Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

Have you moved far from where you grew up?

Born in Rugby and grew up in Lutterworth. I’ve got mates in their 50’s who’ve lived in Lutterworth all their lives which I find endearing but also a bid strange that they’ve never known anything else.

I’ve lived in Leicester, Coventry and Hull but now settled in rural Buckinghamshire for the past 18 years.

Will retire and live by the seaside one day.

• Like 1

I've always lived fairly locally, but we're currently in the process of relocating to southern Spain. Due to complete on the new house next month which may now be delayed I guess due to the restrictions, so I may be local for a little while longer

• Like 1

Grew up in East Kent, but essentially left at 18, which was 40 years ago now.

Had short stints back there, "between jobs/travel", while parents were still there. But they moved to London when I was 23, so only brief visits to nephew and a mate since.

Oddly, my good mate in Kent is from Leicestershire, so we've swapped locations.

Have since lived in E. Anglia, London, SE, SW, NW, W. Mids & E. Mids (plus brief stints abroad).....only Yorkshire & Geordieland to complete the regional set.

Ended up in Leicester through ex-wife. Now 24 years in Midlands, last 19 in Oadby/Leicester.....but expect to bugger off within 2 years, once daughter old enough (unless she wants to come with me!).

With that wandering history and parents now gone, it feels as if I have no "home area". Some might find that a bit sad, but I find it quite liberating. I'm looking forward to leaving (though I'm not anti-Leicester).

Like Izzy, I fancy ending up by the sea. Have made a couple of visit to Weymouth and like it there. Might also consider somewhere like Margate.......or be even bolder and move to SW France, near the Spanish border.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've always lived fairly locally, but we're currently in the process of relocating to southern Spain. Due to complete on the new house next month which may now be delayed I guess due to the restrictions, so I may be local for a little while longer

That's interesting, Deb. Which area are you moving to and how easy are you finding the process (house buying, bureaucracy etc.)?

Will Brexit affect your residency rights or is that not a problem - or have you sneakily retained EU citizenship by some cunning ruse (like I have via my Irish Dad)?

I'm curious as I haven't ruled out moving to France or Spain myself.

South coast of England is more likely, to keep a bit closer to daughter (assuming she ends up staying in England in early adulthood) but keeping an open mind. Still needed here for 1-2 years yet, anyway....

Practically I couldn't stay close to my roots.  I was born and bred in Leicester but left to go to college in London when I was 18 and have never lived in Leicester since.  After leaving college I moved to wherever I could get jobs to further my career.  I currently live in Sussex and am unlikely to move again since I'm retired and my children work locally.

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We're moving to a small town called Albox in Almeria. So far the process has been straightforward, we viewed the house in person a couple of weeks ago and then made the offer which was accepted over the phone. Usual protocol is to visit the solicitor, or Abogado, in person to give POA so they can act on our behalf regarding the paperwork but as we had since flown home and were quarantining we have been able to arrange this remotely which has been really helpful. I'm watching the POA in transit with DHL as we speak!

If we manage to complete the sale this year we should both be ok regarding Brexit as you can still apply for residency until June 2021, but yes I have a cunning ruse as I will be applying for an Irish passport as I am also an Irish citizen albeit technically, also via my Dad, and we got married last month (my husband and I, not my Dad and I) so he is eligible for residency as my spouse. 

Due to Covid we've found ourselves in the position of being able to move earlier than we had anticipated. I am working from home which would have been unthinkable pre Covid, and as my husband's redundancy has come since has turned 50 this year, he is able to take early retirement and access his pension now. We currently rent, and in the UK don't really have much hope of getting on the property ladder, nor do we really want to. Spain offers us better weather, a better lifestyle, our money will go further, and the property is so much cheaper. 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with a pool and a garage for just under £100k was a no brainer for us.

Definitely worth looking into imo, especially with the (usual) availability of cheap flights, and the fact that the south coast of England's property prices are eye watering. 

Sounds good - and the price differential is astonishing. Looking at Rightmove, £100k currently only gets you a 2-bed flat in Weymouth or Margate (and the cheaper end of that market, too), though prices might fall in 2021.

I remember reading that Almeria is about the hottest part of Spain, so you might need that pool!

Hopefully your move will go through in the next couple of months, but if you end up needing that Irish passport, I'd allow plenty of time. Admittedly, it was 1-2 years ago that I applied, so they might not be so busy now (or might be busier!), but it took several months to get my Irish passport and even longer (8 months?) to get one for my daughter. I had automatic dual citizenship as my Dad was born in Ireland but it was a 2-stage process for my daughter (apply for citizenship, then passport).

Anyway, good luck with your move. A decision for 1-2 years time for me, as I reckon I'll wait until daughter finishes Sixth Form.

• Thanks 1

Born in Nuneaton, lived just outside Market Bosworth for 18 years and then moved to Leeds where I’ve been ever since. Moving to what is technically Bradford early next year so I’ll be telling people I’m from “near Leeds” instead when that happens. 

• Haha 2

Born & bred in Leicester..ended up in Rhein-Hessische-Schweiz Wine village Woellstein...

In between, a few towns,cities in various far flung lost exciting fields, & some quite nice exhuberent cities....

I suppose I have pinged Off a few trees & City boundaries...but enjoyed most,none that I have hated.....

• Like 1