Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

41 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Don't forget the chunky dividend!!..

Capital growth of 1.5% and annual dividend of circa 9%... You do the sums.

True. Not bad in that case.  I would still look at diversifying a little. 👍

24 minutes ago, Otis said:

True. Not bad in that case.  I would still look at diversifying a little. 👍

I do diversify..

LGEN are a part of my portfolio, but they're a good solid, high dividend paying Company.... Share price today 264p... which I believe is undervalued...

A great place to put savings IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

I do diversify..

LGEN are a part of my portfolio, but they're a good solid, high dividend paying Company.... Share price today 264p... which I believe is undervalued...

A great place to put savings IMO.

Do you manage yourself or via a platform like Vanguard, or IFA? Depending on your answer do you take the fees into account when measuring performance etc

Thanks

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Do you manage yourself or via a platform like Vanguard, or IFA? Depending on your answer do you take the fees into account when measuring performance etc

Thanks

Do it all myself.. under my control on a daily basis...some shares I will trade on a fairly regular basis, others, such as LGEN are income creators.

I know people who have managed investments and the fees are horrific!!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread I started back up.. The funds i started with on 2020 have all flatlined. So been uneventful. 

But I came on to tap the amazing intel that's been on this thread. Pension!

I'm 50. I reckon by the time I retire I'll have a fund of 100k absolute max. I own my own gaff outright and have a mortgaged half share with my ex in another. 

Beyond the modest savings I have invested in funds, anyone know.if.and how I'll finance an eventual retirement? Or is working til 72/73 the only answer now?

58 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Thought I'd bump this thread I started back up.. The funds i started with on 2020 have all flatlined. So been uneventful. 

I'm 50. I reckon by the time I retire I'll have a fund of 100k absolute max. I own my own gaff outright and have a mortgaged half share with my ex in another. 

Beyond the modest savings I have invested in funds, anyone know.if.and how I'll finance an eventual retirement? Or is working til 72/73 the only answer now?

How much retirement income do you think you'll need?

Can you sell your share of the other property? Equity release on your own might be something to consider if your funds run out and downsizing not an option

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

How much retirement income do you think you'll need?

Can you sell your share of the other property? Equity release on your own might be something to consider if your funds run out and downsizing not an option

What do you reckon based on today's living expenses? Gotta need 1200 quid a month surely? 

And yeah, the hope will be to claw 80k-100k back off the half share in the exes house at some point. 

I guess that gives 200k for an annuity. 

Yeah, reckon equity release would be plan b

30 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

What do you reckon based on today's living expenses? Gotta need 1200 quid a month surely? 

And yeah, the hope will be to claw 80k-100k back off the half share in the exes house at some point. 

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensions-and-retirement/pensions-basics/use-our-pension-calculator

This is quite a handy website for working out, roughly, what you'll need in retirement and how close you are to it.  Useful sliders at the end for running some sensitivity studies on age, amount you want etc.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

1200!!!.

Miles out I'm afraid. 

Basic living costs (mortgage free) in retirement is about £2000 a month. 

• Haha 1

Just now, weller54 said:

1200!!!.

Miles out I'm afraid. 

120 council tax, 150 gas and elec, 40 water, 60 band and mobile, 35 car insurance....400 a month for food, 400 a month for fun stuff / clothes / one off costs .....have i missed something? 

7 hours ago, weller54 said:

1200!!!.

Miles out I'm afraid. 

No way.

What you doing a cruise a month!

11 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

This might provide a bit of consolation if you ignore the bit about having a 'comfortable' retirement ("3 European holidays a year", "annual £1500 spend on clothes"etc).

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/discover/pensions-retirement/planning-for-retirement/what-is-the-average-uk-retirement-income#:~:text=Research suggests that a couple,56 per person per week

You're well on course to get the average UK retirement income for an individual - don't forget that the State pension (assuming you're entitled to that) is now over £10k per annum, leaving a bit of your personal allowance left so not all of your private pension will get taxed, meaning it goes further.

An annuity gets you certainty, and rates are much better at the moment than they've been for years, but that won't necessarily be the case when you come to retire. Loads of other stuff needs to be taken account of, but it's very much in your interests to get that pension fund as fat as possible ahead of stopping work

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Are you still working and employed, presume enrolled in your company scheme rather than a SIPP? If you are a 40% tax payer you can get higher rate relief on your penion contributions, some people aren't aware of this.

When do you plan to retire, presume 65-67? If you are 50 that is still 17 years to get your pension fund as fat as you can get it, I've not looked at annuity rates recently but even at drawn down that £100K combined with state would be ''ok''.

I'd get some advice from an IFA, I have 2 I use if you need a recommendation. I'm mid 30's so a while off retirement but keep a close eye on pensions and investments, the sole reason being I don't want to be chained to working any longer than required lol

Big difference between budgeting for a basic (mere survival) living pension and one that gives you at least a bit of comfort in your old age!.... 

Need to factor in whether you have grandkids, a pet, some interests when you retire (eg play Golf), have a weeks holiday etc ... Yes, you can 'survive' on £1200-1500 a month, but realistically it's a lot more than that and I'm speaking from experience. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

120 council tax, 150 gas and elec, 40 water, 60 band and mobile, 35 car insurance....400 a month for food, 400 a month for fun stuff / clothes / one off costs .....have i missed something? 

Also think of the things which are annual costs, holidays, season ticket, car tax and servicing, house insurance, house maintenance costs etc. How about how you'll update your car? 

How much you need and how much you'd like might be very different. 

Your basic costs shouldn't run to £2k but don't forget to add in cost for having a life. 

For a lot of us the constantly increasing state pension age becomes an issue, there might be a few years gap between retirement, private pension receipt and the state pension being paid. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Are you still working and employed, presume enrolled in your company scheme rather than a SIPP? If you are a 40% tax payer you can get higher rate relief on your penion contributions, some people aren't aware of this.

When do you plan to retire, presume 65-67? If you are 50 that is still 17 years to get your pension fund as fat as you can get it, I've not looked at annuity rates recently but even at drawn down that £100K combined with state would be ''ok''.

I'd get some advice from an IFA, I have 2 I use if you need a recommendation. I'm mid 30's so a while off retirement but keep a close eye on pensions and investments, the sole reason being I don't want to be chained to working any longer than required lol

If you think the IFAs are decent then yeah, pop over a DM with the details. Thx

Yes, I'm over the higher rate threshold atm but won't the extra relief you mention be done automatically via PAYE? 

As @FoyleFox says on post above, a slush fund for house maintenance and holidays and grandkids (bizarre thought at this point) prob adds 300 a month onto the monthly budget

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

If you think the IFAs are decent then yeah, pop over a DM with the details. Thx

Yes, I'm over the higher rate threshold atm but won't the extra relief you mention be done automatically via PAYE? 

As @FoyleFox says on post above, a slush fund for house maintenance and holidays and grandkids (bizarre thought at this point) prob adds 300 a month onto the monthly budget

I'll PM you. 

No you have to request it via HMRC over the phone, I just get it adjusted on my tax return (if you do one of those you can do it on there) 

Plus don't forget if you decide to do a drawdown on a pot of money whether a pension or an ISA or whatever form, the residual doesnt stop growing. If you have a 100K for arguments sake and drawn £10K a year for 10 years, it will probably last 11 years because of the continued growth on the undrawn amount. 

I’m 50 in a few weeks and plan to retire at 57 

I’m lumping as much as I can each year into my SIPP (while also paying off what’s left of the mortgage plus two expensive teenagers!)

Hope to have about £600k in there by 2030 which should hopefully last me until I’m 75 (I’ve no intention of living longer than that tbh)

• Haha 1