Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

'We're limited' – Brendan Rodgers makes Leicester City transfer admission

2 hours ago, dooflip said:

All of your points are very valid and I respect them. But albrighton isn’t good enough for us anymore and we should be looking to move him on. The same should be said for fuchs, nacho, gray, James, Perez, possibly even choudhury and benkovic. A case could also be made for Morgan. Along with the other dead money hangons in ghezzal, slimani, diabate, and silva. Oh I almost forgot the world most expensive back up goalkeeper😂 he can go. Unless we move schmeichel instead which I wouldn’t be against in all honesty.

get them all/most of them gone and we might actually be able to afford a decent player or two.

anyone who is wanting to keep several of those or is backing them based on sentiment is ok and entitled to do so, as long as they were extremely outspoken about and against the sacking of Claudio. Otherwise they are Hippocrates. 

Nacho & Perez are more than good enough for a place in our squad.

Fuchs, Gray, James all need to be gone come the end of the season, but we don't have the funds to replace them this summer, otherwise I'd imagine we would have done. We might get a fee for Gray if someone needs a winger come deadline day. All three will be replaced next summer, funded by the sale of one of our stars I'd imagine.

I'm undecided on Hamza and Benko.

Ghezzal, Slimani, Diabate and Silva will all go when we find a suitable buyer, this will happen closer to the deadline, I can't see any of them staying here for the season. Once they go, it'll free up some wages for a loanee to come in hopefully.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dooflip said:

All of your points are very valid and I respect them. But albrighton isn’t good enough for us anymore and we should be looking to move him on. The same should be said for fuchs, nacho, gray, James, Perez, possibly even choudhury and benkovic. A case could also be made for Morgan. Along with the other dead money hangons in ghezzal, slimani, diabate, and silva. Oh I almost forgot the world most expensive back up goalkeeper😂 he can go. Unless we move schmeichel instead which I wouldn’t be against in all honesty.

get them all/most of them gone and we might actually be able to afford a decent player or two.

anyone who is wanting to keep several of those or is backing them based on sentiment is ok and entitled to do so, as long as they were extremely outspoken about and against the sacking of Claudio. Otherwise they are Hippocrates. 

Pretty sure Chelsea have a 70 million quid back up goalkeeper! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At the end of the day it’s quite simple, Silva, Slimani, Ghezzal simply need to leave the club before the end of the window.

Anyone else is at least in the squad and offering something. These 3 are some of the highest earners we have and offer nothing. 
If we can get them off the wage bill and bring in 2 CB one ready to start and one that is ready to be developed (Maybe we have this in Benkovic and Knight) and another attacking option then it has been a fantastic window.

• Like 2

While I am disappointed that the club apparently says that it has limited funds to spend as the total net outlay has been pretty much zero or negative since the title winning season, I am also glad in some ways that we had tried not to let any manager does too many signings to overhaul the squad in any one window. It is more sustainable and creates a better family atmosphere - look at how Van Gaal and Mourinho gutted the Man Utd squad and team morale for years. I just hope this is in fact the motivation and there is a long term plan to add to or replace some parts of the aging or redundant squad.

We have not done too badly, but the club really cannot afford too many Silvas or Slimanis if subsequent managers are not going to use them. They were very expensive and are still on our wage bill!  

If Rodgers wants another backup striker, maybe try Slimani or even Gray first if they are kept in the squad. Hirst will hopefully also come good in a few years’ time.

Edited by Tom12345

2 hours ago, shailen said:

I don't buy the fact we don't have money. All the sales in recent seasons and the top half finishes must mean we're doing fine financially. I think it's just a ploy to get players in on the cheap. 

I’m pretty sure the club is trying to play the long game financially what with Covid and the longer term realities if this which means that the club are mindful of the fact that they can’t just spend willy nilly as much as some want to. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, urban fox said:

I think that you will find that actually he is. In the strict sense he earns his living as a footballer therefore he is a professional. In the wider sense he is what most people would describe as a model professional, does what is demanded of him, doesn’t whinge or moan, cause trouble or disruption. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on players, and maybe he is no longer our best option under the current system but such ridiculous statements about someone who is a club legend is totally uncalled for. This is a player who has a premier league winners medal, scored our first ever CL goal and then the one that secured us a place in the QF of that competition. Time to finish your homework and get to bed.

It was all going so well until your last sanctimonious line. 

15 hours ago, Xen said:

He specifically mentions attacking acquisitions, so I'd interpret that to mean that we are still in the market for a CB and that that is the priority. On the presumption that we do manage to bring in a CB (Fofana or Tah, probably), then we'll have done exactly what most of us hoped for prior to the window opening; a new FB to replace Chilwell, an improvement at RW and more depth at CB. A striker was always going to be a luxury at this stage, especially with first-choice Vardy still playing at the top-level meaning any newcomer would most likely be on the bench.

Wait until next summer then offload a few of the bigger deadwood contracts (Gray/Slimani/Silva etc) and bring in someone like Edouard (who'll only have 12 months left on his contract next summer), along with signing Ünder permanently. Seems like a pretty solid strategy to me.

It took a while to get going but we've had a pretty good window all things considered. And all for a net-spend close to zero.

The first 3 lines of this don’t make any sense 

40 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

At the end of the day it’s quite simple, Silva, Slimani, Ghezzal simply need to leave the club before the end of the window.

Anyone else is at least in the squad and offering something. These 3 are some of the highest earners we have and offer nothing. 
If we can get them off the wage bill and bring in 2 CB one ready to start and one that is ready to be developed (Maybe we have this in Benkovic and Knight) and another attacking option then it has been a fantastic window.

You forgot Matty James how much is he in per week??!!!!!! 60 k?? For doing sweet Fcux all !!!!! 

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

No way is Matty James on anything close to 60k per week,

I bet he isn’t on too much lower than that ..... he got his new deal when he was playing again didn’t he?  We wouldn’t have assumed he would fall apart again otherwise why offer another deal?  Perhaps another black mark in rennie’s book ?

4 hours ago, Ely fox said:

The first 3 lines of this don’t make any sense 

Why not?

Leicester City are unlikely to have the financial resources to strengthen further in attack this transfer window, Brendan Rodgers has admitted.

If we weren't in the market for any more signings at all, he wouldn't have said 'in attack'. The implication is that whatever our next business is (strongly linked with CBs currently) will use up the last of our budgeted resources and an attacker as well is unlikely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I bet he isn’t on too much lower than that ..... he got his new deal when he was playing again didn’t he?  We wouldn’t have assumed he would fall apart again otherwise why offer another deal?  Perhaps another black mark in rennie’s book ?

Not sure of the accuracy of this website, I haven’t used it before and others may be able to confirm or exclude it as rubbish.

This has him on $32,000 per week, which I would say is far more accurate than 60,000 based on his standing within the squad at the time of the new contract.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/salarysport.com/football/player/matty-james/amp/
Edit other sauces appear to agree with the 32,000https://onefootball.com/en/news/brendan-rodgers-offers-fresh-matty-james-update-29172800

Edited by Aus Fox

Should Ndidi's injury not lead to a change of priority? Could we look to loan in a decent DM until January, perhaps a player frozen out at current club maybe in last year of contract but capable of doing a good job here rather than sacrifice our chances in the first third of the season. It reminds me of the Drinky / Silva debacle, we could all see we'd have 4 months of King or James (although Silva becoming available wasn't the adequate solution either). It's bad luck but it's not like we don't know he's injured and don't have time to respond. The likes of Mendy and Choudhury won't be sufficient when we play the better sides in the league.

Alternatively use the "makeweight" approach and offer Gray plus cash for an attacking player rather than find all of the money outright. 

3 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Should Ndidi's injury not lead to a change of priority? Could we look to loan in a decent DM until January, perhaps a player frozen out at current club maybe in last year of contract but capable of doing a good job here rather than sacrifice our chances in the first third of the season. It reminds me of the Drinky / Silva debacle, we could all see we'd have 4 months of King or James (although Silva becoming available wasn't the adequate solution either). It's bad luck but it's not like we don't know he's injured and don't have time to respond. The likes of Mendy and Choudhury won't be sufficient when we play the better sides in the league.

Alternatively use the "makeweight" approach and offer Gray plus cash for an attacking player rather than find all of the money outright. 

I think central defence is still the top priority. Maybe even more so now that even the first choice non-CB to fill in there is out injured. We might still be able to find a DM on loan, as well, but I think Mendy is a very good deputy.

The Ndidi injury is a massive kick in the nuts, but at least it happened with the transfer window open. Would have been a lot worse had it happened in two weeks' time.

12 hours ago, shailen said:

I don't buy the fact we don't have money. All the sales in recent seasons and the top half finishes must mean we're doing fine financially. I think it's just a ploy to get players in on the cheap. 

Yes we are doing fine financially, there are no massive issues, other than hopefully short term Covid ones, but that’s an expensive one right there.

But we also spend the money that comes in on paying high wages, buying players and infrastructure. 

We pump back in pretty much everything that comes into the club. There is no giant pot of cash sat there waiting to spend on a load of players.

31 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

We already have another 3 DM’s in the club and you could put Praet in there. There is really no need.

• Like 1

Will you sign another defensive midfielder?

“We have other priorities with the resources we have. We are looking at other positions. We have players who are capable of stepping in. Papy Mendy has done very well, Choudhury covered the ground very well against Arsenal."

14 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Not picking at you directly here Aus Fox but the statement “Silva, Slimani, Ghezzal simply need to leave the club” is such an easy flippant comment that so many people make. Do we honestly not think someone at the club has tried this, I’m sure it’s not just us in here that has worked out they are a little bit shit.

For example Slimani on perhaps 90k a week, who on gods green earth do you think will pay him that? So his options are take a 50k a week pay cut or see his contract out with us. Just because you say he needs to go I don’t think will persuade him to simply leave the best contract he will ever have in his life! Same for, Silva and Ghezzal. The reason we attract them here is the same reason we can never get rid if they flop, money. 
It’s easy for key board managers to mentally get rid of our dead wood and sign 5 more! In the real world it’s a bit different.