Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

• 4 weeks later...

I know practically nothing about this subject but need to know something for work...

Why would an investment bank buy and sell exactly the same number of shares it owns in a company at the same time? I've read it could be "day trading"?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain!

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I know practically nothing about this subject but need to know something for work...

Why would an investment bank buy and sell exactly the same number of shares it owns in a company at the same time? I've read it could be "day trading"?

No expert in this sort of trading, but when you say 'at the same time' is that what's actually happening? I know that acquiring stock for very short periods of time is very much a thing, as when prices are volatile you can make a profit in a matter of minutes, seconds even

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

15 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Could have been a result of closing a short position they'd held?  Pre-agreed buy back price with another market maker and they were just selling it to them at market rate to buy back at the pre-agreed price.

12 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

No expert in this sort of trading, but when you say 'at the same time' is that what's actually happening? I know that acquiring stock for very short periods of time is very much a thing, as when prices are volatile you can make a profit in a matter of minutes, seconds even

Yeah, basically both the purchase and sale of the exact same number of shares have been mentioned in the same announcement.

4 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Could have been a result of closing a short position they'd held?  Pre-agreed buy back price with another market maker and they were just selling it to them at market rate to buy back at the pre-agreed price.

Right, thanks.

44 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Investment bank trading desks act as brokers, proprietary trading is a very small part now. A client will approach the bank saying I need X no of apple shares, the bank will go into the market and find a seller to connect to the buyer, and take a cut as a middleman. It’s done at the same time as the bank doesn’t want any risk (holding a share which can price fluctuate) on its books 

• Thanks 1

Latest quarterly pension statement just come through.
For all the money I’ve ploughed into it over the last few years, I’d have been better off just putting it under the mattress :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

For all the money I’ve ploughed into it over the last few years, I’d have been better off just putting it under the mattress :rolleyes: 

When's it dated? They're usually at least a few weeks old by the time they arrive and it may well be that the value's a bit higher as markets have recovered a bit in recent days

28 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

When's it dated? They're usually at least a few weeks old by the time they arrive and it may well be that the value's a bit higher as markets have recovered a bit in recent days

End of each quarter mate so latest report is Sept 30th

Have things really picked up that much in the last 5 weeks? (I could get on-line access but then I'd be looking at it every day which isn't healthy)

Depressing to read the last few reports where I'm pumping cash in and it's barely standing still :(

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

No need to look at pensions unless you’re very near to retirement, if you are, go and lynch truss. Equities have taken a hammering after being pumped up last year 

34 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

No need to look at pensions unless you’re very near to retirement, if you are, go and lynch truss. Equities have taken a hammering after being pumped up last year 

Unless you're buying an annuity, in which case give her a great big kiss.

Yum!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, weller54 said:

My tip..

Buy Airline stocks!

Especially easyJet and Wizz....lots of upside in them going forward IMO.

Rolls Royce as well, last weeks quarterly financials were good. 
65% pre covid flying hours with China starting to slowly relax restrictions. 
£2bn wiped off the debt and the remaining debt is at fixed low rates. 
Record power systems orders. 
Defence doing extremely well for obvious reasons. 
Major SMR announcements expected before Christmas. 
Talk of dividends coming back next year. 

Standard ending of DYOR that rightly goes with these sort of posts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

End of each quarter mate so latest report is Sept 30th

Have things really picked up that much in the last 5 weeks? (I could get on-line access but then I'd be looking at it every day which isn't healthy)

Depressing to read the last few reports where I'm pumping cash in and it's barely standing still :(

Mine's gone up quite a bit in the last week, but obviously it depends on what you're invested in.

I saw a portfolio manager's market update yesterday and it was pretty bullish really. There have been all sorts of market shocks but company earnings are holding up very well and regardless of what's going on this will translate into stock market growth eventually

• Like 2