing with exactly what you were arguing wasn’t happening yesterday lol 

I'm not. My argument was entirely based around the post that it's basically impossible to enjoy a summer under the current restrictions in this country. It's close enough to "normal" to do that, you can do ALMOST everything you could before with minor irritating compromises. 

Your lifestyle as you know it isn't guaranteed, jump on a plane to a huge numbers of countries or places on this planet and you aren't getting the lifestyle you are currently accustomed to. The old saying "first world problems" is probably apt. Moaning about having to book a table at a pub and having to wear a mask to the pisser... when someone people have to work hard for fresh water and don't even have a toilet. 

Lots of things happen that mean a compromise to our known lifestyles might be needed. Anyway, not getting into this again. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I'm not. My argument was entirely based around the post that it's basically impossible to enjoy a summer under the current restrictions in this country. It's close enough to "normal" to do that, you can do ALMOST everything you could before with minor irritating compromises. 

Your lifestyle as you know it isn't guaranteed, jump on a plane to a huge numbers of countries or places on this planet and you aren't getting the lifestyle you are currently accustomed to. The old saying "first world problems" is probably apt. Moaning about having to book a table at a pub and having to wear a mask to the pisser... when someone people have to work hard for fresh water and don't even have a toilet. 

Lots of things happen that mean a compromise to our known lifestyles might be needed. Anyway, not getting into this again. 

We might not be able to predict how a virus will behave, but I confidently predict that this is not your last post along these lines :D

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

At no stage have I said it’s impossible to enjoy the summer,  you asked multiple times for me to post a source where people were recommending social distancing forever. 

Neither am I, enjoy your weekend 

16 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Out of interest, what were they hoping the case/death levels would be by the 21st. Aren't we ahead of schedule with the vaccines?

Some of the better written/informed press have said they want the vaccine schedule to be in the high 90% when it comes to Over 50s given the Delta. They have brought forward second doses to that age group by four weeks as part of that.

To give an idea we have approx 7.5 million of the population between 50 and 59. 

7 million have had their first dose at that age group 

5.4 million had their second dose at that age group 

So we are at 72% 

As well as that there's a reluctance to see if the decentish double dose/hospitalisation rate continues. Ie. 3 hospitalised patients with Delta variant and double dosed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Bang on the money for me. There’s this assumption that us mere humans can second guess a virus. It’s highly unlikely to happen (I hope) but what if the virus mutates and started to put the under 30s in hospital, with a high rate of mortality? It’s not my area of expertise, so I’ll leave that to the people that know what they’re on about. My point is similar to yours though - we assume we have a right to what we perceive to be normal life, but the reality is we have very little control over what mother nature throws at us.

You've got it about right, I think.

Though we're beginning to assert more control over what nature throws at us, and as tech and science knowledge progresses that control will only increase. Which is a good thing; it's the only way we can defend ourselves.