Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Leicester City could be upgraded Adidas ‘B’ team

There was a thread on the huddleboard about exactly this last season when we (Celtic) signed the Adidas deal. Unsurprisingly which tier you sit in depends entirely on how many shirts you sell, for comparison rough figures I found were, in typical years:

Leicester City: 50-70k shirts

Celtic:              160-200k shirts

Arsenal:           800k shirts

Man Utd:         3.25m

Depending on where you fall in these tiers depends on the level of bespoke service you get. I think in the range 100k + per season you'll get bespoke designs and ranges and your shirt will be sold globally, for example you can buy the Celtic shirt in the Adidas store in new york. Although the bigger clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd get an ever greater level of range, marketing etc.

4 hours ago, jaqo88 said:

Wouldn’t you sell even more shirts if it was more readily available though? I live in Sydney and would probably buy one if there were shirts in the Adidas store here but there isn’t so I am less likely to buy one altogether.

Guess it may be hard to gauge demand but the longer we stay in the higher positions in the league and potentially Europe, then surely they won’t be able to deny the tier upgrade.

Likewise in Melbourne, I recruit everyone I meet, some have bought shirts on line, but I know others would if they were available.

I would also put in a shirt into work secret Santa every year if I could pop down and get one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaqo88 said:

Wouldn’t you sell even more shirts if it was more readily available though? I live in Sydney and would probably buy one if there were shirts in the Adidas store here but there isn’t so I am less likely to buy one altogether.

Guess it may be hard to gauge demand but the longer we stay in the higher positions in the league and potentially Europe, then surely they won’t be able to deny the tier upgrade.

I'm not sure really, I guess there is a cost associated with having it in more geographical locations and I imagine the marketing boffins at Adidas have a good idea where it's viable or not to stock a certain side's strip.

Think that's the key, consistently becoming one of the top sides in the league will increase demand through the EPL's marketing machine in Asia particularly.

I'm sure when we had Nakamura for example our kit sales were at their highest and weren't far off double what they are now. We were Nike at that time in saying that.

12 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

There was a thread on the huddleboard about exactly this last season when we (Celtic) signed the Adidas deal. Unsurprisingly which tier you sit in depends entirely on how many shirts you sell, for comparison rough figures I found were, in typical years:

Depending on where you fall in these tiers depends on the level of bespoke service you get. I think in the range 100k + per season you'll get bespoke designs and ranges and your shirt will be sold globally, for example you can buy the Celtic shirt in the Adidas store in new york. Although the bigger clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd get an ever greater level of range, marketing etc.

We're lead to believe that Celtic are this massive, globally adored club, yet their shirt sales according to this are a quarter of Arsenal's and a fraction of Man Utd's, while our sales are between a quarter and a third of Celtic's! Imagine what our shirt sales figures were not just 10 years ago but 5, at the start of the 2015/16 season. We're growing exponentially and it's ****ing mental to see.

I don't think it's as difficult to build fans overseas as people think. I've seen some interviews on build ups to games I've streamed and it's often....

'I started supporting Leicester last week because I watched a game and really liked this one goal they scored so now they're my team' lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

We're lead to believe that Celtic are this massive, globally adored club, yet their shirt sales according to this are a quarter of Arsenal's and a fraction of Man Utd's, while our sales are between a quarter and a third of Celtic's! Imagine what our shirt sales figures were not just 10 years ago but 5, at the start of the 2015/16 season. We're growing exponentially and it's ****ing mental to see.

I think we do have a global reach Celtic, we have supporters clubs all over the world but it's a very organic, long held fan base that's been built up via ex-pats and family history, etc. I've been in CSC's in Florida, New York, LA, Sydeny, Melbourne, Villareal and Dubai for example. In modern day terms though we aren't close to the level of exposure, marketing or global reach as the top EPL clubs nowadays who have huge followings in Asia nor do I think any Celtic fans think we are either. If we ever left the Scottish league, which I'm not sure I'd want to happen anyway that may change however.

8 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I don't think it's as difficult to build fans overseas as people think. I've seen some interviews on build ups to games I've streamed and it's often....

'I started supporting Leicester last week because I watched a game and really liked this one goal they scored so now they're my team' lol 

Yeah totally agree with this, that in itself is probably an issue with Asian and African marketing and the likes. You'll gain new followers when your doing well but unless you can stay at the top, compete in the CL etc these fickle, fair weather fans will disappear and move onto whoever is the best team at that moment in time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

The fact any teams in the Premier League still have to rely on lazy templates is laughable

All comes down to money and shirt sales though. Fulham for examle I think struggle to sell 30k shirts a year, it's not worthwhile for a large kit manufacturer to give them a bespoke service. If they want that they should go with a less prominent manufacturer and sacrifice a bit of sponsorship money.

18 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Wolves have reportedly signed a deal with Castore for less money a year than they have with adidas, safe to assume they’ll be getting bespoke kits from them 

Castore have been an absolute disaster with Rangers. They were selling fruit of the loom type sweaters with Castore and Rangers badges printed on them. Then there have been multiple variations of the same shirt. They totally underestimated the demand and have struggled to keep up with it. More than a few links to Mike Ashley also.

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Castore have been an absolute disaster with Rangers. They were selling fruit of the loom type sweaters with Castore and Rangers badges printed on them. Then there have been multiple variations of the same shirt. They totally underestimated the demand and have struggled to keep up with it. More than a few links to Mike Ashley also.

Source for the castore info? Not doubting you just a kit geek, I thought castore might do alright and they'd released some classy retro style shirts. But different variants of one shirt is shocking for a new company.

15 minutes ago, blurryface said:

Source for the castore info? Not doubting you just a kit geek, I thought castore might do alright and they'd released some classy retro style shirts. But different variants of one shirt is shocking for a new company.

It was all over the Scottish newspapers, twitter, Rangers forums. I'm sure if you google you'll find a lot of the side by side images and the story about the school jumpers having castore and rangers logos ironed on and sold for £80.00 or something.

Some examples below:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/castore-rangers-apology-ibrox-fans-22555457

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/pathetic-quality-on-castores-rfc-range.131069/page-74

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-castore-kit-strip-celtic-18805463

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Never ever seen a replica Celtic Shirt down the 'hooky' Market I frequent in Kuala Lumpur but there are always excellent LCFC replica's readily available.  

I obviously missed the market when we visited earlier this year, that would've been the highlight. KL is the most disappointing City I've ever visited.

It's been noticable the last few year that our shirts do appear more often in these slightly 'less official' markets offering 'genuine replica' shirts.

17 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Closed loop, to sell more you need global coverage, but can only get global coverage by selling more,

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Never ever seen a replica Celtic Shirt down the 'hooky' Market I frequent in Kuala Lumpur but there are always excellent LCFC replica's readily available.  

There wasn't any in Turkey this year. All the usual suspects plus Leeds and Wolves, but no Leicester shirts.

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

There wasn't any in Turkey this year. All the usual suspects plus Leeds and Wolves, but no Leicester shirts.

Will be soon me thinks, now we have Cengiz and Cags.

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

I obviously missed the market when we visited earlier this year, that would've been the highlight. KL is the most disappointing City I've ever visited.

It's been noticable the last few year that our shirts do appear more often in these slightly 'less official' markets offering 'genuine replica' shirts.

As with any City/Country, living and working there is more interesting than a fly-through visit. Its OK there really.

The recent replicas I have purchased probably come from the same sweat-shops that Adidas exploit.  Seem good quality and wash OK.

10 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

As with any City/Country, living and working there is more interesting than a fly-through visit. Its OK there really.

The recent replicas I have purchased probably come from the same sweat-shops that Adidas exploit.  Seem good quality and wash OK.

I've had some decent replica stuff over years that have outlasted the official stuff lol

I was just underwhelmed with the City. We'd just been to Singapore and Bangkok so perhaps it just didn't compare as favourably. The other 2 places we visited in Malaysia were nice though.