Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Papy Mendy New Deal until 2022

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

He's not a starter though is he, he's gap filler. He's a solid player, and we need solid professionals who know their role won't be starting every week. I said in another thread a while back, if you look at successful clubs, especially the Fergie era at Manchester United, that was built on not just getting the best first 11 he could, but also fleshing out the squad with dependable players to fill in. O'Shea, Brown, Butt, Park, Phil Neville, Solskjaer, Blomquist, Fortune and many more were able deputies who weren't a patch on the regular starters, but knew their role and put in solid performances when called on.

This is the perfect analogy for me. I can think of a few times when all of these players made an impact for Man U, but ultimately all of them ended up moving on to teams like Sunderland, Everton, etc. Decent clubs but not teams going for the title. You need players like that during the course of the season so you can cope with injuries and rest your key men. We have quite a few players like this now; Nacho, Praet, Ward and Mendy and though they vary across the board in terms of quality, they are definitely needed, especially as we are both playing more games in Europe AND will have a "double season" - the end of the 20/21 season and the start of the 21/22 season will come about very quickly because this season is starting late. 

• Like 1

I get the squad player thing. I’d just like to see someone pushing Wilf for that first team spot

It’s never healthy to have a player ‘nailed on’ to start every league game, unless they are on scintillating form. I was perplexed when Vardy got dropped (under Puel) in favour of Nacho or Gray up top. But thinking about it, it probably gave him the kick up the arse he needed.

Unless Mendy really improves, he’s not going to oust Ndidi.

I’d like to see the club push on. Having the likes of Mendy, James, Amartey etc around. None will improve our first team and it’s clear our first team needs improving. After our immense start last season, we were rubbish.

Edited by Col city fan

50 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I get the squad player thing. I’d just like to see someone pushing Wilf for that first team spot

It’s never healthy to have a player ‘nailed on’ to start every league game, unless they are on scintillating form. I was perplexed when Vardy got dropped (under Puel) in favour of Nacho or Gray up top. But thinking about it, it probably gave him the kick up the arse he needed.

I’d like to see the club push on. Having the likes of Mendy, James, Amartey etc around. None will improve our first team and it’s clear our first team needs improving. After our immense start last season, we were rubbish.

We are in the midst of a massive economic downturn and recession. The club are operating on a reduced budget. Ideal scenario yes you are correct, real world we need to put the budget towards what we really need and not luxuries. We aren’t Man City.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We are in the midst of a massive economic downturn and recession. The club are operating on a reduced budget. Ideal scenario yes you are correct, real world we need to put the budget towards what we really need and not luxuries. We aren’t Man City.

We’ve got money haven’t we? Where’s the dosh gone that we got for Maguire or the very likely huge fee we’ll get for Chillers?

Financial prudence yes but I can’t get excited over extending Mendy’s contract.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Sadly the reality is unless we spend 30m+ on a CDM, we're never gonna have anyone pushing Wilf for his starting spot, we'll always just have a player or two to rotate him for when he needs a rest.

We've got to remember how much money has gone into the training ground and also the stadium expansion which will be happening in the next couple of years. Hopefully we can use Mendy in the earlier cup rounds and the easier EL ties, we might end up selling him for a small fee next summer.

I hope we never see the Mendy & N'Didi combo again in midfield though, that was painful.

Having given this some thought the priorities this summer IMO are this, and this order.

1. Right winger (left footed)

2. Centre back (right sided)

3. Left back (now chilwell has ****ed off)

4. Striker

5. Centre mid - creative

6. Centre mid - defensive

Given hes effectively a free and covers Wilf I think this is sensible. Unlikely we'd spend 20m + on a backup midfielder and as others have said you'd need to be spending roughly that much to rival wilf.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We’ve got money haven’t we? Where’s the dosh gone that we got for Maguire or the very likely huge fee we’ll get for Chillers?

How much did we spend last summer? How much does the training ground cost? How much do we owe other clubs for players already signed? How much have we lost because of what’s going on? How many contracts we renewed? 

Money we might have, money for second choice players unlikely to play much, in a position we already have numerous players... probably not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Col city fan said:

£65m of the Maguire money went on Tielemans & Praet. 

Yes we do have money. I’m not sure where the perception has came from. 

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

I think the club are quite happy for it to be perceived that we don't have much money in potential negotiations.

I’m sure that’s the case, but when we sell Maguire for £80m & Chilwell for £50m clubs know we aren’t short of money. 

I still don't think we've seen a fully fit Mendy having a run of games, every time there were glimpses of talent he got injured. I think if you can fix that somehow then there's clearly a player in there.

Also don't think it's simply a convenience deal. He could have easily gone back to France given he's a freebie, so I imagine he's been told he has a part to play next season and he's happy with that. 

20 hours ago, Sampson said:

Wtf? You'd be able to get much better than him for way less than £25mil. Praet is much better than him and came in for £18mil last season.

Matty James isn't any worse than him either (although is even more injury prone).

He's our 6th choice central midfielder after Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi, Praet and Choudhury.

You'd be better to give one of the youth or development players that role.

No doubt he's on decent wages as well given he was our record signing at the time.

He's been one of the biggest wastes of money in the club's history.

Not like you to exaggerate.