Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

16 minutes ago, ThurmastonFox said:

So how has the new year gone so far for my fellow investors?

My pension's dropped a bit in value over the last couple of weeks, which is probably proof of what I've been reading, in that the best value is currently to be found in the UK stock market

4 hours ago, ThurmastonFox said:

My banking shares have burst into life, but I guess that comes with the territory i.e. inflation and the anticipation of interest rate rises. Shame about my American growth stocks which have taken a bit of a beating..

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Are you in work? Assuming you're employed, pay into the pension scheme. That's the main investment most of us need to take seriously

I’m in the pension scheme yes, but I have some money that I’d like to make money on but I have no idea where to start 

On 17/01/2022 at 07:56, ThurmastonFox said:

LON:HUR has quadrupled since I bought it last year.

LON:NWG also looking really good for the longer term.

Both are risky in their own way with the pandemic and oil prices but I'm quite happy to let them run for a while.

As always, do your own research

42 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

I’m in the pension scheme yes, but I have some money that I’d like to make money on but I have no idea where to start 

You could do worse than read this.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/investment-beginners/

People on here mainly seem to be into buying individual shares.  Whilst this can be really exciting and the rewards potentially huge, the risks are pretty high and I'd only put money in to this that you're prepared to lose.

If you want you get a return greater than what you can get on a savings account, I'd look at funds, where you're basically buying shares in a portfolio of different stock rather than just one, so the risk is spread, and depending on what sort of fund it is, there will be someone deciding what the fund should hold, so no need to be an expert on that yourself. Even with these you've got to be prepared to invest for a good few years as the value can still jump around a lot in the short term.

There's some helpful content on the Hargreaves Lansdowne website that might be worth a look too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

People on here mainly seem to be into buying individual shares.  Whilst this can be really exciting and the rewards potentially huge, the risks are pretty high and I'd only put money in to this that you're prepared to lose.

If you want you get a return greater than what you can get on a savings account, I'd look at funds, where you're basically buying shares in a portfolio of different stock rather than just one, so the risk is spread, and depending on what sort of fund it is, there will be someone deciding what the fund should hold, so no need to be an expert on that yourself. Even with these you've got to be prepared to invest for a good few years as the value can still jump around a lot in the short term.

There's some helpful content on the Hargreaves Lansdowne website that might be worth a look too

I've been with HL for about 7yrs now via Stocks and Share ISA and the way you can buy into various Funds is excellent imo. They also minimise the charges for trading between funds, and as Belle said, the commentary is generally ok in the first instance (always do more of your own research). Each fund has a comprehensive section so you can get better with how they break down, who the manager is, their philosophy etc.. and they've also got a few good templates for the beginner investor so you can try and mitigate the risk as much as you are comfortable with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Just whacked abit on cineworld. Hoping the cinemas get going again after Spiderman and James Bond etc..

Have you seen their debt levels?? They had a nice bump just before Christmas when they pre-announced their profits, but that has since pulled back to a lower price. Follow the rollercoaster here and join your new mates in the chat at the bottom. Good luck!
https://www.lse.co.uk/shareprice.asp?shareprice=CINE

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

Have you seen their debt levels?? They had a nice bump just before Christmas when they pre-announced their profits, but that has since pulled back to a lower price. Follow the rollercoaster here and join your new mates in the chat at the bottom. Good luck!
https://www.lse.co.uk/shareprice.asp?shareprice=CINE

Some of the biggest companies  in the World,like apple have massive debt so I'm not bothered by that.

I'm just going on the under valuation of this stock and hoping we get back to "normal" life were cinemas are seen as a few hours respite  from the day to day sh1te.

Normally most shares I buy plummet so I'm not expecting anything less from this one!!!!

Stick to bellends shares trust suggestion rather than anything  I buy. I just like the ride!!!

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I use my SIPP for funds-investments, capital-preservation / all-weather trusts,  passive-trackers etc,  and use my stocks & shares ISA to play around with the riskier individual shares of companies that I like. Always thought that this was the best way to go about things!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

I use my SIPP for funds-investments, capital-preservation / all-weather trusts,  passive-trackers etc,  and use my stocks & shares ISA to play around with the riskier individual shares of companies that I like. Always thought that this was the best way to go about things!

A mix of approaches is always a good idea, I think. Hope it's working out for you!

13 hours ago, Raj said:

Just whacked abit on cineworld. Hoping the cinemas get going again after Spiderman and James Bond etc..

I’ve been in Cine since the start of the pandemic. Bought in when it was ridiculously low, tempted to sell when it went back above £1 but kept then bought more when it fell to the 30s. I like the incentive scheme they have for senior management to get the sp back to £3 and after the failure of streaming movies instead of showing them in cinemas I’m optimistic that the price will form up from here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThurmastonFox said:

I’ve been in Cine since the start of the pandemic. Bought in when it was ridiculously low, tempted to sell when it went back above £1 but kept then bought more when it fell to the 30s. I like the incentive scheme they have for senior management to get the sp back to £3 and after the failure of streaming movies instead of showing them in cinemas I’m optimistic that the price will form up from here. 

I bough AMC shares which was an off shoot the Games Corp reddit  surge.

Did well out of that and still sitting on a profit as I sold off a load for what I paid. 

The hardest part about buying shares is when to get in, and when to get out!!!!

But I suppose thats why the big boys earn millions in the city!

3 hours ago, ThurmastonFox said:

When you say that how much have you invested into that and do you just buy on a site like Hargreaves Lansdowne? I've never done this before it seems the sort of thing clever folk with good jobs do that can afford to take risks, I've never been able to figure how this would work but it sounds like an alternative to gambling and could go very wrong :(

2 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

When you say that how much have you invested into that and do you just buy on a site like Hargreaves Lansdowne? I've never done this before it seems the sort of thing clever folk with good jobs do that can afford to take risks, I've never been able to figure how this would work but it sounds like an alternative to gambling and could go very wrong :(

I buy shares through Hargreaves Landsdowne and they charge £15 to buy and about £12 to sell.

No annual charge.

As everything, you have to research and be willing to lose it all, obviously  less risk with blue chip companies like BP, Vodafone etc, but you never know, look at all the energy suppliers going bust.

Then  you decide do you want income, ie high dividend yield or growth ie going for the share price to rocket and make you loads.

I've got a few blue chips with good dividends and I've risked abit with growth ones.

Thing is, you are responsible as they are only a trading platform  but have loads of information  on the site. There are loads of chat sites for shares such as LSE but it's all about research and being responsible.

Mind you, I've been buying for about 30 years and still crap at it!!!!😁😁😁

1 minute ago, Raj said:

I buy shares through Hargreaves Landsdowne and they charge £15 to buy and about £12 to sell.

No annual charge.

As everything, you have to research and be willing to lose it all, obviously  less risk with blue chip companies like BP, Vodafone etc, but you never know, look at all the energy suppliers going bust.

Then  you decide do you want income, ie high dividend yield or growth ie going for the share price to rocket and make you loads.

I've got a few blue chips with good dividends and I've risked abit with growth ones.

Thing is, you are responsible as they are only a trading platform  but have loads of information  on the site. There are loads of chat sites for shares such as LSE but it's all about research and being responsible.

Mind you, I've been buying for about 30 years and still crap at it!!!!😁😁😁

Those trading fees are way too much. Plenty of platforms around that are far cheaper, or in fact free (Freetrade/Trading-212/Lightyear). All FCA approved.

50 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Those trading fees are way too much. Plenty of platforms around that are far cheaper, or in fact free (Freetrade/Trading-212/Lightyear). All FCA approved.

Annual fees though? 

Plus I'd have to pay transfer fees now to change to another platform?

2 minutes ago, Raj said:

Annual fees though? 

Plus I'd have to pay transfer fees now to change to another platform?

No annual fees as such. If you wanted to have a stocks and shares ISA with Freetrade (rather than a general investment account), last time I looked it was £3 per month. Lightyear are good, no fees whatsoever, unless you deposit more than £3000 per calendar month AND need to convert to Euros or Dollars to buy US or Euronext shares. Only then do they charge something like 0.35% currency conversion fee (only on the amount that exceeds the £3000 limit for that month). They don't yet provide an ISA but it looks like its coming this year.

I have a Lightyear account for US shares, and an iWeb ISA for UK shares. iWeb charge a flat-rate £5 per trade, but a rip-off 1.5% currency conversion fee if buying/selling non-UK shares. And also, they now charge a one-off account opening fee (£100 I think)

I guess it all depends on how often you trade, what type of investments you want, and whether you want an ISA wrapper around them.

• Thanks 1