Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
thesilverbluefox

Same old dross every transfer window

2 hours ago, thesilverbluefox said:

What do the Foxes faithful think of transfer windows? Me personally find it frustrating year after year, reports that never turn into anything, rumours on signing players we can't afford, reports of signing mediocre players? 

We have been shrewed over the years in the market but would love one of these big stories to come true. Got unbelievable owners and i think the right manager but when we going to sign a big name that matches the potential??

What done us last year was strength in depth because we never had any? Losing Ricky and Madds with nobody with similar ability to step up to the plate. Not sure whats going on with Chilwell and getting boring reading.

Glad to see so called big teams cant hold us to ransom anymore either pay up or shut up eh!

Cheers 

Your first mistake is reading all the rumours and believing them. In the world of social media, spreading rumours is a lot easier. Most can be taken, as a not so wise man keeps saying, as 'fake news'. Take everything you read with a pinch of salt. People start rumours to sell papers, some start for attention seeking 'in the knows'. Some may be genuine but a deal is difficult or there just an option. Some might even be agent lead to gain attention/new contract for their client. 

Yes, I am too glad that we're not being bullied by other teams.

My advice....don't worry about it. Don't believe what you read any where until it's happened. Then take stock and see where we are. 

This one is particularly frustrating. The OP will get shit but we probably need signings in as much as anybody this window with the team on a blatant slump and going into what is likely to be as challenging a schedule as I can remember us having. I'd have expected a bit more by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

I think there also needs to be a degree of level headedness about what constitutes a good window.

Everton and West Ham 'win the transfer window' every summer. They pay big money for supposedly big names from big clubs and they end up doing just as shite as the ones they replaced.

Nobody looked at our 2018 window and thought we'd pulled up many trees. In fact most on here were pretty fuming we'd chucked £30m at two CBs on deadline day when the only winger we'd signed was Ghezzal, so we were underwhelmed. As it turned out we signed four players that would now command probably £200m in transfer fees for less than £70m.

The window is about plugging gaps in the squad and the preferred system, not about signing dream names. There are dozens of reasons why X player may not be a good fit but Y player is - can they speak the language, do they want to keep their kids in their home country, all sorts of things. Footballers are just the same as any of us old folks, things have to be absolutely perfect for you to want to give up your current settled life and move elsewhere.

You only have to look at the fact Rudkin showed up to meet Evans with a folder full of scout reports and info on him to know that this club does unbelievable due diligence and work on its signings - one thing that remains from Walsh is that there is lots of focus on the character just as much as the technical quality.

The window is also a game of agents, journalists, chairmen etc, all of which will lie through their teeth to suit their own agendas. You have to pick your way through a minefield.

As I said in another thread, anyone who thinks Rodgers signed in December on the basis that his supposed £50m-odd contract would hit his own transfer funds is sorely misguided - he did not leave his boyhood club to screw up his last big chance at returning to the big time.

We're nearly 4 weeks into a ten week window, but you have to consider most teams are only just back in pre-season and the European season is still not finished - we're essentially only just at the start of July in that sense. Granted there is extra pressure because the season starts in only 3 weeks, but it takes a while for the window to hot up, and it will do soon enough.

Enjoy laughing at those clubs who have to sift through endless bollocks rumours. When we have something in the pipeline we'll likely only know when it's virtually done. Patience required in the meantime.

Problem is while we may not be prescient about constitutes a "good window" we are likely to recognize a bad one. We saw one last window and called it here, and ultimately it arguably cost us a Champions' League place.

Are we seeing the same inertia again? 

5 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Big name players cost a lot of money, something we dont have a lot of thanks to FFP. If we made champs league then it could have been a different story as we would be able to attract a higher calibre of player and would also have more money to use. Also, signing 1 big star wouldn't help us fill the gaps in our squad. We have some very good players in our starting 11 but beyond that we are quite poor. Whilst we want to be signing quality, we also need quantity to improve the squad, so getting the balance right with that will be tough. If we sell Chilwell for £60m that should give us around £90-100m for new signings. But rather than getting 1 player that will cost £60m plus, we will need 3-4 £25m players or 1 at around £40m (a good attacker) and another 2 or 3 around the £20-25m mark. Also top players want top wages and we dont want to go upsetting our squad and putting new signings on higher wages than our current top players. 

If we do not get in at least one player (preferably two players) who could/would be a regular starter, it would be sorely disappointing.

BTW, reality is that if we aspire (or are ever going) to seriously challenge for European places every season, we are going to end up having to pay higher wages - either to retain or attract talent. We cannot avoid that.

6 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Maybe they haven’t kept anything under wraps and there just isn’t any movement yet

That's a possibility but I really don't want to believe it so I'm going to stick to my thing, ok? 

7 hours ago, thesilverbluefox said:

What do the Foxes faithful think of transfer windows? Me personally find it frustrating year after year, reports that never turn into anything, rumours on signing players we can't afford, reports of signing mediocre players? 

We have been shrewed over the years in the market but would love one of these big stories to come true. Got unbelievable owners and i think the right manager but when we going to sign a big name that matches the potential??

What done us last year was strength in depth because we never had any? Losing Ricky and Madds with nobody with similar ability to step up to the plate. Not sure whats going on with Chilwell and getting boring reading.

Glad to see so called big teams cant hold us to ransom anymore either pay up or shut up eh!

Cheers 

As my profile says:-

10 Tenuous rumour

20 Joyous exuberance

30 Seeming inaction

40 Utter despair

50 Bitter resentment

60 Bored resignation

goto 10

• Like 1

Every single transfer window there will be a tedious link to some player and there will be rumours out there that state we have "interest" and every single transfer window there will be fans who believe that these links and rumoured interest will be cast in stone truths.

Over the years the world has become a smaller place, we no longer just rely on paper talk. There are literally hundreds of thousands of websites out there ranging from actual news outlets to some small time blogger. Once someone, whoever that person may be, states that we are rumoured to have an interest that can spread like wildfire. 

This just isn't our club either. Things like this aren't helped by the major players in news either. Sky sports news coverage of transfer deadline day and the hype surrounding it is testament to this.

Then, once the rumour gathers any sort of traction, it can reach fans forums such as this. Once the topic is raised the general evolution of the discussion follows the same pattern

1) create the topic, post the rumour

2) the 1st reply is usually to say how good this player is

3) there will be a comment along the lines of either just a simple "gerrimin" or a more complex "never heard of him,  good name, gerrimin"

4) someone will say they've watched a lot of German/French/Spanish/Swiss/Brazilian/Belarusian football and have a good insight in to the player.

5) someone will quote how good this player is on fifa/football manager

And finally 6) the topic will go off discussion to talk about finances, another player or just something completely unrelated.

While this happens, and I'm guilty if this too, fans will come on here and trawl through pages to actually find that no news is there to be found, and thus, the transfer window becomes tedious and boring.

Anyone remember that website, was it something like footballrumours.com or something, where absolutely anyone could post anything, literally anything, they wanted?? Didn't it happen that someone on here posted some ridiculous rumour and it ended up making a newspaper somewhere?? It might not have been from here, but I remember something like that happening.

The truth is well over half the rumours we see, hear or read, have no substance to them at all. And most of the ones that have the tiniest spec of substance to them will turn out to be nothing.

The transfer window ends up like this every single time because as fans we all have our own ideas and expectations. The truth is only a select few know the actual truth. As fans we have no patience, and over the years, our patience has worn paper thin. Its the same old dross every transfer window because we make that way by constantly believing abolutely everything and taking it as gospel truth. The transfer window creates 2 types of people. The stupidly optimistic and the ridiculously pessimistic. Not very many of us remain in the middle and just wait to see how it plays out.

• Like 2

Mate of mine did some work at Tony Pulis house and asked him about pre season transfers He told him he gives his chairman 7 to 8 names he wants and they start approaching players and clubs to try and get a deal.He said you will only get 2 out of 8 maybe 3 so it drags on and on trying to get players to sign with agents dragging there heels.

2 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

I think we will see a lot of movement late on in the tranfer window.

Given that the window shuts almost a month after the season starts, and given that several of our players are courted by bigger clubs, I would suggest the stress of this window hasn’t even begun yet!   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Simoken said:

Going to take; winning trophys / staying in the top 6 / a solid foundation financially / attract commercial success , now lets do that for the next 10 years then well attract top players.. btw not talking at you danny but, those who are fed up of shrewd transfers and not getting the the exciting transfer.. take a sip of realisation please, weve only just begun. K thanks

Love a bit of The Carpenters .

8 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

We've always struggled to attract players to the Leicester area to be fair.

It's also pretty clear that we are a "sell-to-buy" club.  I wouldn't expect any movement until Chilwell is on his way out the door.

Frustrating as I would have liked Top to get his credit card out and really look to make a statement this summer to try and freshen things up and get us all thinking positively after such a catastrophic 2020 thus far but it would appear that's not going to be the case.

I also wonder if Top is reluctant to give Rodgers any sort of war chest as he may need to pay him off in a few months....:ph34r:

If this is true, this is why Top is reluctant to get his credit card out. Even allowing for 100m ish TV money,  we'd still be well short. Why should Top continually put his hand in his pocket? He intends to make the club self sufficient, presumably by buying and selling which, unless you're Manchester United or City, perhaps is the only logical way forward. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-third-key-wage-4033400

9 hours ago, thesilverbluefox said:

Cheers 

It gives the fans something to moan about during the off season. 

3 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Problem is while we may not be prescient about constitutes a "good window" we are likely to recognize a bad one. We saw one last window and called it here, and ultimately it arguably cost us a Champions' League place.

Are we seeing the same inertia again? 

You can't buy what you can't afford and you can't buy someone who doesn't want to come or someone who's club doesn't want to sell. We're still not that attractive a prospect for a foreign player of a certain standing despite what our supporters think. At least the new space age training facilities will be easier on the eye than a walk through our shit hole of a city 😅

It perhaps also wouldn't help matters that to an agent or player, our last half of the season performance make us, from an outside perspective looking in, like a team with a manager taking us more towards the relegation zone than to the Champions League. As a team that's known to get through its fair share of managers, any agent will be looking at Rodgers and be thinking that if he doesn't have a half decent start to the season, he's history, which is potentially unsettling for the longish term ambitions of a young player.

It is early days in the window.  I fail to see how we are totally cash strapped if we can give contract extensions to players well into their 30's?

I personally think we will be pleasantly surprised.   If we have to sell to re-invest, so be it.  We are living in unprecedented times. 

Just as important is shifting out the deadwood to place us on a better financial footing.

It's been like this for years with our signings tending to be out of the blue.

The big difference now is there are so many more would be sports journalist trying to forge a career and outlets for them to try.

Even though I post links I don't take them seriously and any posted in here I generally ignore because history tells us 99% of them are complete bollocks and click bait.

• Like 1

I think we are in a sell to buy situation at the minute and the biggest problem is that absolutely nobody wants what we are selling. 

No point dwelling on the transfer window, just hope that we get a few pleasant surprises before the season starts and be glad we aren’t linked with Andros Townsend for once...

We need to get this window right after failing to strengthen in January. Getting it right for me would be adding quality and character. Essential the quality comes in the form of a wide man to be first choice. We need character centrally to grab the team by the scruff of the neck. 

We dont need journeyman who Brendan thinks he can turn around. Dodged a bullet by missing Lallana in my opinion. 

In summary I would rather spend 70m on two starters and get them in before West Brom and that is it, rather than panicking with 3 or 4 late in the window. 

I am not interested in rumors - it's most agent trying to put pressure on other clubs to act.  I am interest in our club making improving  its squad.  No one can think our form since January was acceptable.  I don't expect BR to rubbish player in the media - so we must set aside what he says yet look at what he does.  AT arsenal Arteta has struggled with the  squad he inherited - and now he is bring in the players that he believes he needs... will arsenal be above us next year - will they be a better team as a rust of these changes?  I am frustrated that we are not seeing BR making similar progress.

It should also noted that this season due to Coronavirus, the window doesn't close until the 5th October (!). Even though the season will already have started by then, I'd expect the usual drama and chaos from all 20 Premier league clubs during that last week. So plenty of time yet to make signings.

Guest An Sionnach

Ahh the transfer window about 10% success and 90% failure , the vast majority of candidates are surplus to requirements , why is that?