Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

Have you moved far from where you grew up?

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

Interesting post. One of the reasons that I supported City was seeking a sense of belonging. Being adopted and not knowing my biological parents (which I have since traced) meant although I had a good upbringing, that I felt detached - a liminality. I was born in London, and have spent much of my life there living centrally and in Greater London, but am half Irish half Welsh. My adoptive Dad was an academic between Imperial and Leicester so I was raised in both. We used to rent our house out through the university when he worked abroad so I went to school in Toronto, Auckland and Singapore as well as Leicester and London. I feel that my 'home' is the latter but as a kid LCFC was my team and something to identify with (although when in London I used to watch QPR because they were similarly crap and like City had a strong sense of loyalty, locality and community amongst club and support). Spent years playing in bands on the road, so the prospect of settling down terrified me until a family changed my values and outlook. I've also lived in Bedford, and California - but have been mainly in London over the last decade. Don't particularly like Leicester, but aside from the club, I feel some affinity with and affection for the city. 

I have found that wherever life has taken me, it's important to appreciate what that town, region or country can offer and in the Western World, never to take what we have for granted - particularly in terms of our individual liberty and freedom of speech - lockdown or no lockdown. 

I can relate to this in a slightly different way. I have unfortunately lost all my family now, so don’t have a ‘home’ to return to as such. For me going back to matches feels like a safe place to go to, and an opportunity to return to my roots. I have always lived in the Midlands and think I would find it hard to move away.

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Oh dear!

It's never dull in Hull.

Absolute shit hole but cheap as chips to live there and the people were good as gold (and mostly related to each other)

The only good thing was you could easily drive to the beach at Bridlington for a day out.

• Haha 1

Born Leicester 1955. Married a girl from Bedworth (I know, but she's actually an exception) and we decided to settle in Hinckley. Not keen on the place, if I'm honest. Just some kind of hub off the A5 with increasingly growing distribution centres. It has no real history or character. Just bland but acceptable, like a pork chop with mash. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Born Leicester 1955. Married a girl from Bedworth (I know, but she's actually an exception) and we decided to settle in Hinckley. Not keen on the place, if I'm honest. Just some kind of hub off the A5 with increasingly growing distribution centres. It has no real history or character. Just bland but acceptable, like a pork chop with mash. 

Nice to hear from hinckley tourist board, you could also add, it's too near to the inbred banjo players of Coventry. 

Or, at least its not Coalville. 

5 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've always lived fairly locally, but we're currently in the process of relocating to southern Spain. Due to complete on the new house next month which may now be delayed I guess due to the restrictions, so I may be local for a little while longer

That's really interesting as we're doing exactly the same thing. Just waiting for our property sale to go through here and we're gone. Not an ideal time with all that's going on but I think weirdly it's focused our minds that it's 100 % what we want to do. 

. .

• Like 2

Born in Hertford (18 months only)

Brought up in Stoneygate/ Clarendon Park - Loved Avenue Rd Junior school 

A levels in Loughborough by a weird twist of fate

London

France

Jersey

Yorkshire Dales

back to Leicestershire 

Going back to Stoneygate soon…. Sale and purchase agreed - full circle for me 

I never thought I’d end up in Leicester, not that I didn’t like it…. I just assumed I’d live elsewhere but circumstances dictated that was my route and I have few regrets

My boss wants me to move out to Atlanta for a bit - I have zero interest…. I like aspects of America and I mainly circulate with interesting Americans, but, wouldn’t consider making it a home - just not for me…. 

Would love to end up in rural France or Norfolk/ Suffolk coast

Edited by Wolfox

Born and raised in Leicester around Tudor Road way and recently moved to Thringstone near Whitwick/Coalville with my girlfriend who is originally from Shepshed. It's unbelievable how different it is despite being in the same county. I love it. 

I had my fix of living 'elsewhere' from travelling when I went Australia for a few months as I even stayed in Leicester for uni (didn't want to give up the matchdays) 

Loughborough born and bred. Have lived in Widnes (sort of) for a while and then met current wife and lived in Leicester (off Glenfield Road and then off Narborough Road) for several years. Gone posh now and moved to Groby around 7 years ago.

will be in Groby I would hope at least until little one has finished schooling in 11 years time. Possibly one move after that, retirement type move . . . 

• Like 1

Lived in  a few places over the years after growing up in Leicester.

Lived in London for around 6 years in my late 20s. Later Edinburgh, Bracknell, Cheltenham, Reading and Newcastle as well.

Used to work in Gothenbrg in Sweden quite a bit for an old job and got offered a full-time role there at one point, but this is when my kids were school age and it wasn't feasible to move my whole family there at the time and the Swedish points-based housing system is almost universally hated by Swedes for good reason.

Lived in Portsmouth for about a decade now though.

Love Leicester and Edinburgh and Newcastle were great cities. Bracknell and Reading were nice areas and London is great when you're young, but definitely wouldn't do it now.

But I wouldn't swap the south coast for any other part of the UK these days. I really enjoy it here. Definitely would consider retiring in a hotter European country though if that's still feasible after Brexit.

Like Izzy said earlier. It's quite endearing when people live their whole life in one area, but I cannot imagine it myself. Always found different opportunities and life takes so many twists and turns over the years and, apart from the stress of the actual move, I always found it fulfilling to start again and try somewhere new now and again throughout my life.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

Was Born in Leicester but when I was a baby we moved to Wales as my dad was in the RAF. He was based at RAF Brawdy in Pembrokeshire. My mum ended up leaving my dad and took us back to to Leicester. We got a house on Loughborough road. when I was 7 we then moved to Victoria Park  and  grew up playing on Victoria park most weekends.   loved the Clarendon park area. Moved out to Rutland for a few years ( Market Overton). met my wife on a visit to states and ended up moving there ten years ago. we’ve got quite a bit of land, animals, chickens.. wake up every morning to the sounds of a Rooster and I must admit I feel like I have a better quality of life here than anywhere else.  Nearest small town is about 6 miles away. Everything is so much cheaper over here. At the moment we are paying $1.77 for a gallon of petrol for starters.

I was born and lived in Leicester until the late 90's when I moved to Nevada. I used to live on Ivy Road before I moved but prior to that I lived in the Rushey Mead/Barkby Road area for the majority of my existence there. I miss the fish n chips.

Edited by Wizerud

I ended up buying my parents house after my mum died and dad wanted a smaller place. So I'm literally back where I started - although as me and the wife are now separating, the house is up for sale!

But I won't move far at least for the time being - maybe when the kids have finished school I'd consider moving away. I'd love to move up the The Lake District one day

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I ended up buying my parents house after my mum died and dad wanted a smaller place. So I'm literally back where I started - although as me and the wife are now separating, the house is up for sale!

But I won't move far at least for the time being - maybe when the kids have finished school I'd consider moving away. I'd love to move up the The Lake District one day

Sorry to hear that mate, must be quite sad to lose that house after all of that. The wife not so much.

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sorry to hear that mate, must be quite sad to lose that house after all of that. The wife not so much.

haha! Yeah it will work out ok I think mate. I've gone past the initial shock/anger phase and am just dealing with the practicalities of separation - selling the house and finances etc, as well as working out how to share custody of the kids 

It's a shame the house has to go, but I'm trying to fairly dispassionate about it. It's just a house and I can't afford it on my own to buy her out so it has to go. We got a good price for it (£15K over the asking price) so not too bad.

• Like 1