Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

Have you moved far from where you grew up?

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

haha! Yeah it will work out ok I think mate. I've gone past the initial shock/anger phase and am just dealing with the practicalities of separation - selling the house and finances etc, as well as working out how to share custody of the kids 

It's a shame the house has to go, but I'm trying to fairly dispassionate about it. It's just a house and I can't afford it on my own to buy her out so it has to go. We got a good price for it (£15K over the asking price) so not too bad.

That’s good then, will be a sad day if and when my family sell the house I grew up in.

Just down the A10 - born and grew up in King's Lynn but now living in London. In between I lived for 10 years in Italy (Palermo and Trento) and Bulgaria (Sofia and Pirdop), with a couple of months in Istanbul. 

Staying in London for now but if online work becomes the new normal I think I'll try and move back to Norfolk.

17 hours ago, worthosoriginals said:

Nice to hear from hinckley tourist board, you could also add, it's too near to the inbred banjo players of Coventry. 

Or, at least its not Coalville. 

Oh yes, Coalville, the world's lycra testing centre.

• Haha 1

Grew up near Mahkedahbra.

My parents have always lived in the same house and I consider it my "home". Most of my extended family live within a two-mile radius. I love going back there.

Went to school in Northamptonshire so split my time between Harborough, Leicester and Northampton. All of my best mates to this are Northamptonians, unfortunately. It's a dump.

Moved to London after university to chase the dream. A decade constantly poor. Moving to Hemel Hempstead in a fortnight as I'm no longer commuting to the office. Bigger pad, closer to home, and hopefully I might be able to afford to eat.

Edited by RoboFox

Living in my childhood home, bought it off my dad as we were looking to move at the same time as my dad just before the financial crash. 

My parents came from opposite ends of the county, they met at filbert street in the 60’s. They married and moved to a village in north Leicestershire. Some years back my dad started tracing our family tree and it turns out that our line stated in the next village to me, about 50 yards from my kids school, 3/4 hundred years earlier. The house is still there, I’m tempted to go and lay claim to it. lol

So no, I’ve not travelled far. 

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I ended up buying my parents house after my mum died and dad wanted a smaller place. So I'm literally back where I started - although as me and the wife are now separating, the house is up for sale!

But I won't move far at least for the time being - maybe when the kids have finished school I'd consider moving away. I'd love to move up the The Lake District one day

Hope it all works out stripey, take care mate.

• Like 1

Didn't really have much choice given the whole family moved abroad for my Dad's job when I was a teenager.  Now I'm back in England but a different part of the country, I don't really have anything attaching me to where I grew up so it would only be a quirk of circumstance if I ever end up living there.

Born in Oadby . Lived in Knighton, Kibworth, back to Oadby, Back to Knighton, Fosse road and finally Enderby. Iv'e got two years until the youngest finishes school and me and the mrs are planning a move out of Leicester, either Portugal or the south coast. 

• Like 1

On 31/10/2020 at 17:01, Manini said:

Born in Nuneaton, lived just outside Market Bosworth for 18 years and then moved to Leeds where I’ve been ever since. Moving to what is technically Bradford early next year so I’ll be telling people I’m from “near Leeds” instead when that happens. 

I have a mate who lives in Apperley Bridge and funnily enough he says it's "just outside Leeds" too.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Same city my entire life. For years I lived a stone's throw from the hospital I was born in. Now I'm on the other side of the city at least lol

So it was you who kept lobbing stones through my Hospital window.....!!

By the way which hospital..??

• Haha 1

I was born in Loughborough, which I left when I was 21 and never went back. I spent nearly 40 years in big London, then lived in southern France for 12 years before moving to Devon. Still a City fan, and still hoping to see us win the FA Cup, with a crowd that will include me.

1 minute ago, LanguedocFox said:

I was born in Loughborough, which I left when I was 21 and never went back. I spent nearly 40 years in big London, then lived in southern France for 12 years before moving to Devon. Still a City fan, and still hoping to see us win the FA Cup, with a crowd that will include me.

Out of interest....How was the move from France,did it run smoothly..???