Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Now, say a couple of years ago one were to see Man U shares on their arse and bought 50 for £550 and now they had increased by £300 in the last week…

What would one do? Wait for them to go beyond $20 a share as the market moots sale prices of the club being 5-9 billion and makes up stories about Apple buying the club or just sell and be happy with the £300? 

Not really sure what happens to share price in terms of value when a club is sold - I guess it depends on the structure of the deal and who buys it? Would it be best just to hold on and see what comes rather than get off the train too soon? 

What would others do?

Asking for a friend. (I would never have shares in such a club.)

Sell at the top, will probably come down after a spike, then buy again at a cheaper price?

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Don’t listen to Raj! 😉

I did have a thought that they may not be selling at all and just made noises to move the share price up to stop it going down after the Ronaldo revelations and subsequent exit.

Edited by Nick

1 minute ago, Nick said:

I did have a thought that they may not be selling at all and just made noises to move the share price up to stop it going down after the Ronaldo revelations and subsequent exit.

I think the experience of the last few years has made some wealthy people realise that you can’t take it with you. no one is getting any younger and the longer you leave it to liquidate your assets into cash, the bigger the risk that a) they may not be worth what you think and b) you may not be around long enough to enjoy it  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Sell at the top, will probably come down after a spike, then buy again at a cheaper price?

Lol...if it was that easy to predict we would all be millionaires!!!

Who are you, Uri Geller???!

Edited by Raj

6 hours ago, Nick said:

Now, say a couple of years ago one were to see Man U shares on their arse and bought 50 for £550 and now they had increased by £300 in the last week…

What would one do? Wait for them to go beyond $20 a share as the market moots sale prices of the club being 5-9 billion and makes up stories about Apple buying the club or just sell and be happy with the £300? 

Not really sure what happens to share price in terms of value when a club is sold - I guess it depends on the structure of the deal and who buys it? Would it be best just to hold on and see what comes rather than get off the train too soon? 

What would others do?

If the £300 will make a difference to you, cash it in and move on. If you want to gamble, stay in. Retail traders trying to get too clever and play the market make me laugh, you have literally no black edge and no idea what’s really going on. You’ve got lucky in making a profit, take it and run, or stay in hope you get more luck. Either way, don’t overthink it, as your thinking will be largely irrelevant. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

If the £300 will make a difference to you, cash it in and move on. If you want to gamble, stay in. Retail traders trying to get too clever and play the market make me laugh, you have literally no black edge and no idea what’s really going on. You’ve got lucky in making a profit, take it and run, or stay in hope you get more luck. Either way, don’t overthink it, as your thinking will be largely irrelevant. 

Unless your whoareyou who can predict the "top" after a news feed!!!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Lol...if it was that easy to predict we would all be millionaires!!!

Who are you, Uri Geller???!

lol i wasn't being serious tbh, but you can sometimes use the data to predict how a market will go but obviously its just guess work.

I had an investment that went from 0.36 to 2 although my average buy is around 0.46, could have cashed out 4k profit, its now down to 0.90 / 1 but I have just held it as it will go back up past the $2 and it is a long term investment anyway.

Edited by whoareyaaa

13 hours ago, Nick said:

What would others do?

Could you sell enough shares to get back your original investment, so you’re just watching what happens with the profit?

Worst case then if it does go down again you will still be in profit, just not as much, and if it does rise more, if they do get a buyer then even better. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, steflcfc said:

Could you sell enough shares to get back your original investment, so you’re just watching what happens with the profit?

Worst case then if it does go down again you will still be in profit, just not as much, and if it does rise more, if they do get a buyer then even better. 

I did this with some AMC shares earlier this year when it was all kicking off with all that reddit stuff and gamestop (Or whatever they are called).

AMC shot up to about $50 so I sold to break even. Now they are back to about 10 but I dont care, as it's all free money from now 

• 3 weeks later...

I've just made my first ever investment. I opened as ISA through Dodl (AJ Bell) - for those who know about funds it's the Vanguard LifeStrategy 80% Equity Fund. 

I put half of my life savings in there (£10k). Within 2 days it's already lost £100. I know I need to stop checking it daily and leave it for at least 5 years, but it's quite jarring to see that much disappear so quickly 🥺😂

3 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

I've just made my first ever investment. I opened as ISA through Dodl (AJ Bell) - for those who know about funds it's the Vanguard LifeStrategy 80% Equity Fund. 

I put half of my life savings in there (£10k). Within 2 days it's already lost £100. I know I need to stop checking it daily and leave it for at least 5 years, but it's quite jarring to see that much disappear so quickly 🥺😂

If you're not approaching retirement and are investing life savings with a view to having them sit there long-term, you're right that you needn't keep looking at it and just check back periodically.

If you look at the performance of your fund over the past 5 years, you'll note that it goes up and down over the short term, but is up over the 5 years.

That's generally what most investors will see with long terms savings, just different volatitlity at different times in their life if they're actively managing them. Young and risky, usually look to see more volatility, but more long-term growth because they have the time to ride it out. Old and risk-averse, see less volatility, but less growth because as they just want to protect what they've got before retiring.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

You really do!

During COVID my pension fund lost £30k, it had recovered it all within months. Whilst I obviously didn't appreciate the drop (about 25%) at the time, I knew that where it was invested was likely to be the best place for recovering the losses.

Always important not to let recency bias infect decisions with investments, and like Sam says, look longer term and don't ignore the bigger picture

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

You really do!

During COVID my pension fund lost £30k, it had recovered it all within months. Whilst I obviously didn't appreciate the drop (about 25%) at the time, I knew that where it was invested was likely to be the best place for recovering the losses.

Always important not to let recency bias infect decisions with investments, and like Sam says, look longer term and don't ignore the bigger picture

Yep, I lost 14k on my pension, overtime it should all work out fine and dandy!!

It's hard not to, but dont check your investments daily!

4 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

I've been thinking  about this. Any more info you have would be handy.

22 hours ago, jonthefox said:

I've been thinking  about this. Any more info you have would be handy.

There's not a huge amount I can say mate, I am a total novice when it comes to investing really.

All I can say about the fund I chose to invest in is I had a look at it's performance over the past 5 years and compared it to equivalent funds (all high risk as I plan on investing for the long term) and picked the one with the best average return over that period. I know that "past performance is not indicative of future returns" but I don't find there's much more to go on.

Here's more detail about it: https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-lifestrategy-80-equity-fund-accumulation-shares/overview

• Like 1

On 17/12/2022 at 07:37, DennisNedry said:

I've got the same in 80% Vanguard Life Strategy fund, I feel your pain, its reduced double digits over the past 12 months, stick in there and past performance has shown it should see close to doible digit growth when the recovery returns. 

I've got some in my sons S&S ISA with Hargreaves Lansdown on the 100% equity, also lost sh*t loads - but he's 4 so plenty of years ahead hopefully.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2022 at 07:37, DennisNedry said:

I invested a lot of money just before COVID hit. Not too dissimilar amount to you, slightly less. It crashed barely 2 weeks after and I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

Having said that, left it in there and it was making profit 6-9 months later. Its a managed Stocks and Shares ISA. It's taken another hit recently what with the government fvcking up the economy 2-3 months ago, but leave it be and it'll recover. I have that hope anyway! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Tip..

Look at Legal and General (LGEN)..

I'm heavily invested here.

Solid place to put savings IMO.

8%+ dividend and progressive dividend policy.

Section in The Times today also tipping people to BUY.

I looked at this prior in Summer but opted for Direct Line.

This then duly dropped like a stone due to excess claims in winter and the dividend cut!!

Still a decent dividend- unless they cut this too!

Do your research properly and only invest what you can afford to lose!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Tip..

Look at Legal and General (LGEN)..

I'm heavily invested here.

Solid place to put savings IMO.

8%+ dividend and progressive dividend policy.

Section in The Times today also tipping people to BUY.

Only a 1.5% increase over the last 12 months, not great.