Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

'We're limited' – Brendan Rodgers makes Leicester City transfer admission

10 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

We’ll be even more limited if we don’t invest and finish bottom half. We need a winger nearly as urgent as cb! If under or Barnes get injured we’re back to Perez who isn’t a winger or albrighton who isn’t a professional footballer 

Perez got 8 goals and 4 assists last season, happy with him as 3rd choice. Hopefully move Gray on and bring another in but Ünder was the priority signing and any extra wingers is merely a desire but given the current restrictions not exactly that important.

• Like 2

Leicester City is still seen as a parochial club by players and football people both home and abroad by advertisers, media companies and many more even after our recent successes all this makes it very difficult to increase our revenues.

We've also got a relatively small catchment area and it takes years and constant success to increase and maintain a bigger fan base. 

A bigger stadium not only allows us to increase fanbase and our matchday revenues but hopefully with enhance how we're viewed by those mentioned above thus also increasing our revenues. 

Covid has had just as much of an effect on the non-playing progress obviously with the new training centre but I would think also with the stadium expansion.

We need to improve equally off and on the pitch if we are ever going to be viewed as more than a here today Premier League team gone tomorrow Championship one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Some of us old fogies - almost 40 years since my first game - tend to be a little calmer about our prospects.

The young 'uns think we have a loser mentality because we're not demanding top four every season.

Not only is that made up (I haven't seen anyone demanding top four every season) but anyone around the age of 30 or above has seen 4 relegations, administration, and the lowest point in our history, as well as 04-08. It's just not true to suggest that fans under the age of 50 haven't suffered or that older fans have some kind of monopoly on 'when we were shit'.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Not only is that made up (I haven't seen anyone demanding top four every season) but anyone around the age of 30 or above has seen 4 relegations, administration, and the lowest point in our history, as well as 04-08. It's just not true to suggest that fans under the age of 50 haven't suffered or that older fans have some kind of monopoly on 'when we were shit'.

I was referring more to the under 25s, who generally have a louder voice on the internet, who perhaps have less patience and greater expectations than those who've been on this lcfc rollercoaster a whole lot longer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Yet Everton are still spending big.

Me, Babylon and a few others have tried to explain this for some weeks now, the club has adopted a strategy to put money in the wage bill, which to be fair seems to be working.

Notice how new contracts got announced after Chilwell was sold.

This essentially means that when we sell players for big money at least part of that money is going into the wage bill, it is what it is, and I rather we do this than run annual losses hitting FFP limits.

Also factor in as well the TV money rebates and loss of matchday income, I am actually genuinely surprised we have spent what we have done.  The sponsorship changes likely enabled us to do so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Covid has had just as much of an effect on the non-playing progress obviously with the new training centre but I would think also with the stadium expansion.

Personally I can’t see the expansion happening any more. 

Feels like one of those things we’ve been waiting for them to pull the trigger on for ages, only for the moment to have gone.

Hope I’m wrong of course!

6 hours ago, ealingfox said:

In the act of spending, not what its spent on. I would expect us to spend better than West Ham ffs. And at no point did I say we should be spending 'wild amounts'. Just more.

6 hours ago, ealingfox said:

We've sold a player for 50m and spent 24m on 2 new ones. That's a whopping spend of -26m.

🧐

5000E0AA-F64C-4478-B55B-872AB32AE5AC.jpeg

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

I think that you will find that actually he is. In the strict sense he earns his living as a footballer therefore he is a professional. In the wider sense he is what most people would describe as a model professional, does what is demanded of him, doesn’t whinge or moan, cause trouble or disruption. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on players, and maybe he is no longer our best option under the current system but such ridiculous statements about someone who is a club legend is totally uncalled for. This is a player who has a premier league winners medal, scored our first ever CL goal and then the one that secured us a place in the QF of that competition. Time to finish your homework and get to bed.

All of your points are very valid and I respect them. But albrighton isn’t good enough for us anymore and we should be looking to move him on. The same should be said for fuchs, nacho, gray, James, Perez, possibly even choudhury and benkovic. A case could also be made for Morgan. Along with the other dead money hangons in ghezzal, slimani, diabate, and silva. Oh I almost forgot the world most expensive back up goalkeeper😂 he can go. Unless we move schmeichel instead which I wouldn’t be against in all honesty.

get them all/most of them gone and we might actually be able to afford a decent player or two.

anyone who is wanting to keep several of those or is backing them based on sentiment is ok and entitled to do so, as long as they were extremely outspoken about and against the sacking of Claudio. Otherwise they are Hippocrates. 

Edited by dooflip

9 minutes ago, dooflip said:

All of your points are very valid and I respect them. But albrighton isn’t good enough for us anymore and we should be looking to move him on. The same should be said for fuchs, nacho, gray, James, Perez, possibly even choudhury and benkovic. A case could also be made for Morgan. Along with the other dead money hangons in ghezzal, slimani, diabate, and silva. Oh I almost forgot the world most expensive back up goalkeeper😂 he can go. Unless we move schmeichel instead which I wouldn’t be against in all honesty.

get them all/most of them gone and we might actually be able to afford a decent player or two.

anyone who is wanting to keep several of those or is backing them based on sentiment is ok and entitled to do so, as long as they were extremely outspoken about and against the sacking of Claudio. Otherwise they are Hippocrates. 

I was simply making the point that there is no need to post such crass insults regarding one who has been a great servant to the club. Maybe his time is passed but that is a different debate.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ely fox said:

Well possibly because what with no crowds at games and no income from that  and no endorsements there might be a little problem don’t you think?

Add the lack of duty free spending in Bangkok airport for the last 6 months & the foreseeable future to that list as well 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heymister2015 said:

We’ll be even more limited if we don’t invest and finish bottom half. We need a winger nearly as urgent as cb! If under or Barnes get injured we’re back to Perez who isn’t a winger or albrighton who isn’t a professional footballer 

I'm hoping we've moved on fro Albrighton but he will always be a legend. 

You'll perhaps be remembered for this comment, I hope not for your sake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dooflip said:

Should you have a couple of hours to spare perhaps you could help the club  find buyers for 16 players.

We're probably more than happy to shift a quarter of those but strangely, in these times, nobody wants to spend money. 

10 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Well quite. But they are historically bigger than us and they both have bigger crowds and fanbases than us. As I said I think we are still a bigger deal today.

10 hours ago, Babylon said:

They both have bigger fanbases and bigger stadiums. We're talking finance here, whether you like it or not they are able to make more money than us when. 

Historically and domestically perhaps, although I am obviously not personally in any position to definitively proclaim on the present validity (or otherwise) of these assertions.

City is presently a WORLDWIDE brand, particularly since the 2015/16 season when our cinderella story resonated around the world. We now have players and fans from across the globe (reasonably certainly in the millions in Thailand, Turkey, Nigeria/Ghana/Africa, some remnants from Algeria and increasingly Belgium, where of course we also have something of a quasi-presence through OH Leuven). Furthermore, virtually ALL EPL games are shown across the globe (even games that may not be aired in the UK). For instance, BeIN Sports airs EVERY SINGLE GAME in the EPL across its various channels. In contrast, games in the Championship are rarely (if ever) shown in most parts of the world. Accordingly, the Leeds brand and global fanbase arguably has not keep apace with ours over the past 16 years. The last time Leeds were playing on the big stage, EPL games were hardly screened in the huge markets of the US (apart from a handful of games on cable or pay-TV) and Africa (with a population of 1.2 billion football-crazy folks), the Internet was largely dial-up and streaming had more to do with the golden kind.

Newcastle, in spite the bumblings of Mike Ashly, probably retains a bigger fanbase at least on these Isles, but while we were making a run to the latter stages of world's most glamorous club competition a few years ago and being beamed in pubs, igloos, and huts all across the globe, they were busy fighting of relegation and lucky to be watched with any interest outside of the Northeast. The world evolves and so does our place in it.  

Edited by NaijaFox