Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

'We're limited' – Brendan Rodgers makes Leicester City transfer admission

Just now, ealingfox said:

Well quite. But they are historically bigger than us and they both have bigger crowds and fanbases than us. As I said I think we are still a bigger deal today.

We'll see how many times Leeds are on TV compared to us this season in the premier league. 

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Until Everton are financially run into the ground, or indeed see any adverse consequences, rather than just getting gradually better players and managers in, then this is a nothing point.

Adverse consequences... like dropping 5 places in the league after spending about £400m. 

Do you have a billion pounds in the bank to spend on us? Or do you know someone who wants to buy us and spend money on us?

If not, then stop going on about other teams being bankrolled. Because as you say, "It's a nothing point". That's not what our owners want to do, end of story. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Adverse consequences... like dropping 5 places in the league after spending about £400m. 

Do you have a billion pounds in the bank to spend on us? Or do you know someone who wants to buy us and spend money on us?

If not, then stop going on about other teams being bankrolled. Because as you say, "It's a nothing point". That's not what our owners want to do, end of story. 

And I would ask why not, is all. I'm not asking for hundreds of millions to be spaffed - a fraction of that in fact.

Edited by ealingfox

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

And I would ask why not, is all. I'm not asking for hundreds of millions to be spaffed - a fraction of that in fact.

Because they don't want to. 

If they put in £30m you'd be happy? What about next season, and the season after and the season after that. Because unless it's consistent the money can vanish on one crap transfer and you're no better off. Money needs put in continuously to have any real long term impact. Unless you get lucky and buy the next Gareth Bale.

32 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Until Everton are financially run into the ground, or indeed see any adverse consequences, rather than just getting gradually better players and managers in, then this is a nothing point.

As is yours, for reference you finished a good bit higher in the table than Everton last season so following their approach and just throwing money at it perhaps isn't as effective as what Leicester are doing.  Furthermore, as has been said on this thread Everton's owners are pumping in millions, Leicester's aren't so in this vein trying to point to Everton as an example is the epitome of a nothing point.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Brendan is going to do one.  He comes across to me horny and frustrated.

He wants to do big things and i don't think Leicester can meet his expectations

Leicester is probably his level though, if you are talking about the size of club then Spurs at a push.

Saying that you are right, reckon he would be the type to jump ship if someone better approached. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

As is yours, for reference you finished a good bit higher in the table than Everton last season so following their approach and just throwing money at it perhaps isn't as effective as what Leicester are doing.  Furthermore, as has been said on this thread Everton's owners are pumping in millions, Leicester's aren't so in this vein trying to point to Everton as an example is the epitome of a nothing point.

We both achieved nothing tbh and I'm interested in the future, not the past. We will see where they end up and where we end up. Investing works and it always has done. As I've said, our owners should be pumping in money as well if they claim to be ambitious.

41 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Everton have owners that have decided to be very creative with injecting a few hundred million in to the club after huge losses. Do you want ours to do this? Is that reasonable to expect them to do so?

Personally steering us to winning the fcukin Prem and a top 5 in 4 years whilst every single club on a par with us and many supposedly bigger than us have been furtling with their own behinds suggests their model is good enough for me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Everton have owners that have decided to be very creative with injecting a few hundred million in to the club after huge losses. Do you want ours to do this? Is that reasonable to expect them to do so?

Personally steering us to winning the fcukin Prem and a top 5 in 4 years whilst every single club on a par with us and many supposedly bigger than us have been furtling with their own behinds suggests their model is good enough for me.

Yes I do want our owners to invest more and I don't think that's unreasonable no. I didn't put an amount on it but I would like to be in a position where we aren't playing midfielders in defence, holding retirement-age players hostage and giving Demarai Gray minutes.

We have done well, I'm not denying that. But I dont think its sustainable without going a bit bigger.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

We both achieved nothing tbh and I'm interested in the future, not the past. We will see where they end up and where we end up. Investing works and it always has done. As I've said, our owners should be pumping in money as well if they claim to be ambitious.

That is ridiculous short term thinking, when Moshiri gets bored, what then? Where is the money? Can they look after themselves? 

Nope, happy with our model thanks very much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

That is ridiculous short term thinking, when Moshiri gets bored, what then? Where is the money? Can they look after themselves? 

Nope, happy with our model thanks very much.

They'll be in a brand new bigger stadium for one thing.

The truth is he's 100% correct and last night really showed that up. The end of last season demonstrated it too when we simply couldn't cope with injuries to key players.

We have a very decent 14 or 15 players and the rest simply aren't good enough to maintain us at the top end of the league. Ideally we could do with another 4 quality players in this window and clearing out those who are just not going to play. Realistically we might get one in permanently and another on loan.

We have to get a CB and we could really use another striker. A few injuries to key players and we are going to be in for a very long and hard season. Priority has to be the Premier League and ensuring we stay in it. Anything else we really don't have the squad depth to cope with.

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

They'll be in a brand new bigger stadium for one thing.

This is true, but even out stadium will be bigger (Anyway, they both may still be empty...)

Also think people tend to overlook this unpleasant historic factor. I hate it and feel it is unjustifiable, but its definitely there, a bias towards historically big? successful? clubs  :dunno:

Winning a competition 20 years ago should have sod all to do with the contemporary perception of a club

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

This is true, but even out stadium will be bigger

Also think people tend to overlook this unpleasant historic factor. I hate it and feel it is unjustifiable, but its definitely there, a bias towards historically big? successful? clubs  :dunno:

Winning a competition 20 years ago should have sod all to do with the contemporary perception of a club

Eh? Bramley Moore Dock is going to be 52k, even if we were to expand KPS we wont be getting anywhere near that.

4 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Eh? Bramley Moore Dock is going to be 52k, even if we were to expand KPS we wont be getting anywhere near that.

Yes, sorry I meant bigger than it is now, not bigger than theirs

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There is sonething that worries me as a fan with all of the tranfer monies/contractual monies and TV rights discussions on here at the minute. I'm leaning on the spend to recruit fence.

On the one have you have the fans that want the owners to invest because, like Everton, they have billionaire owners. 

On the other hand you have the fans who don't want to step outside of the clubs safety net in terms of their current model for fear of disaster.

I can see both detailed arguments but one thing bothers me in that for example should BR go and a new manager comes in, making a few bad signings and we finish in the bottom half of the table then what? Do we then spend to get out of that? Or stick to our model and gamble with another future manager? 

It only takes a couple of major changes at a club like ours with managers like Puel, who made rash transfers like ghezzal (which he pushed through the recruitment himself), and then we are back to square one in the prem and clawing for a top 10 finish.

If we have (rough) net spend of £20mil then I don't see the problem in overspending am additional £10-15mil when going after priority CB's like Fofana, or adding a striker on loan on top with an option to buy. This is a key season and my biggest concerns are injurys to our priority players via overplaying them.

20 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Well that's nonsense isn't it as Leicester qualified for Europe and the second best premier league season in history.

Maybe you'd be happier blowing wads of cash every summer on dross like Everton and West Ham and getting nowhere. Talk about being spoiled.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1