Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

It's the model though right, a big sale every summer and re-invest. Look at this window, selling Chilwell has allowed to improve the squad massively. Maddison has a bit to do before bigger sides start looking at him seriously again imo.

Yes, I know that. I just said I think Ricardo will be off or maybe Maddison.

A lot can happen this season. Maddison is quality, and that will show again before next summer.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Yes, I know that. I just said I think Ricardo will be off or maybe Maddison.

A lot can happen this season. Maddison is quality, and that will show again before next summer.

All depends on what the big sides need. Could be any one of Soyuncu, Ricardo, Barnes or Maddison. One thing that makes me think Soyuncu will have a lot of admirers though is the speculation with clubs like Barcelona this summer and the fact there aren't many centre back's around who are as good as him at the moment. He walks into probably every side in the EPL. Someone like Maddison for example doesn't.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

All depends on what the big sides need. Could be any one of Soyuncu, Ricardo, Barnes or Maddison. One thing that makes me think Soyuncu will have a lot of admirers though is the speculation with clubs like Barcelona this summer and the fact there aren't many centre back's around who are as good as him at the moment. He walks into probably every side in the EPL. Someone like Maddison for example doesn't.

True. Could also be Ndidi. I still think Ricardo is most likely to go, as I think he could have been our sale this summer if he hadn't been injured.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

As long as we can stick to only one player leaving I’m ok with that

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

True. Could also be Ndidi. I still think Ricardo is most likely to go, as I think he could have been our sale this summer if he hadn't been injured.

Yeah good shout, forgot about him. Yeah Ricardo is class, thing that may go against him though is most sides above Leicester in the league already have strong right backs. Given his age I think if you pay him well he may be one you could buck the trend with and keep.

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah good shout, forgot about him. Yeah Ricardo is class, thing that may go against him though is most sides above Leicester in the league already have strong right backs. Given his age I think if you pay him well he may be one you could buck the trend with and keep.

I'm not sure, but I think we might be struggling to tie Ricardo down to a new contract. I think we signed Castagne with one eye on replacing him, as well, since his favoured side is on the right.

Also, I think the signing of Under could possibly be partly to encourage Soyuncu to stick around for a while. I hope it works - I know I wouldn't take losing Cags very well!

3 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm not sure, but I think we might be struggling to tie Ricardo down to a new contract. I think we signed Castagne with one eye on replacing him, as well, since his favoured side is on the right.

Also, I think the signing of Under could possibly be partly to encourage Soyuncu to stick around for a while. I hope it works - I know I wouldn't take losing Cags very well!

Aah wasn't aware of that re: Ricardo's contract. If you could tie him down that's the full back positions looking great for a number of years with him and Timmy!

26 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

It's the model though right, a big sale every summer and re-invest. Look at this window, selling Chilwell has allowed to improve the squad massively. Maddison has a bit to do before bigger sides start looking at him seriously again imo.

Unless we get champions league, then we might be able to skip selling for a season

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I don’t think we actually want to sell, but if a player makes it clear they want to take the opportunity, or it’s a silly offer, we’ll take the cash and reinvest.

We don’t need the cash to function really.

• Like 1

The good thing ( if you can say that) with this model of selling one great player a season is that with each season that passes, we actually have more and more players that could go.  Meaning we have a much better side. 

When we won the league, it was Kante, Mahrez and Vardy that were worth the money.  Fast forward 4 years and next summer we could have Ricardo, Soyuncu, Fofana, Maddison, Barnes, Ndidi, Castagne all worth silly money. As long as our recruitment stays solid, we will continue to rise even whilst selling a player off each season. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don’t think we actually want to sell, but if a player makes it clear they want to take the opportunity, or it’s a silly offer, we’ll take the cash and reinvest.

We don’t need the cash to function really.

Neither do a lot of clubs but it's a smart model if done well and Leicester are doing it very well. Look at the clubs across Europe below the elite ones who are successful, they all follow this approach and there is no shame in it, it allows these type of clubs to punch above their weight.

This season may be an exception due to Covid but it looks like you actually needed the cash from the Chilwell sale this summer to fund purchases.

Celtic are the exact same on a smaller scale and it's worked great for us also. I'd actually like us to sell Ajer or Ntcham before this window shuts so we can reinvest and then next summer (at the earliest) it will be Edouard and on we go again.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Neither do a lot of clubs but it's a smart model if done well and Leicester are doing it very well. Look at the clubs across Europe below the elite ones who are successful, they all follow this approach and there is no shame in it, it allows these type of clubs to punch above their weight.

This season may be an exception due to Covid but it looks like you actually needed the cash from the Chilwell sale this summer to fund purchases.

Celtic are the exact same on a smaller scale and it's worked great for us also. I'd actually like us to sell Ajer or Ntcham before this window shuts so we can reinvest and then next summer (at the earliest) it will be Edouard and on we go again.

Not saying there is anything wrong with it, I’m fine with it so long as it’s invested back. 

Just saying we don’t have to do it. The club can turn offers down for players. See Mahrez and DD previously.

A big factor is whether we considered them critical. Maguire and Chilwell frankly I never did.

If Spurs for instance wanted Ndidi for £50m, unless he kicked off I think we’d say no.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not saying there is anything wrong with it, I’m fine with it so long as it’s invested back. 

Just saying we don’t have to do it. The club can turn offers down for players. See Mahrez and DD previously.

A big factor is whether we considered them critical. Maguire and Chilwell frankly I never did.

If Spurs for instance wanted Ndidi for £50m, unless he kicked off I think we’d say no.

Yeah I'm not saying that any bid for a big player you accept but there comes a time in the EPL particularly when it's daft not to accept the kind of offers you've had for Chilwell and Maguire, particularly when you've been able to replace both with better players with less than 50% of what you brought in. Maddison for example, a daft £60m+ offer for him and he could be replaced effectively by someone on the continent.

The bones of my point is had you not sold Maguire and Chilwell in the last two windows you'd probably be weaker on the whole. It makes sense to sell a player most summers for big money and reinvest.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Would our top players really leave Leicester to go to Spurs?  Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal (maybe) but I'm not so sure on Spurs.

7 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

Would our top players really leave Leicester to go to Spurs?  Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal (maybe) but I'm not so sure on Spurs.

Which is exactly why I said them. Any of the others and he’s likely to kick up a fuss forcing our hand, Spurs he probably wouldn’t. 

The point was, the club doesn’t HAVE to sell.

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Not being a prophet of doom but Soyuncu could be next summer's big sale.

I could live with that. Would never want Soyuncu to leave of course but we could easily sell him for 60m+ and by that time tarkowski would be available for about 25m ... 

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Possibly, but he did say he wants to stay for a few years. I think Ricardo is most likely. Possibly Maddison.

Anyway, I don't like thinking about losing these players, and there's a whole season before then while I can pretend it's not going to happen.

Yeah his best friend has just signed so he hopefully will stay on at least two years ...  hopefully 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think he’d go for 50 because we have enough defensive midfielders especially 50 million in these times 

Edited by Ely fox

3 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Unless we get champions league, then we might be able to skip selling for a season

I think this definitely is the plan. Unless any players actively ask to leave, if we are in the champs league i think we keep everyone. One reason we sell 1 player a year is to get money to sign quality players to add to the squad. sell 1 buy 2 or 3 kind of thing. Champs league money could be enough to prevent us having to sell anyone if we did manage to get there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I hope we never sell to Spurs. Unless they want Ghezzal, Slimani or Silva.

• Haha 2

I’d love us to buy him next season. I think  we will need him then and he will be 28 years of age at the top of his game. It’s a shame we can’t buy him now (he must be gutted that he can’t move to us right now) but if he did come now I can’t see him happy with being on the bench or starting cup games.