Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Papy Mendy New Deal until 2022

Just now, Gamble92 said:

For a player to come in and be able to do the same that Mendy does you'd be looking at 25m easily, if not more. 2 year deal, reliable, does the job. What on earth are people moaning at?

This is the crucial bit.

It's also extremely hard to recruit a player when you're behind arguably the best defensive midfielder in the division.

Fairly low wages, reliable player, a useful Hammond-type to bring off the bench to see out games, saves a big whack in transfer fee to spend in more important areas.

Good deal.

• Like 1

Mendy made 4 league starts, 3 sub appearances and 1 start in the FA Cup for us last season. Add in the Europa League and it's not hard to see Mendy getting between 10-20 games as a starter / sub throughout the season. Better to have someone do that for us for free rather than spend 15-20m for someone to do the same thing. By the time his contract is up, hopefully another youth team player is in the match day squad and / or Hamza is a regular starter. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

For a player to come in and be able to do the same that Mendy does you'd be looking at 25m easily, if not more. 2 year deal, reliable, does the job. What on earth are people moaning at?

Pretty sure you can find a player to knock the ball backwards and sideways all game for less than £25m.

Of course I'd rather give him a new contract than spend money though.

Edited by Fox92

14 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Wtf? You'd be able to get much better than him for way less than £25mil. Praet is much better than him and came in for £18mil last season.

Matty James isn't any worse than him either (although is even more injury prone).

He's our 6th choice central midfielder after Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi, Praet and Choudhury.

You'd be better to give one of the youth or development players that role.

No doubt he's on decent wages as well given he was our record signing at the time.

He's been one of the biggest wastes of money in the club's history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

Wtf? You'd be able to get much better than him for way less than £25mil. Praet is much better than him and came in for £18mil last season.

Matty James isn't any worse than him either (although is even more injury prone).

He's our 6th choice central midfielder after Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi, Praet and Choudhury.

You'd be better to give one of the youth or development players that role.

No doubt he's on decent wages as well given he was our record signing at the time.

He's been one of the biggest wastes of money in the club's history.

Mendy is no where near as bad as you're making out. He's a solid premier league player and someone we need. Saying he's one of the biggest wastes of money in the club history is also just plain wrong, no where near on the same scale as a silva or even a matt mills when compared to the income of the club at the time. 

He's here for another two years and I wish him all the best and if he can stay injury free expect him to play a role in what will be a very congested season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

Mendy is no where near as bad as you're making out. He's a solid premier league player and someone we need. Saying he's one of the biggest wastes of money in the club history is also just plain wrong, no where near on the same scale as a silva or even a matt mills when compared to the income of the club at the time. 

He's here for another two years and I wish him all the best and if he can stay injury free expect him to play a role in what will be a very congested season.

I'm not saying he's bad, he's just very very mediocre.

And what's the point of having your 5th choice midfielder on decent wages not even taking a place on the bench most weeks? 

He's not as bad as Silva and Mills but I'd definitely put him in the next tier down alongside Slimani or Matt Jones in terms of poor value for money.

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm not saying he's bad, he's just very very mediocre.

And what's the point of having your 5th choice midfielder on decent wages not even taking a place on the bench most weeks? 

He's not as bad as Silva and Mills but I'd definitely put him in the next tier down alongside Slimani or Matt Jones in terms of poor value for money.

We have no idea what his wage is. If I had to guess I would think he will of taken a wage cut to get this new contract.