Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
thesilverbluefox

Same old dross every transfer window

22 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

If we do not get in at least one player (preferably two players) who could/would be a regular starter, it would be sorely disappointing.

BTW, reality is that if we aspire (or are ever going) to seriously challenge for European places every season, we are going to end up having to pay higher wages - either to retain or attract talent. We cannot avoid that.

One or two players who could/would be regular starters, as you put it, doesn't necessarily mean players that will cost a fortune. The original post said "when we going to sign a big name that matches the potential?". My point is, why does it have to be a big name? There are many players out there that wouldnt necessarily cost a fortune and would improve our squad/starting 11. Some of our fans would rather we sign 1 top player for £60m+ rather than build the squad and sign 3 or 4 players for between £20-30m. It's all well and good saying "we are going to end up paying higher wages" but our highest earner which is Vardy I believe is on around £140k. Unless we are have champions league money, we cant just be chucking wages around to players above that figure as we just cant afford it. Again, many of our fans forget about FFP and also forget that our owners have always said they want the club to be self sufficient so wont just be throwing in £100's of millions to sign players and pay wages. The way our owners have grown our club is fantastic. The new training ground, potential stadium expansion, built a good squad that has won the league and finished 5th last season, yet many of our fans still aren't happy. We cannot compete financially with the "big clubs" because they are protected by FFP. Our owners know this so have built a model that has seen us scout well, develop players, sell players for ridiculously high fees and then reinvest the money to keep building the squad. Of course, I'll be massively disappointed of we dont sign 2 or 3 players this window but the transfer market is tough right now and we wont ripped off and be paying £40m for the likes of Tarkowski when hes no better than Evans or Soyuncu. We need quality, we need quantity but what we dont need is panic buying  and ending up with players like Silva and Slimani who we cant get rid of and are a massive drain on our wage bill. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dannythefox said:

23 days till the season starts and we’ve not got anyone, understand it’s difficult but it’s always the same with us. We need to be better. I say we need 4 players I just can’t see us getting that many with the window we have I feel like again it might be a missed opportunity.

I dont understand some of our fans viewpoint that "it's a missed opportunity" and "we need to be better". The club keeps transfer activity very quiet so we never know what's going on. For all we know, we could have enquired about 10-20 players but been put off by ridiculous fees. Tarkowski being an example, we may or may not have enquired but if Burnley genuinely wanted £40m, theres no chance we would pay that for a cb that's no better than Evans or Soyuncu. Then there is Trincao. We may or may not have bid. One thing I know for certain is that Rudkin, Congerton etc will be working round the clock to try and negotiate deals. We need new signings yes. What we dont need is to be ripped off when our transfer budget is probably not amazing. We also dont want to panic buy and end up with players who dont fit and end up being a wage drain like Slimani and Silva. Patience is required. I guarantee that Rudkin etc are not sat on a beach tossing themselves off and are actually working hard to negotiate deals for the club.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stu said:

:whistle:

Yeh but look at the signings. Apart from Man City and Chelsea, who have way more money than the likes of us, there is no stand out signings at all. How many players on that list will go straight into starting 11's and make a difference? Hardly any. Willian is a decent signing for Arsenal as well.

Edited by jayfox26

3 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

One or two players who could/would be regular starters, as you put it, doesn't necessarily mean players that will cost a fortune. The original post said "when we going to sign a big name that matches the potential?". My point is, why does it have to be a big name? There are many players out there that wouldnt necessarily cost a fortune and would improve our squad/starting 11. Some of our fans would rather we sign 1 top player for £60m+ rather than build the squad and sign 3 or 4 players for between £20-30m. It's all well and good saying "we are going to end up paying higher wages" but our highest earner which is Vardy I believe is on around £140k. Unless we are have champions league money, we cant just be chucking wages around to players above that figure as we just cant afford it. Again, many of our fans forget about FFP and also forget that our owners have always said they want the club to be self sufficient so wont just be throwing in £100's of millions to sign players and pay wages. The way our owners have grown our club is fantastic. The new training ground, potential stadium expansion, built a good squad that has won the league and finished 5th last season, yet many of our fans still aren't happy. We cannot compete financially with the "big clubs" because they are protected by FFP. Our owners know this so have built a model that has seen us scout well, develop players, sell players for ridiculously high fees and then reinvest the money to keep building the squad. Of course, I'll be massively disappointed of we dont sign 2 or 3 players this window but the transfer market is tough right now and we wont ripped off and be paying £40m for the likes of Tarkowski when hes no better than Evans or Soyuncu. We need quality, we need quantity but what we dont need is panic buying  and ending up with players like Silva and Slimani who we cant get rid of and are a massive drain on our wage bill. 

Obviously we need to spend sensibly. However, it would seem more than a big odd to invest 100 million in a world-class training facility and pay the coach a reported 8 million quid (or thereabouts) yearly but then elect not make commensurate investment in the playing staff itself.

That wages would continue to rise is a reality of being in the EPL and of modern-day football generally. Vardy is nearer the end of his career and this is likely to be his biggest payday, a just reward IMHO for a truly legendary City career. But the reality is that if the likes of Soyuncu, Ricardo, Maddison, Ndidi, Tielemans, Barnes, and Chilwell (if he doesn’t leave in the present window) manage to continue along their expected developmental curve, we would either have to pay them wages near or in the Vardy neighborhood or effectively become another Southampton and sell them off, in which case the training facility and the highly-paid coaches would seem a superfluous investment.

Ultimately, the decision that our ownership has to make is a substantively existential one - whether to consistently challenge for the higher rungs of the league log and European football or simply become another Southampton or Burnley type of EPL club, content to be in the league (and perhaps even tolerate the occasional relegation) while vacillating between relegation and mid-table each season, with the occasional European place (but with no real ambition in Europe apart from collecting some extra dosh). The considerable investment of the ownership (including the planned KP expansion) would indicate that their ambitions lie closer to the former than the latter.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Obviously cannot speak for others, but I suspect that most of our fans are quite happy.

However, having known happiness, they would rather retain that feeling. Little worse in life than an ex-happy person. lol

4 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Yeh but look at the signings. Apart from Man City and Chelsea, who have way more money than the likes of us, there is no stand out signings at all. How many players on that list will go straight into starting 11's and make a difference? Hardly any. Willian is a decent signing for Arsenal as well.

I completely agree, I was just winding up those panicking...

• Like 1

Realistically, how many "BIG" transfers have worked out over the last couple of years for anyone?

Kevin De Bruyne and VVD are the only ones I can think of. Even Salah wasn't exactly a big signing by today's standards.

For me - leave the silly money spending to the oil barons who see the club as little more than a toy.

On 22/08/2020 at 09:41, fox_up_north said:

Realistically, how many "BIG" transfers have worked out over the last couple of years for anyone?

Kevin De Bruyne and VVD are the only ones I can think of. Even Salah wasn't exactly a big signing by today's standards.

For me - leave the silly money spending to the oil barons who see the club as little more than a toy.

What so keep the same squad that won 4 games since Christmas minus Chilwell with a load of extra games and expect to progress as a club? We need some signings else we are in danger of a relegation battle next season.

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 2

Just now, Foxin_Mad said:

What so keep the same squad that one 4 games since Christmas minus Chilwell with a load of extra games and expect to progress as a club? We need some signings else we are in danger of a relegation battle next season.

I don't think he is suggesting keeping the same squad - and I'm sure everyone would agree we need new players in.

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't think he is suggesting keeping the same squad - and I'm sure everyone would agree we need new players in.

We need to get a move on. It's quite bad to sign players late in the window, little time to integrate into the squad and hit the ground running.

I just get a feeling we will do no business except Chilwell out.

7 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We need to get a move on. It's quite bad to sign players late in the window, little time to integrate into the squad and hit the ground running.

I just get a feeling we will do no business except Chilwell out.

I think that's highly unlikely, but we will see.

23 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think that's highly unlikely, but we will see.

I really hope so we need at least a couple of quality additions.

I am concerned Vardy is aging, I am still not 100% on Nacho as a replacement, I dont think Rodgers is either. I was also concerned about Evan's towards the end of the season and feel we have long needed more creativity from the middle, either wide or central.

If we stand still the likes of Brighton, Villa etc will overtake us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I really hope so we need at least a couple of quality additions.

I am concerned Vardy is aging, I am still not 100% on Nacho as a replacement, I dont think Rodgers is either. I was also concerned about Evan's towards the end of the season and feel we have long needed more creativity from the middle, either wide or central.

If we stand still the likes of Brighton, Villa etc will overtake us.

I cannot imagine anyone wishes to stand still. And yes, the inevitable decline (be it now, this season or later) of Vardy worries me more than just about anything else.

1 minute ago, Rigga said:

Still need CB LB CM 2 wingers and a ST

First friendly in a couple of days 🙈

You haven't got a prayer of getting two wingers, we've already got four and none of them look likely to leave. Likewise a striker only seems a possibility if Iheanacho goes.

I'd expect movement on a left-back and centre-back first, we'll probably start the season without a winger then make that signing and possibly an attacking midfielder late in the window.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

You haven't got a prayer of getting two wingers, we've already got four and none of them look likely to leave. Likewise a striker only seems a possibility if Iheanacho goes.

I'd expect movement on a left-back and centre-back first, we'll probably start the season without a winger then make that signing and possibly an attacking midfielder late in the window.

Perez isn’t a winger..

MA isn’t good enough nowadays..we need more than graft..

Gray is no better than the day we signed him.. Get what we can for him...

Harvey we can work with..

We still need two wingers...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Perez isn’t a winger..

MA isn’t good enough nowadays..we need more than graft..

Gray is no better than the day we signed him.. Get what we can for him...

Harvey we can work with..

We still need two wingers...

Whether you rate the wingers we've got there is no chance that we will move two on, in fact I think all of them will stay.

There's only so many players you can have.

6 minutes ago, Rigga said:

If we have the 4 wingers mentioned still for the season...we are in the shite...

And if we are not looking to move a couple on, then we can not see what is obvious.. Gray and MA simply are not good enough..

You seem to be missing the point about building a squad. No one as good as Albrighton is going to be willing to be 4th/5th choice for us. Gray is a good sub. Pérez is a utility forward. So you can probably get away with signing one starting wide player on the opposite side to Barnes.

You can't sign one player and then try to convince another to come when they know they're likely to sit on our bench for most of the season. If the club received an offer for Gray (unlikely K would think) then they might have room for another, but given tight finances there are far more pressing needs than a second winger.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

That would be horrible