Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Papy Mendy New Deal until 2022

1 hour ago, Bert said:

I’m sure that’s the case, but when we sell Maguire for £80m & Chilwell for £50m clubs know we aren’t short of money. 

Indeed, but they'll use the external context where they can.

My view on the selling of chilwell is that they're doing it because rodgers wants about 6 new players and needs to fund it somehow.

Pointless signing really. Waste of the wages. Well below even hamza and Praet for me.

He should never start a game, should just be cover for Ndidi or to just pass and waste time if were leading. Should never be on the game if we are needing to score, he doesn't move with the ball doesn't create and doesn't do anything.

5 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Pointless signing really. Waste of the wages. Well below even hamza and Praet for me.

He should never start a game, should just be cover for Ndidi or to just pass and waste time if were leading. Should never be on the game if we are needing to score, he doesn't move with the ball doesn't create and doesn't do anything.

You aren't the manager, and judging the way things were going I suggest he's seen as second choice DM ahead of Hamza who frankly can't be trusted. 

He's not there to start games, he's there for cover. If you don't sign him, then you need to go and sign someone else. Which means money spent on a backup player that could be put to actually strengthening our team in areas it's actually needed. 

In the current financial climate, it makes sense to hold on to your assets than let them walk for free, when you've got to spend to replace them. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You aren't the manager, and judging the way things were going I suggest he's seen as second choice DM ahead of Hamza who frankly can't be trusted. 

He's not there to start games, he's there for cover. If you don't sign him, then you need to go and sign someone else. Which means money spent on a backup player that could be put to actually strengthening our team in areas it's actually needed. 

I agree its not a big deal, but he really is so poor. Anytime hes on the pitch we are hopeless and offer nothing going forward.

Right now Mendy is the next best option to ndidi.. . His positional awareness always seems great and always seems like a great anchor at the base of a midfield.

Hamza is not a DM.. just because he is on his arse a lot and likes a tackle doesnt mean he is DM.. it is a lot about positional awareness and being in the right area at the right time.

Edited by les-tah
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

He won't start many games and he'll primarily be used as cover. If we didn't re-sign him we'd have to sign someone else, we don't have the funds nor the time for that at the minute.

13 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I agree its not a big deal, but he really is so poor. Anytime hes on the pitch we are hopeless and offer nothing going forward.

Okay, but thats not his job? Mendy is there for us to be able to bring on to see out games when we've got a slender lead, and shore us up defensively. You know, because he's a defensive midfielder. Attacking play isn't his forté (although the stats suggest he's actually better at that than Ndidi and Choudhury...) and he's more than good enough for cover. 

If he was a starter for us and we were pushing top 4/6 I'd agree he's not necessarily good enough, but thats not the case. I'd much rather we keep him part of the club and use the £15m+ it'd cost to get a better backup on a position which needs it more.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

He’s not there to offer a forward threat, that’s the responsibility of those around his. Anything going forward from Ndidi or him is a bonus.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Its not about expecting him to create and score bundles of goals, but I expect a bit of movement and a bit of ability to do something other than passing sideways and backwards. Ive never seen him do a single thing impressive ever. Hes not ever a close enough to an adequate replacement for Ndidi.

22 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Please stop peddling this myth, because it's just not true.

Key Passes (per 90 mins) 2019/20

Mendy  0.94

Ndidi    0.30

Hamza  0.30

Passes into opposition's final third (per 90 mins) 2019/20

Mendy  6.88

Ndidi    4.65

Hamza   3.03

Passes into opposition's penalty area (per 90 mins) 2019/20

Mendy  0.31

Hamza  0.20

Ndidi   0.13

Progressive Passes advancing the ball more than 10 yards towards opposition goal (per 90 mins) 2019/20

Mendy  3.44

Ndidi  2.49

Hamza  2.02

Does that help enlighten things for you?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xen said:

Does that help enlighten things for you?

No because the reason is that Ndidi is really good at what he does so lets the better attacking players do their thing. Mendy isn't good enough to play anywhere. Hes not good enough at attacking and he isn't good enough at defending.

Ndidi is a master at one thing so its fine, he does his role. Mendy couldn't replace Ndidi because he cant win tackles, cant win headers and cant run with the ball. I get scared anytime hes on the ball that hes going to lose it.

I'm not sure what people are expecting. Do you think we can just sign someone better than Mendy, who's content to be a bit part player, on the same wages, for a transfer fee lower than Mendys signing on fee? 

Also we know what we're getting with Mendy, we know he's not disruptive, we know he's settled in, he obviously does what's required in training. Seems like a no brainer to me. 

Edited by Webbo

2 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I'd argue this is because most of the time when he plays its alongside N'Didi when he's covered for N'Didi and partnered someone else he's done an alright job.

I still dread the thought of Rodgers pairing them together for games next season, its nailed on to happen a minimum of 3 times.

• Like 1

He does the simple stuff very well and a lot of the parts of the game many prefer not to. He just sweeps up and keeps things ticking over, almost like a modern day robbie savage. The issue with a player like this is when we need a goal and the fans are looking for urgency, its just not going to happen. 

When we are defending a lead or the attacking players are doing their jobs well, he is a good player to have. For me though, I dont think our game suits him that well.  

Perhaps though, if we actually did create a solid front 4, we would get an advantage from sitting him next to ndidi against the bigger clubs.  At this point in time, we dont have enough bite to get us us through with 2 defensive minded midfielders on the pitch. 

Either way, as cover for Wilf im happy enough. Id stil have him behind Hamza though, but thats just me.