Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Leicester City could be upgraded Adidas ‘B’ team

6 hours ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.umbro.com/en-ww/category/kits/

This season they have done kits for:

Schalke, Werder Bremen, West Ham, Brentford, Luton, Hearts, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Derby, Blackburn, Hull, Burnley, FC. Nurnberg

Apart from the maybe 1 or 2, they are all pretty boring

i saw someone rocking a white west ham one and it looked class. the England umbro kits were always top notch. 

17 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Major difference I see is the ability to sell shirts and merchandise outside of your own country. 

I'd say we aren't quite there yet - it's only repeat European campaigns what's going to do that. Football world will be conscious to who we are without actually watching us play much. Bordeaux is weird though. Union Berlin have a cult status, so have plenty in Europe buy their shirts. 

I wonder how much this plays into the club's marketing, e.g. pushing Cags on social media and even putting a finger on the scales for the Under deal - it means there is a growing market in Turkey for LCFC gear, adding that to Thailand and fans picked up 2015-2016. I can't believe our owners moved from being fairly bigger fish in Puma'a pond to being minnows in Adidas's pond without some targets and guarantees being in place to move to Tier 2.

I know this will be unpopular but I'll say it anyway. I wish the club would make their own shirts.55 quid for something that costs less than a fiver to make? There's massive profits to make there. OHL's first shirt could be our second and vice versa. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I know this will be unpopular but I'll say it anyway. I wish the club would make their own shirts.55 quid for something that costs less than a fiver to make? There's massive profits to make there. OHL's first shirt could be our second and vice versa. 

Fox leisure was a disaster but times have moved on. 

As a traditional clothing city, wouldn't it be nice to place a deal with a local manufacturer and showcase the City's heritage and industry? 

If costs of production are higher in the UK and prove prohibitive, just outsource to one of the local Indian sweatshops hidden around Catherine Street and use the Abundunt slave labour - probably on less an hour than your average Bangladeshi 👍

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not that it's an unpopular opinion, it's just one that's maybe a bit misguided. 

I don't think you have enough appreciation for how much football shirt culture has changed over the last couple of decades. It's like trainers have grown from being a commodity in to a significant quarter of contemporary fashion.

People don't only buy football shirts because they like the clubs, it's not really that simple. If you're the size of Man Utd, you'll sell X amount globally anyway, maybe, but they're something of an exception and even they'll only sell in the same sheer mass bulk if the kit is good. 

Look at clubs like PSG and Roma, they aren't just football clubs anymore, they're brands. PSG in particular have really pushed to market themselves as a merchandising brand in conjunction with Nike, they sell as much as they do and have celebs wearing their gear not because they're PSG fans but because its fashionable. 

I own shirts as diverse as Roma, PSV, Dortmund, Copenhagen, Atlanta United and Kashima Antlers and I'm not talking about ten quid Ali express knock offs, I'm talking about full price fifty quid official merch. I didn't buy any of those because I'm a fan of the clubs, I bought them because they were cool kits. 

Now you might think that's weird but I'm sure you've spent money on shit that I'd think is strange and that's the point, you probably aren't their target audience. 

Nobody is going to buy a Leicester City kit made by an equivalent of Fox Leisure other than die hard Leicester fans. Even a lot of our season ticket holders probably wouldn't buy it if it was shit, you've seen the threads on here every year obsessing over the kit release and the training gear etc. 

Ask @Samilktray if he'd be seen dead in an ugly own brand Leicester shirt if it was as naff as it probably would be. 

Commercial revenue is sadly massive. You can have the biggest billionaire owners in the world but ffp means they can only inject X amount before you're in trouble and our owners want us to be self sufficient anyway. 

Clubs like Liverpool, United and Arsenal will always be streets ahead because their commercial revenue is just so massive. A recent chart on projected covid losses showed that we're one of the clubs in the league MOST dependent on our match day revenue and that's because we don't have much of a commercial global footprint. What would make something like this genuinely exciting is the opportunity to increase the amount we make my selling Leicester kit globally in sport shops in Beijing, Tokyo, New York, Sydney, etc. 

I get what you're saying, and I sort of knew that anyway it just seems a bit shallow to me. 

I wasn't thinking of bringing back fox leisure, something a little more neutral. We could make it a niche hipster brand. I know its not that easy though. 

9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

As a traditional clothing city, wouldn't it be nice to place a deal with a local manufacturer and showcase the City's heritage and industry? 

If costs of production are higher in the UK and prove prohibitive, just outsource to one of the local Indian sweatshops hidden around Catherine Street and use the Abundunt slave labour - probably on less an hour than your average Bangladeshi 👍

I was thinking they could still be made in Thailand, probably in the same factory as the Adidas shirts. 

Edited by Webbo

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We could make it a niche hipster brand. I know its not that easy though

The problem is, it's not really a subculture that goes for niche and hipster. There's a massive amount of brand snobbery, I know I keep picking on Milktray but see what happens when you wave Umbro or Admiral at him let alone Joma or Jako. 

There's a bit of mileage in some of the Italian brands like Kappa but that's about as "hipster" as you get and they don't have the global power to get all your merch in cities around the world. It's pretty much Nike, Adidas or nothing, maybe one of the new American players like Under Armour that have clout from US sports. 

The closest thing I can think of to what you're imagining is St Pauli. They sell their official shirts (they used to use a small local German firm but Under Armour make bespoke kits for them now) but they also have their own fashion line that's meant to appeal to their cult following, it's exactly that, hipster stuff, parkas, bomber jackets, field caps, polo shirts, denimwear, etc. 

There's two things with that, though, first is that they have a very unique club culture that's been courting the punk community locally and globally for decades. Secondly, it keeps the lights on but its not exactly making them billions. As you say, it's niche. They can outspend maybe 2/3rds of the German second division but that's about it. 

Fortunately for them, part of that club culture is not giving a toss about mainstream success. But our owners want to gate crash the top table. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The problem is, it's not really a subculture that goes for niche and hipster. There's a massive amount of brand snobbery, I know I keep picking on Milktray but see what happens when you wave Umbro or Admiral at him let alone Joma or Jako. 

There's a bit of mileage in some of the Italian brands like Kappa but that's about as "hipster" as you get and they don't have the global power to get all your merch in cities around the world. It's pretty much Nike, Adidas or nothing, maybe one of the new American players like Under Armour that have clout from US sports. 

The closest thing I can think of to what you're imagining is St Pauli. They sell their official shirts (they used to use a small local German firm but Under Armour make bespoke kits for them now) but they also have their own fashion line that's meant to appeal to their cult following, it's exactly that, hipster stuff, parkas, bomber jackets, field caps, polo shirts, denimwear, etc. 

There's two things with that, though, first is that they have a very unique club culture that's been courting the punk community locally and globally for decades. Secondly, it keeps the lights on but its not exactly making them billions. As you say, it's niche. They can outspend maybe 2/3rds of the German second division but that's about it. 

Fortunately for them, part of that club culture is not giving a toss about mainstream success. But our owners want to gate crash the top table. 

I quite like some of Jomas recent kits and I’d love us to have a Hummel kit, so boy oh boy have you got me wrong! 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

When was the last time a top flight club made there own kits? I can only think of Roma doing it for 1 season about 10 years ago

Southampton did one in 2014/2015 after falling out with Adidas for a year, didn’t look bad to be fair, but they quickly signed with under armour a couple of seasons after!

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

When was the last time a top flight club made there own kits? I can only think of Roma doing it for 1 season about 10 years ago

Saints did until about 5 years ago. Non prem but also Bristol city until couple of seasons ago. Generally like many have said a recognised brand builds on the overall reputation of the club and tend to sell more leisurewear. The training range seems to be exploding year on year!

21 minutes ago, RGFox said:

Saints did until about 5 years ago. Non prem but also Bristol city until couple of seasons ago. Generally like many have said a recognised brand builds on the overall reputation of the club and tend to sell more leisurewear. The training range seems to be exploding year on year!

Yeah the amount and variation in training gear in the Celtic range since we moved to Adidas has been insane.

On 27/10/2020 at 10:18, Paninistickers said:

Totally agree with this. If Man City can have a short with Paisley patterns on it surely we can have one made of lace?  Just a thought. 

If we want to go to the next step then this is the route to doing it. I've traveled extensively across europe and the sheer number of shops across the continent (and the world no doubt) is mind blowing. If we dismissed this to go back in time for our own brand of shirt then to me that is pretty disastrous with the extra revenue and exposure we would otherwise get.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

If we actually get some bespoke designs, I may actually cop a few.

Quite ashamedly I have somehow bought all three shirts this year and the new Europe black training t shirt and top. 

Put a deposit down for the Thailand smiles with you home top as it would spread the cost out. Ended up using some leftover vouchers for the white Europe away top (got to have one with the Europa league badge on!). But then I’ve just bought the maroon away and training tops just because I liked the style so much :sweating: