Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

Have you moved far from where you grew up?

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Your family from Nottingham? When did Notts County come into it?

My dad was born and raised in Nottingham. Notts County was the team he supported.

For some inexplicable reason, I'm carrying on the tradition, despite never having been to Nottingham :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Out of interest....How was the move from France,did it run smoothly..???

Yes and no (typical). We didn't get as much as we had anticipated for our last London house so we were a bit short of what we really needed to build our house, and thus to live the life. We also underestimated the cost of living, especially the local taxes. We managed though, as I could continue to work and earn a reasonable living, and we also started a B&B business, which was fun.

The logistics and legalities of the move were very easy. We lived in a small village, got to know the the mayor really well (he built our house, which helped) and he and his team were really helpful. Personally I loved France and the French, although I was less keen on the other ex-pats, many of whom didn't learn the language and didn't contribute anything to the community.

We moved back because of the stupidity that was Brexit, and although I enjoy living in Devon, I still miss France.

Bet you regret asking!

7 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

Yes and no (typical). We didn't get as much as we had anticipated for our last London house so we were a bit short of what we really needed to build our house, and thus to live the life. We also underestimated the cost of living, especially the local taxes. We managed though, as I could continue to work and earn a reasonable living, and we also started a B&B business, which was fun.

The logistics and legalities of the move were very easy. We lived in a small village, got to know the the mayor really well (he built our house, which helped) and he and his team were really helpful. Personally I loved France and the French, although I was less keen on the other ex-pats, many of whom didn't learn the language and didn't contribute anything to the community.

We moved back because of the stupidity that was Brexit, and although I enjoy living in Devon, I still miss France.

Bet you regret asking!

No I find it interesting how different ex-pats,move around & their approach towards trying to intigrate & be Part of the Local background...

If you lived 12 years in France,I Dont Think Brexit would have you seen being thrown out..Didnt you considering in French/UK Dual citizenship..!!

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

No I find it interesting how different ex-pats,move around & their approach towards trying to intigrate & be Part of the Local background...

If you lived 12 years in France,I Dont Think Brexit would have you seen being thrown out..Didnt you considering in French/UK Dual citizenship..!!

I could have lived there - I've got Irish citizenship through my father - but almost all of my income is in Sterling, so post-Brexit, the exchange rate really screwed things up.

Life moves on. I'm happy where I am.

Harborough bred (not born, though I was meant to be if I hadn't popped out early). Happy enough being back in the East Midlands again (Derby) after a few years both down south and up north, but I'd love to live closer to my roots again some day. Reckon that's unlikely given the way London commuters keep making it a pricier place to live.

On the other hand, getting off this island's becoming a more attractive option by the year. Keep dropping the hint that my missus needs to sort her Irish passport but not sure I'd qualify for one through marriage. :D

I've not moved far, I was born in Leicester, 19 years there, then moved to Nottingham for University and never left, currently into my 11th year (I had a year in London for my sins) 

It feels strange that it won't be long until I've lived in Nottingham for the same amount of time as I lived in Leicester, even the family home is rented out and has been for about 7 years now so when I come back to Leicester it's very much just train station, pub, stadium, pub, train station lol 

Nottingham is my home and as I say i'll be 40 when I can say 'oh i've lived here longer now!' so doesn't seem far off.

I'd like to spend a year or two somewhere in either Amsterdam/Copenhagen but that'll be down to commitments. My parents moved to Amsterdam for two years and loved it, and I visited regularly enough to fall for it too. 

If I'm honest, I always feel slightly ashamed of myself that I still live in Leicester and never 'got away'

I got away for a couple of years to Germany and tbh can't quite finger in hindsight why I came back - I had the time of my life there.

That said, I work (pre Covid) in London which I enjoy (ish), have a house I love, great kids and have holidays all the time. So, maybe it's a case of how i live rather where i live....