Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Papy Mendy New Deal until 2022

49 minutes ago, adam said:

3 years. I bet Mendy can't believe his luck being offered that. Decent back up but that's about it. Never gonna be good enough for anything else. 

It just means we keep him around this season when we have more games.

Then sell next summer as opposed to losing on a free this summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Ok that’s a little bit weird unless he’s on peanuts.

COVID has destroyed the market. Mendy was set to leave at the beginning of the year, but then the pandemic blew up. His most likely landing spot will be a mid-level French team or a better team in a non-top 5 league. None of those teams have any money right now, and maybe not a year from now. Staying here, he will make more money, and probably get more minutes than last year (with Europa League). Making it three years means we can loan him out next year to a potential buyer and still recoup some money when we sell.

But, yeah, my guess he is on relative peanuts -- he was originally signed as Kante's replacement; his new contract is as a backup to Ndidi -- but it probably ain't starting for Nantes peanuts.

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

Can we all just stop and look at some of the utter shit in the top 8 that is backup midfield players.

At Spurs they've got Skipp and Gedson Fernandes, United have got Fred and McTominay, Arsenal have got Willock and Torreira, Wolves have got Gibbs-White.

Unless you are Manchester City and have endless money to throw at £30m+ cover players (Cancelo an obvious example), your starting XI is always going to be significantly better than your reserves.

Mendy is a steady player and is cheap. His job isn't to take Wilf's place because there's not a player as good as Wilf out there that would come here.

Besides Fernandes who I’ve barely watched play at all those are all decent players. Definitely not shit 

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Bang average. Brendan must see something I don’t 

He's not a starter though is he, he's gap filler. He's a solid player, and we need solid professionals who know their role won't be starting every week. I said in another thread a while back, if you look at successful clubs, especially the Fergie era at Manchester United, that was built on not just getting the best first 11 he could, but also fleshing out the squad with dependable players to fill in. O'Shea, Brown, Butt, Park, Phil Neville, Solskjaer, Blomquist, Fortune and many more were able deputies who weren't a patch on the regular starters, but knew their role and put in solid performances when called on.

I get it, I do. No fee, already here, happy to play 2nd/3rd fiddle etc. 

But we Matty James doing the same thing, in the same position. Probably Amartey also. Both behind Hamza and Ndidi for 1 position. I don’t see either of them leaving.

Throw in there Knight and KDH and maybe this extension doesn’t make complete sense to me.

44 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Thanks for your valued input, it was very insightful!

I'd genuinely prefer our youth prospects get the chance over Mendy who has been consistently poor. What's the problem with that?

If they were good enough they’d get a chance

You also said you’d prefer Andy king over him, a bloke who couldn’t get a game at rangers and struggled at Huddersfield. 

7 minutes ago, Poiseuille said:

But we Matty James doing the same thing, in the same position. Probably Amartey also. Both behind Hamza and Ndidi for 1 position. I don’t see either of them leaving.

Throw in there Knight and KDH and maybe this extension doesn’t make complete sense to me.

James can't stay fit for longer than 5 minutes. He's staying to fill the home grown europa quota, or maybe he'll get a loan to build match fitness of he can actually stay fit long enough to play. Amartey is defensive cover these days, but again its coming up to two years since the injury and he's hardly played. He might leave or get loaned out. I imagine KDH will be used more as a sub or start games where the pressure is off, or the midfield is deemed weaker, whereas Mendy will more likely start when others are out when the midfield is deemed to be a little more experienced than the ones KDH might play against, or come as a sub in a similar situation.

16 minutes ago, Poiseuille said:

So we shouldn't extension someone who is useful, because we have two players who aren't useful?

• Like 2

I'm not sure what some people are expecting of him. He played most of his games under Puel when he wasn't considerably more shite than anyone else playing at the time and last season in his brief appearances he certainly did not do himself a disservice. In pecking order I see him level with Choudhury, perhaps ahead as I think Rodgers trusts him more, and right there with Praet. I still don't think we've seen the best of him and he should be in his prime now. Let's see how he does with another season under Rodgers.

Edited by Wizerud

Cheerfull bunch we have on here...always ready to Open the book on the negative pages....

I will judge Mendy,when he finishes his his bout with my club. When he puts on the blueshirt with the foxes badge, I will support and encourage him

With no pre-judgement...I cant think of many errors ( none that were worth noting..!!) Hes solid when selected,

IMO Not boring, also not necessary until now not a driver,but steady.....

We will have more games this coming season,we cant afford to throw our money around,there arent too many  better potential outsiders,

who will drop the Pots n pans to come rushing to Leicester. 

Another Major point...he aint a Maddison nor a Ndidi, but he aint that bad,and in fact hes quite a good talented player...

These Type of forums have a problem, they prefer to be cynical and demean players at the first opportunity so eager to Drop the first

witty low level pundits style remarks...They have forgot how to have a decent idea or forethought even debate on those "other" players

that are needed for the Chorus-line but also can be trusted to step in, and will give you the  solid performances,

with an occasional MOM potential, without messing up either the fluidity or tact of the team....Giving performances that motivates competition ,with potential of a longer run of games when others Fall Short of form....I

we are still the poorer brother from the Top 7-8 teams......

Covid issue will not improve any Financial investment potential...!!!

Edited by fuchsntf

Happy with this. We aren't going to find someone better than Papy who is willing to warm the bench and if we were to splurge to get a better player than Ndidi, I really don't think Wilf would be happy playing second fiddle.

All in all, sensible business.