Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

The Borussia Dortmund Model

Maybe I am being a little bit naive, but I think we seem to be adopting a model like Dortmund whereby we sell a star player for big money - having originally bought them relatively cheaply/come through the academy.

Every year we seem to be selling a player for big money and although we haven’t got the ‘pull’ of the big six maybe this is the route we’re going down; especially with the new training complex.

I am all for it if it

continues to be a successful model but our scouting network has to be basically fail proof.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Maybe I am being a little bit naive, but I think we seem to be adopting a model like Dortmund whereby we sell a star player for big money - having originally bought them relatively cheaply/come through the academy.

Every year we seem to be selling a player for big money and although we haven’t got the ‘pull’ of the big six maybe this is the route we’re going down; especially with the new training complex.

I am all for it if it

continues to be a successful model but our scouting network has to be basically fail proof.

We've had a few failures and just because we've signed a few good ones in the past, doesn't mean we always will.

I think we are more like RB Leipzig than Dortmund. That's because Dortmund are capable of raiding the Bundesliga for proven talent from other teams, for example just this season they signed Thorgan Harzard and Julian Brandt. Other than Ayoze Perez and maybe Jonny Evans, we haven't got a track record of signing the best player from someone else in the division, whereas we ourselves get raided perennially.

Where I see the similarities to Dortmund is in signing talented young players / academy players and developing them, e.g. Soyuncu, Barnes, Hamza, Maddison all fall into this category as well as many others. But even then we can't sign quite the same calibre of player, e.g. Ousmane Dembele was one of the highest rated young players in France when they signed him, Jadon Sancho was highly rated and Erling Haaland was wanted buy half the teams in Europe! We'd never be able to sign those sort of players right now, though maybe we can get to that level in the future.

Regardless the way the club is run these days is really nice. Focus on a sustainable model with world class training academy to be able to create a conveyor belt of players coming through and supplement those players with other scouted talents and mix in the occasional veteran that brings experience and mentorship with them. The whole club is following the same direction too, in Rodgers we have a world class coach that loves developing young talent. Our scouts are great at finding bargains, OHL gives us a club we can loan some players out to or use to get work permits for promising non EU players.

You can never predict the future but it's hard to see Leicester not being in an even better position than we are now in 5 years time. Perhaps not necessarily in terms of league position, but in terms of financials, playing squad, infrastructure and facilities.

Great time to be a Fox!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

I am all for it if it

Dortmund are the second biggest club in their league, we are not. That is the main difference between our two clubs and the potential we can reach imo. It will be a lot harder for us to get to their level - double our stadium capacity, be the most significant club in the midlands to the point that most of the schoolkids in Birmingham are plastics for us, be seen as a club with rich heritage and most importantly a regular chance at the title.

I can see what you're saying, but I think we won't be able to quite achieve their status.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think we are more like RB Leipzig than Dortmund. That's because Dortmund are capable of raiding the Bundesliga for proven talent from other teams, for example just this season they signed Thorgan Harzard and Julian Brandt. Other than Ayoze Perez and maybe Jonny Evans, we haven't got a track record of signing the best player from someone else in the division, whereas we ourselves get raided perennially.

Where I see the similarities to Dortmund is in signing talented young players / academy players and developing them, e.g. Soyuncu, Barnes, Hamza, Maddison all fall into this category as well as many others. But even then we can't sign quite the same calibre of player, e.g. Ousmane Dembele was one of the highest rated young players in France when they signed him, Jadon Sancho was highly rated and Erling Haaland was wanted buy half the teams in Europe! We'd never be able to sign those sort of players right now, though maybe we can get to that level in the future.

Regardless the way the club is run these days is really nice. Focus on a sustainable model with world class training academy to be able to create a conveyor belt of players coming through and supplement those players with other scouted talents and mix in the occasional veteran that brings experience and mentorship with them. The whole club is following the same direction too, in Rodgers we have a world class coach that loves developing young talent. Our scouts are great at finding bargains, OHL gives us a club we can loan some players out to or use to get work permits for promising non EU players.

You can never predict the future but it's hard to see Leicester not being in an even better position than we are now in 5 years time. Perhaps not necessarily in terms of league position, but in terms of financials, playing squad, infrastructure and facilities.

Great time to be a Fox!

I hope you are right, but IMO it depends largely on our  football club being able to retain Brendan Rodgers as our manager/Head Coach.

Also there is one other  thing stopping Leicester City being recognised as a 'big club'  & that is the capacity of the stadium. Psychologically a football club with a crowd capacity of 32,000 will never be considered to be a big club.  I know it is planned to increase it to 42,000, but I believe it will not be ready for a further 3 years or more?

Edited by bluebeau
my name etc is not shown

I think we’re trying to be something reminiscent to red bull in terms of having clubs where we can develop talent, early stages but if we can get Leuven in the Belgium pro league then we have a great opportunity to send players out on loan there, whilst also having the opportunity to buy players who can later be sold on for the benefit of Leuven financially / king power.   

also the Bulgarian team we’ve “partnered” with, wonder how that’s going to work going forwards.