Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

On 11/11/2022 at 14:28, Izzy said:

Latest quarterly pension statement just come through.
For all the money I’ve ploughed into it over the last few years, I’d have been better off just putting it under the mattress :rolleyes: 

Are you close to retirement then? If not, why are you concerned?

• Like 1

On 13/11/2022 at 08:15, Lako42 said:

You can't so don't try 

I'd agree with this. Depending on your age drip some money into something early doors, over time it should grow. I've stuck just £100 a month in a vanguard S&S ISA each month, you don't know its gone - split 50:50 in their 80% risk and 100% risk portfolio. Pre covid it was returning 16% per year. The de risk it in your 50s. Pretty simple.

18 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

7 years until I retire of which it looks like a recession for the next couple of years at least.

Of course I'm concerned. I'd imagine anyone with a significant investment that's going backwards would be concerned.

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

7 years until I retire of which it looks like a recession for the next couple of years at least.

Of course I'm concerned. I'd imagine anyone with a significant investment that's going backwards would be concerned.

Yes but 7 years is a good enough cycle for them to recover. Have you divested into something less risky, with smaller stable returns as you approach retirement. My pension is down 3% in last 12 months but up 5% in the last 5 years overall - which is a shitty return, take that 3% in last 12 months out... it would be between 6-7% but I'm only 34, and cant drawn for another 24 years

Edited by Tommy G

3 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Yes but 7 years is a good enough cycle for them to recover. Have you divested into something less risky, with smaller stable returns as you approach retirement. My pension is down 3% in last 12 months but up 5% in the last 5 years overall - which is a shitty return, take that 3% in last 12 months out... it would be between 6-7% but I'm only 34, and cant drawn for another 24 years

Are you a Chartered Accountant or Financial Advisor by trade?

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

58 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I was looking at retirement figures recently, my last annual statement was a couple of years old, so requested an up to date one. October was a bad time to do that! The annual payment listed per year is several £1000 less than my previous statement.

Fortunately, I have 6 to 16 years before drawing on it and for the payments to go back up.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 13:49, Tommy G said:

In my opinion I’d change to something much riskier at the age you are at. 

The stuff you are doing is for the older folk who don’t want risk.

My main pension fund has increased by 17,  19 and 22% in the last three years, then this year I’ve had a nightmare and am 14% down which is obviously painful.

But a young springer like you can ride the bad years, take a few punches but then have plenty of time to get them back through some big numbers. 

14 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

In my opinion I’d change to something much riskier at the age you are at. 

The stuff you are doing is for the older folk who don’t want risk.

My main pension fund has increased by 17,  19 and 22% in the last three years, then this year I’ve had a nightmare and am 14% down which is obviously painful.

But a young springer like you can ride the bad years, take a few punches but then have plenty of time to get them back through some big numbers. 

You are probably right, its just in a mixed portfolio with Royal London.

13 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

An interesting read, although I should point out I was a massive crypto sceptic already so feel free to accuse me of confirmation bias:

https://www.ft.com/content/028e0109-6e87-42ed-8480-996cf645ce04

I'll be honest, seeing crypto crash and burn amuses me a great deal.

A reasonable idea hijacked by an avaricious lack of concern for anyone outside of line of sight, spatially or temporally (as in part demonstrated by the massive environmental cost). The latter part of that sentence adequately describes the character of most "crypto bros", too.

Let it burn to the ground.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 13:22, Tommy G said:

Ha. I " retired" a year ago, ie decided to give up working. I have a small income from a property let and was planning on cashing my pension next year. As it has lost over 20%  of its value in the last few months means that I either have to get  by until it recovers or find some other  means of raising funds in the short term

10 hours ago, urban fox said:

Ha. I " retired" a year ago, ie decided to give up working. I have a small income from a property let and was planning on cashing my pension next year. As it has lost over 20%  of its value in the last few months means that I either have to get  by until it recovers or find some other  means of raising funds in the short term

What have you got it invested in, thats lost 20%? I've got it in a semi safe fund and it's lost 5%. When you say cashing your penion, presume you mean drawdown, in any case that wouldnt be all of it. So you can leave the rest and keep it invested, surely.

5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

What have you got it invested in, thats lost 20%? I've got it in a semi safe fund and it's lost 5%. When you say cashing your penion, presume you mean drawdown, in any case that wouldnt be all of it. So you can leave the rest and keep it invested, surely.

its in a medium risk managed fund with Aviva. Admittedly it has recovered a bit since the crash due to the mini budget farce. yes it will be moved to a draw down fund but i am rather relying on getting as big a tax free lump sum (25% of fund value at time of conversion) as possible. Would of cashed it earlier, before it fell, but am still waiting on a tax refund from HMRC after closing down my business which i was going to put into it.

2 hours ago, urban fox said:

its in a medium risk managed fund with Aviva. Admittedly it has recovered a bit since the crash due to the mini budget farce. yes it will be moved to a draw down fund but i am rather relying on getting as big a tax free lump sum (25% of fund value at time of conversion) as possible. Would of cashed it earlier, before it fell, but am still waiting on a tax refund from HMRC after closing down my business which i was going to put into it.

Do you need all the tax free lump sum in one go? If not, you can take a bit and delay the rest until it's (hopefully) recovered a bit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Do you need all the tax free lump sum in one go? If not, you can take a bit and delay the rest until it's (hopefully) recovered a bit

Thats what I am thinking. See what the annual bonus is in january

Edited by urban fox

19 hours ago, urban fox said:

Stick it in the lowest risk possible when you are within 3 years of retirement tbh. Saves all the headaches of big crashes, you are unlucky with the timing and the markets these past 12 months. 

Now, say a couple of years ago one were to see Man U shares on their arse and bought 50 for £550 and now they had increased by £300 in the last week…

What would one do? Wait for them to go beyond $20 a share as the market moots sale prices of the club being 5-9 billion and makes up stories about Apple buying the club or just sell and be happy with the £300? 

Not really sure what happens to share price in terms of value when a club is sold - I guess it depends on the structure of the deal and who buys it? Would it be best just to hold on and see what comes rather than get off the train too soon? 

What would others do?

Asking for a friend. (I would never have shares in such a club.)

Edited by Nick

58 minutes ago, Nick said:

Now, say a couple of years ago one were to see Man U shares on their arse and bought 50 for £550 and now they had increased by £300 in the last week…

What would one do? Wait for them to go beyond $20 a share as the market moots sale prices of the club being 5-9 billion and makes up stories about Apple buying the club or just sell and be happy with the £300? 

Not really sure what happens to share price in terms of value when a club is sold - I guess it depends on the structure of the deal and who buys it? Would it be best just to hold on and see what comes rather than get off the train too soon? 

What would others do?

Hold - it’s going to be sold for a lot of money. Can’t see it being less than the £5bn mooted.  current market cap is 3.5. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick said:

What would others do?

Depends on the demand.

If a couple of Saudis come it, shares will go up more, but it's a massive long term project with a crap infrastructure,  as anyone whose been to manure will testify.

If your mates made money on them, I'd get out with the profit.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Hold - it’s going to be sold for a lot of money. Can’t see it being less than the £5bn mooted.  current market cap is 3.5. 

17 minutes ago, Raj said:

Depends on the demand.

If a couple of Saudis come it, shares will go up more, but it's a massive long term project with a crap infrastructure,  as anyone whose been to manure will testify.

If your mates made money on them, I'd get out with the profit.

I guess there’s both sides of the coin right there!

Hard to know what to do!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Nick said:

I guess there’s both sides of the coin right there!

Hard to know what to do!

If stocks and shares were easy to make money on we would all be working at Wall Street!!!

• Like 1