Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

11 hours ago, Otis said:

it's really not mate.

400 odd people from a population of 68,000,000

I bet A&E get thousands of time-wasters every day.

Note, I'm not saying all of the 400 were time-wasters.

That's from all the people who've had the delta so far. If it's more transmissible, which they say it is (60% more) then the numbers will keep rising, 400 becomes thousands. It's not about the numbers NOW, it's about what numbers might become. It's going to spread faster and quicker, combine that with a fully open country and it could rocket. 

It's a concern. We weren't seeing much of a rise in cases at all until Delta took over and now they are skyrocketing, it's still early though. Unfortunately the decision has to be made Monday, if they had to make the decision in a couple of weeks they'd have much more data to work with, know more about how vaccines impact it etc. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Just got on a train from Waterloo East, swelteringly hot and packed, I would say over half of the people without a mask on. Big lads get on the train proudly looking around without a mask, as if they are hoping to be challenged. The mask-fine announcements and fine warning posters on the train are hilarious to me now.

Unfortunately non compliance has been a badge of honour for many throughout. 
these people are mainly anonymous in everyday life but this is there chance to get some attention 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FLAN said:

these people are mainly anonymous in everyday life but this is there chance to get some attention 

Much like internet conspiracy theorists/believers and self-appointed overnight 'experts' over social media. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

He talked about not putting pressure on the NHS, people turning up at A&E puts pressure on it

No it doesn't, too many people turning up at A&E puts pressure on it. If no-one turned up there wouldn't be an A&E.

I went on the NHS booking service on the morning it opened to under 30s and booked my first jab for Sunday.

The Mrs waited till last night to do it (after getting the go ahead from her midwife in the afternoon) and managed to get one this morning (must have been a cancellation).

I went with her and they happily did mine at the same time. 

On the NHS booking system my 1st appointment for Sunday is still showing. I daren't cancel it as you can only cancel both appointments at once, and I don't want to lose my 2nd appointment. Don't want to leave my Sunday appointment uncancelled though as it may well waste a dose.

Bit of a mess lol

Edited by DennisNedry

30 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It’s people like this I feel really sorry for. 

I feel sorry for the guy too, the government are failing in their duty of care to support such situations directly, to say nothing of failing to support a healthcare service enough so that those cancelled chemotherapy courses didn't happen.

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

weird that of 42 deaths so far from delta variant, 12 had been double vaccinated 

Presumably most of those 12 died of other stuff and just happened to have tested positive or maybe even a mild dose of the virus was too much for their medical situation??

Could have had the second vaccine while they had the virus but weren’t aware/ time wasn’t given for the second dose to kick in.

Hopefully I’m right but that would have been huge news if they were outside of the scenarios we have discussed.

41 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

weird that of 42 deaths so far from delta variant, 12 had been double vaccinated 

Presumably most of those 12 died of other stuff and just happened to have tested positive or maybe even a mild dose of the virus was too much for their medical situation??

13 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Could have had the second vaccine while they had the virus but weren’t aware/ time wasn’t given for the second dose to kick in.

Hopefully I’m right but that would have been huge news if they were outside of the scenarios we have discussed.

The majority of people who are extremely vulnerable to the disease (oldies) have been double vaccinated, so paradoxically I imagine it's quite likely those still dying will have received their vaccines. 

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc

Let's look at the facts shall we. 

Deaths in England have been below the 5 year average for the previous 12 weeks. 

There are 1048 patents in hospital WITH Covid 19. 

There are 1257 hospitals in the UK. 

Less than 1 per hospital on average. 

June 21st to be 'delayed'? 

Get a grip. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Headline figures like that miss a shedload of context. The double dosed are heavily represented by the most vulnerable groups. As we continue to vaccinate younger, healthier people, that percentage will likely get higher (relative risk of succumbing to covid still likely being higher in double dosed vulnerable groups compared to the very low risk groups).

The only relevant comparison to make really is the likelihood of a case progressing to hospitalisation/death pre vaccine versus that likelihood post 2 doses.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

No, you can still die of covid pneumonitis despite a double vaccination, just drastically reduces the chances of that happening for most people.

3 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

No, you can still die of covid pneumonitis despite a double vaccination, just drastically reduces the chances of that happening for most people.

I understand that, you don’t have to keep pointing out that vaccines aren’t 100% effective.

Could it be that some of these people hadn’t built up protection from the second jab? Some had very serious underlying conditions hence the second jab and then maybe a few have been really unlucky to be part of the few who still die after both doses.

Was trying to alleviate the panic that every post from @st albans fox tries to set off

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Get a grip. 

Hospital does not just mean hospital, most 'hospitals' you are talking about will be outpatient and day surgery etc. There are only 132 hospitals in the UK with a proper a&e, which would mean that's about the number that could care for a patient sick enough with covid that they need admitting (either to a respiratory ward or critical care).

You really need to try and just accept that the unlocking is being delayed. It is going to happen.

Edited by z-layrex

41 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Get a grip. 

Surely those figures are because of the restrictions though, and will potentially increase if the restrictions are lifted? Are those stats not, in fact, proof that the restrictions are working? 

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I understand that, you don’t have to keep pointing out that vaccines aren’t 100% effective.

Could it be that some of these people hadn’t built up protection from the second jab? Some had very serious underlying conditions hence the second jab and then maybe a few have been really unlucky to be part of the few who still die after both doses.

Was trying to alleviate the panic that every post from @st albans fox tries to set off

Panic? Common sense isnt panic. Everyone just needs to remember that while you are very much protected, you could still get covid and get sick. So live your life, but try and do it safely while the virus is still coming at us in waves. Too many people think we are 100% out of this once everyone is vaccinated and everything can just go back to how it was. Nature doesnt care.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Panic? Common sense isnt panic. Everyone just needs to remember that while you are very much protected, you could still get covid and get sick. So live your life, but try and do it safely while the virus is still coming at us in waves. Too many people think we are 100% out of this once everyone is vaccinated and everything can just go back to how it was. Nature doesnt care.

So in your opinion do you think we need to socially distance for the rest of mankind? 

PS- the government and scientists have said on multiple occasions “the vaccine is the way out of this”.

Edited by Costock_Fox