Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

Huawei or not Huawei?

2 hours ago, Beechey said:

For a phone? No way since Google cut them off.

You can't even access Google's Play Store on Huawei devices anymore. If they develop their own OS, avoid Huawei phones like the plague.

For telecommunications equipment? I didn't have an issue when they were using US chips and limited to the edge of the network with a reduced market share.

However, now they'll be forced to develop their own chips, I don't trust for a second there won't be backdoors and horrendous bugs in their manufacturing and software development.

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I can on mine. Perhaps it's just new phones? 

2 hours ago, Walkers said:

I got a P30 pro a few months ago and Google is still a thing on there, but that is a year or so old now I think. Shame, I think they're brilliant

Yeah I got my phone in January and still have access to it. I am slightly worried about it though as I'm in the contract and didn't really think at that time it would pick up so much speed for a decision to be made 6 months later. 

The phone (p30 Pro) is superb. Never had such a good camera and/or battery life on one. Even 6 months in on previous phones I could tell the difference in battery life from the start to then. 

4 minutes ago, nnfox said:

It doesn't invalidate Sampson's initial point, which is valid.  It expands on it.  Handing over personal data (voluntarily or involuntarily) to giant corporations is one thing.  Paying them handsomely to give their government the potential to, for example, switch off all traffic lights (at the lower end of what's possible).

There's no problems with using Huawei devices, or Apple or Google or Facebook or Amazon.  People have the freedom to choose and agree to the relevant terms and conditions.

This Huawei 5g thing is a much bigger issue.  It's a bit like driving a car down a road where there is CCTV, ANPR and speed cameras along the route (Google, Apple and Facebook). People can use the road and accept that their movements will be monitored and maybe used for some purpose or other.  They do it day in, day out with no problem.  Then one day, the owner of the road (Huawei)

decides to dig it up and it can't be used by anyone, just because they can.

We have the expertise in our own country to develop and deploy a reliable and safe 5g network.  I guess it comes down to cost and presumably Huawei are pretty cost effective when trying to create a new network on a national scale.

That's right, and my point wrt the bolded is that the corps you mention could one day do exactly the same thing as Huawei/the Chinese government did in terms of "digging up the road" if they were so inclined and had similar control of infrastructure. Of course, it seems that they do not for the time being, but if Huawei are not going to be involved with that infrastructure, who will be? Whoever it is, will have similar power and there really aren't that many parties out there that can be trusted with it.

Totally agree with the last couple of sentences, this should be either kept in-house or perhaps shared only with places that don't in fact have a national or corporate self-interested axe to grind - if any exist with the expertise.

Much like with the covid tracing apps.. people love to say.. "oh yeh but facebook and google have all your info..etc"

Couple of differences... facebook and google do not have police forces that can lock you up, or change laws that can take your freedoms, oh and you can delete the apps and  nothing will be done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Much like with the covid tracing apps.. people love to say.. "oh yeh but facebook and google have all your info..etc"

Couple of differences... facebook and google do not have police forces that can lock you up, or change laws that can take your freedoms, oh and you can delete the apps and  nothing will be done.

It's much more than that. I've always been convinced Google/Facebook listen to you. Then of course, with the whole Alexa devices (which I find strange personally - why would I want something to turn my light off when I can get up and do it), they came out and said they do listen.

So yeah, I love to say stuff like that because it's true.

The whole thing of banning Huawei is because they're spying. So the comparisons with Facebook/Google are there because it's what they do, spy on people. What's Chinese laws or the fact they're communist go to do with it? This is about spying.

And what a surprise, Trump is taking credit for it...

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

It's much more than that. I've always been convinced Google/Facebook listen to you. Then of course, with the whole Alexa devices (which I find strange personally - why would I want something to turn my light off when I can get up and do it), they came out and said they do listen.

The whole thing of banning Huawei is because they're spying. So the comparisons with Facebook/Google are there because it's what they do, spy on people. What's Chinese laws or the fact they're communist go to do with it? This is about spying.

Reply All did a good episode on whether Facebook was listening to you and their  conclusion was they don't even need to, because they can tell when you're having conversations with people and what's likely or definitely has come up anyway.

People forget Facebook can see your location, where you've been recently, what websites you've been on at certain times - they also have your friends list and where they've been recently or visited websites at the same time as you. So they work out who you've been talking to recently - they can see if either of you googled anything during or immediately before or after that conversation etc. so they even can have a decent idea about what you've been talking about. Or what your friend has been searching for a lot recently and are therefore more likely to bring up in conversation.

Also facebook has access to your credit history and real-life purchasing history abd things like that too and has hundreds of different trackers on you online.

Therefore it's not difficult for them to give you very specific  targeted ads based on things they know you've talked about recently even without listening in on your conversations.

They said it was actually easier to give more specific targeted ads just to do through shared locations of friends and search and data history than listening in because it's harder for AI to make out specific words or phrases in crowded rooms or cities for example.

The truth is probably scarier than them actually listening to you - that they don't even need to.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

i agree with what youve said, my point was that with google or fb.. they do not have the power to take away your freedoms and change laws. and you can delete them any time.

I was born long ago
I am the chosen I'm the one
I have come to save the day
And I won't leave until I'm done
So that's why you've got to try
You got to breath and have some fun
Though I'm not paid I play this game
And I won't stop until I'm done
But what I really want to know is
Are you gonna go Huawei?
And I got to got to know

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

Reply All did a good episode on whether Facebook was listening to you and their  conclusion was they don't even need to, because they can tell when you're having conversations with people and what's likely or definitely has come up anyway.

People forget Facebook can see your location, where you've been recently, what websites you've been on at certain times - they also have your friends list and where they've been recently or visited websites at the same time as you. So they work out who you've been talking to recently - they can see if either of you googled anything during or immediately before or after that conversation etc. so they even can have a decent idea about what you've been talking about. Or what your friend has been searching for a lot recently and are therefore more likely to bring up in conversation.

Also facebook has access to your credit history and real-life purchasing history abd things like that too and has hundreds of different trackers on you online.

Therefore it's not difficult for them to give you very specific  targeted ads based on things they know you've talked about recently even without listening in on your conversations.

They said it was actually easier to give more specific targeted ads just to do through shared locations of friends and search and data history than listening in because it's harder for AI to make out specific words or phrases in crowded rooms or cities for example.

The truth is probably scarier than them actually listening to you - that they don't even need to.

Bloody hell! Yeah it's mental but I never considered all of that. That sounds an interesting episode/podcast, in whatever form it was.

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

i agree with what youve said, my point was that with google or fb.. they do not have the power to take away your freedoms and change laws. and you can delete them any time.

Sorry yeah, I wasn't necessarily neciserilly disagreeing with you. Just thought I'd add my thoughts.

• Like 1

It's a great podcast in general. They do more light-hearted investigative journalism on there but are really affable presenters.

The example they gave was this caller in the US who's mother had come in from a different state to visit for her birthday and they talked about going to a local perfume shop the next day, then when he logged on afterwards he found adverts for that exact perfume shop he'd never had before.

But the Facebook knew that was his mother because he'd set that on his profile. It knew she was visiting him because it knows both of their homes and he knows they're currently in the same location. It knows it's her birthday coming up because it's on her profile and things like family member or close friend's who you message a lot (bare in mind Facebook owns things like WhatsApp and Instagram and not just its own messanger too but all messanger services leave a digital footprint) or who it knows you are in the same location together often (someone might even create an even for a birthday) is a big flag.

Then it knows he and his mother had been in that particular local perfume shop together at the same time maybe 4 or 5 years ago in a trip neither even barely remembered. Ot also knew it was him who bought the perfume there from his credit file - and given perfume is unusual to buy for a man for himself and that particular perfume is more likely to be rbought for older women and his mum was there - it knew he bought a present there for her in the past.

And his mum had offhand browsed some perfume a couple of months back but decided to leave it for her birthday which it knows too.

Therefore that particular perfume shop is going to be very, very high in it's ad algorithm now it knows he and his mother were together. So it didn't even need to listen to their conversation.

Crazy when you think about it.

Edited by Sampson

I swapped my Huawei for a Samsung last year. 

Not because I think Huawei is spying on me or using my data any more than Samsung is, or Apple would, but because I was worried that Apps would work on it less and less.

I always tried not to give my details or sign up for stuff.  I hate being cold called and even salesmen knocking at my door are liable to be told to piss off.

At first, I was horrified that I would be discussing step ladders and then DIY sites would appear on my social media feed in the days after, or whatever.

There used to be a time when it was the stuff of dystopian sci fi - think of how weird and intrusive it seemed that there were targeted ads in Minority Report, etc.

Then I realised that 19 year olds sail though this stuff without worrying and it's mostly crusties like me worrying about it , that all the goodies we enjoy online come at a price and this is that price, and the data is mostly being used en masse rather than anyone taking an interest in me personally.

I am now a bit more relaxed about my data being fed through an algorithm to try and sell me stuff, if that pays for some of the stuff I enjoy on the internet.

Not so relaxed about a firm run within a dictatorship having access to our entire infrastructure, however.

In an unstable world, on the whole, I think the decision was the right one.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 15:47, nnfox said:

It doesn't invalidate Sampson's initial point, which is valid.  It expands on it.  Handing over personal data (voluntarily or involuntarily) to giant corporations is one thing.  Paying them handsomely to give their government the potential to, for example, switch off all traffic lights (at the lower end of what's possible).

There's no problems with using Huawei devices, or Apple or Google or Facebook or Amazon.  People have the freedom to choose and agree to the relevant terms and conditions.

This Huawei 5g thing is a much bigger issue.  It's a bit like driving a car down a road where there is CCTV, ANPR and speed cameras along the route (Google, Apple and Facebook). People can use the road and accept that their movements will be monitored and maybe used for some purpose or other.  They do it day in, day out with no problem.  Then one day, the owner of the road (Huawei)

decides to dig it up and it can't be used by anyone, just because they can.

We have the expertise in our own country to develop and deploy a reliable and safe 5g network.  I guess it comes down to cost and presumably Huawei are pretty cost effective when trying to create a new network on a national scale.

We have the expertise in our own country to develop and deploy a reliable and safe 5g network. 

Silly sentence...In many products we have the expertise,but the governments believe First in Trade & Globalisation...

They can hide behind national security,but if we have our very own British platform,there is no Guaranteed that National Security would be better...

I have Worked Too much,Top often around the world in secure areas, and seen what USA,West European govts, can f* "k up..!!!

Endagering their own peoples,workers and Reputation with the locals...

This World lives a lie in its own political cosmetics..the electorate or populace are too busy sorting their own lives out,and just Happy to tut tut ,

their governments clangers  in their cozy cantinos,pubs,Bars and Now Social media....I

We are the problem...the soft-touch..including on World issues...!!!

On 15/07/2020 at 12:11, Nalis said:

Govt should go further and ban TikTok. Never used it but the amount of data they harvest is insane but most users are of an age that dont seem to care.

There are plenty of alternatives to TikTok out there.

TikTok needs banning purely on the basis it’s irritating as sin. 

• Like 1