Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, personally

I was recommended to put a few Bob in by a good friend and very intelligent, well meaning lad who's been fascinated by crypto for years..it was against my better instincts. But I like to absorb other people's intelligence (as I do t have a lot,.not academic anyway) so went with it

Moral of the story...trust your instincts..i should've stayed well clear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Rolls Royce as well, last weeks quarterly financials were good. 
65% pre covid flying hours with China starting to slowly relax restrictions. 
£2bn wiped off the debt and the remaining debt is at fixed low rates. 
Record power systems orders. 
Defence doing extremely well for obvious reasons. 
Major SMR announcements expected before Christmas. 
Talk of dividends coming back next year. 

Standard ending of DYOR that rightly goes with these sort of posts. 

I hold RR too...but it'll be a long time until I'm back at break even with them!....but agree they're a screaming buy at the moment.

48 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Good time to up contributions, surely

Yeah maybe. My FA keeps telling me it's good to keep buying units every month but in reality all I'm doing is covering the fees and seeing no growth. 

I dunno. Only 7 years left until I get get my hands on it :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

End of each quarter mate so latest report is Sept 30th

Have things really picked up that much in the last 5 weeks? (I could get on-line access but then I'd be looking at it every day which isn't healthy)

Depressing to read the last few reports where I'm pumping cash in and it's barely standing still :(

And your FA is taking their annual commission irrespective of how much you’ve lost ! 

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

In fairness, most IFAs work on a percentage so if your investment or pension goes down in value their earnings drop as well

if your pension drops by 20k then their commission drops by £200 per percent they charge. I think they will cope better losing the £200 from their commission than you will losing the 20 grand! one is a drop in earning - the other is a straight loss. 

• Like 1

Here’s an investment idea…

- Short some company or other

- Set up a Twitter account in that company’s name and buy an $8 blue tick

- Post some fake news saying how badly things are going for said company

- Cash out

What a tosser Musk is. He’s had to row back on his Twitterblue AFAICT. Hope he goes bust.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

5 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

- Cash out

What a tosser Musk is. He’s had to row back on his Twitterblue AFAICT. Hope he goes bust.

Watching the mess he’s made of the whole Twitter thing (right from wanting to buy it in the first place ) , you do wonder how Tesla has become so successful. Or perhaps there is a lot of negative stuff in that business that we don’t know about ???  If I was a holder of Tesla then I’d be considering an exit,  depending on where I’d bought. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

- Cash out

I doubt he'll ever go bust... he's worth 208billion!!...😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

if your pension drops by 20k then their commission drops by £200 per percent they charge. I think they will cope better losing the £200 from their commission than you will losing the 20 grand! one is a drop in earning - the other is a straight loss. 

When my pension fund dropped by a third in value during the pandemic, the income of the product provider and the investment managers dropped by a third, but their overheads wouldn't have changed. Whilst I didn't enjoy watching that loss (and it's different if you're actually drawing on your pension) it's only a paper loss to me and its value recovered fully, but that was actual lost income for those providing the service/doing the work during the downturn.

Also, commission hasn't been allowed on pension and investment products in the UK for the last decade. Of course advisers/investment managers still get paid, but only fees agreed to by the client. I still hear the word commission used a lot, which historically has come with an implication that certain solutions are pushed because a commission is earned, and this just isn't the case now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Watching the mess he’s made of the whole Twitter thing (right from wanting to buy it in the first place ) , you do wonder how Tesla has become so successful. Or perhaps there is a lot of negative stuff in that business that we don’t know about ???  If I was a holder of Tesla then I’d be considering an exit,  depending on where I’d bought. 

It’s very confusing isn’t it!

35 minutes ago, rachhere said:

It’s very confusing isn’t it!

The theory on The Rest Is Politics was that he's gambled big on two things, Tesla and Space X, that worked out but that doesn't mean the next thing - Twitter, in this case - turns to gold as well.

I suppose you can say the same about Mark Zuckerberg - he's built Facebook, but that doesn't mean he can make a success out of creating a crap virtual world that looks like you're living inside a Nintendo Wii but not as good

42 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

When my pension fund dropped by a third in value during the pandemic, the income of the product provider and the investment managers dropped by a third, but their overheads wouldn't have changed. Whilst I didn't enjoy watching that loss (and it's different if you're actually drawing on your pension) it's only a paper loss to me and its value recovered fully, but that was actual lost income for those providing the service/doing the work during the downturn.

Also, commission hasn't been allowed on pension and investment products in the UK for the last decade. Of course advisers/investment managers still get paid, but only fees agreed to by the client. I still hear the word commission used a lot, which historically has come with an implication that certain solutions are pushed because a commission is earned, and this just isn't the case now

Yes - it’s called a management charge now. 

i take your point about their drop in earnings.  

41 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The theory on The Rest Is Politics was that he's gambled big on two things, Tesla and Space X, that worked out but that doesn't mean the next thing - Twitter, in this case - turns to gold as well.

I suppose you can say the same about Mark Zuckerberg - he's built Facebook, but that doesn't mean he can make a success out of creating a crap virtual world that looks like you're living inside a Nintendo Wii but not as good

I am not so much talking about his overall vision and ability to make choices of investment. It's more his bulldozer approach with people. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I am not so much talking about his overall vision and ability to make choices of investment. It's more his bulldozer approach with people. 

I think the two are linked. There's been plenty of allegations of some pretty grim stuff at Tesla but because it's such a shiny success story it doesn't seem to register.  I'm amazed he's so popular. He tweets some random crap and gets half a million likes (perhaps I'm jealous after gathering a grand total of 78 followers in 13 years)

Maybe it's because the nature of the product in the case of Twitter is that his influence and decision making is felt immediately and he's more exposed

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Too early to call it a mess. Musk was always going to go in and rip things up, can only judge an acquisition this size after 10 years or so 

49 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Is now a good time to open a stocks and shares ISA?

I know the whole 'long time in the market rather than timing the market' mantra but I still want to try and time it 😂

Who knows ?

I always say that if an advisor was that good, they’d be lying on a beach in the Bahamas and not cold calling me !

the markets do seem to be on the rise now

9 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Too early to call it a mess. Musk was always going to go in and rip things up, can only judge an acquisition this size after 10 years or so 

In social media, 10 years may as well be a lifetime in terms of how tech advances.

On the topic of Elon, SpaceX is something that a lot of folks seem to be forgetting, but at the same time I wish the man would rein in his ego a lot.

26 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

In social media, 10 years may as well be a lifetime in terms of how tech advances.

On the topic of Elon, SpaceX is something that a lot of folks seem to be forgetting, but at the same time I wish the man would rein in his ego a lot.

True but Twitter won't be a social media company in 10 years time, if it still exists. Same as Tesla won't be a car company, football clubs are no longer football clubs etc. An acquisition this size with the leverage that has been signed off, they are planning an empire i'd assume.

He is full of ego but I assume you need a lot of that to get to his position. I know nothing of the man but he must strongly believe in himself and everything he does.