Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Leicester City Nemesis to the Big Bully Boys of Europe

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

It would be nice if for a change the focus wasn't on investing in the elite and people at the top of the game were having discussions about how to best support grassroots football.

The fact that there so happy to saturate all the money at the top of the game shows their stupidity, do they not realise where the next generation of footballers will come from? 

From their Academies they already try to suck up all the best players and soon they'll be the only ones that can afford them (probably an exaggeration the last bit).

51 minutes ago, davieG said:

Surely it depends on what you want that structure to achieve. Ours is not diluted it's got a country wide spread covering big cities and small towns because in most cases the aim is to provide a sport that the local community can feel an affinity with.

The only thing wrong with our structure is that it's been hi-jacked by financial people looking to make quick money from a well established, interesting and respecting sporting set up

It's almost akin to business asset stripping with the smaller clubs being the assets.

Can't disagree with any of that ("deeply flawed" was a bit far, but I was on a roll...), but this does all comes down to money. It is finances and trying to get into and stay in the Premier League that have sent clubs to the wall in this country and it is now the (current) big 6 clubs that are trying to match the Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern/Juves of this world that are driving the superleague talks.

I think the model of a pyramid structure rooted in every community then expecting teams to compete with the European giants is incompatible (without other countries being able to achieve the same), which comes back to the comment of what structure you want to achieve.

Personally, I would take a more even playing field in this country with the trade-off that English clubs aren't regularly getting to the final stages of European competitions, but the best players and the ratings would gravitate away, so I think we have to be resigned to the domination by big clubs. But as long as we don't go full Europe superleague, we are just about managing the best of both worlds as long as there is still a place for the likes of Leicester to make things interesting, so our club may well be the best argument against the franchise model. Up the City!

2 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

I'd love to see a breakaway league backfire spectacularly on all the clubs involved. 

One thing that might cause it to backfire is that the money might not actually be there -- so many big TV contracts across the world have been nullified because networks just can't pay what they agree. Even in the US, the big leagues are bracing themselves for a cut in revenue during the next round of contracts. I'd love to see these guys agree to some big deal, and then just not get paid.

• Like 1

Why do people let themselves get taken in by this every few weeks when it makes news again? The governing bodies have already shat on it, matchgoing fans wouldn’t back it and the vast majority of English clubs would be against it. 

Bloody pyramids..didn t do much for the egyptians alive or in the After life, except satisfy a few grave-robbers ,but

and stolen-aritifact collectors,

Not forgetting Indiana- Jones...

Americans get hold of something, they Ruin it by trying to change the Grass-roots,Soul  & the whole Base it was born upon..

.Unless ist their own American-football holy-grail...

Thank-god, we attracted a Thai-family-group, who Wanted to build around, and in the Soul & spirit of the game..

Edited by fuchsntf

21 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Can't disagree with any of that ("deeply flawed" was a bit far, but I was on a roll...), but this does all comes down to money. It is finances and trying to get into and stay in the Premier League that have sent clubs to the wall in this country and it is now the (current) big 6 clubs that are trying to match the Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern/Juves of this world that are driving the superleague talks.

I think the model of a pyramid structure rooted in every community then expecting teams to compete with the European giants is incompatible (without other countries being able to achieve the same), which comes back to the comment of what structure you want to achieve.

Personally, I would take a more even playing field in this country with the trade-off that English clubs aren't regularly getting to the final stages of European competitions, but the best players and the ratings would gravitate away, so I think we have to be resigned to the domination by big clubs. But as long as we don't go full Europe superleague, we are just about managing the best of both worlds as long as there is still a place for the likes of Leicester to make things interesting, so our club may well be the best argument against the franchise model. Up the City!

The Champions League is the root of most of the problems and that's down to UEFA. If they weren't so scared of this notion of a Super League they should have limited the prize money, which would then have deprived all this rich clubs equally, they still could. That money could then be used to level the playing field across each European Football Federation. This would then still allow our clubs to compete  with the other European Giants.

It seems every time there is any discussion on the future of football and what can be done to 'save' it these Rich clubs end up with and even bigger slice of the money cake. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

@Trav Le Bleu does have a point, though. The big clubs now haven't always been dominant. It's not right that they should be able to cement their position at the top. Royal Engineers, Preston North End and Notts County didn't get to do that, and rightly so.

Exactly the point I was making. Rather than being facetious, I was using hyperbole.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

@Trav Le Bleu does have a point, though. The big clubs now haven't always been dominant. It's not right that they should be able to cement their position at the top. Royal Engineers, Preston North End and Notts County didn't get to do that, and rightly so.

35 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

You've forgotten the Old Etonians

16 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

It's the attitude of the Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli that gets me. He'd seriously deny Atalanta a Champions League place because other clubs like Roma had contributed more to Italy's UEFA ranking in the past.

Yet, clearly, Atalanta would've had the better team, so why shouldn't they be given the chance to carry that Italian baton in Europe? As it happens, Atalanta have had a decent spell in the Champions League. I can't remember the last time Roma did as well as Atalanta did.

And look at us, making it to the quarter final stage despite at one point looking like we were in a relegation battle.

Whilst I fully agree with you, I would like to point out that Roma got as far as Atalanta did last season in 2018, when they beat Barca 3-0 to reach the semifinals. That was very recently. Just making sure Roma gets the credit they deserve, because they're a good team.

7 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Whilst I fully agree with you, I would like to point out that Roma got as far as Atalanta did last season in 2018, when they beat Barca 3-0 to reach the semifinals. That was very recently. Just making sure Roma gets the credit they deserve, because they're a good team.

Yeah fair enough :thumbup:

I honestly couldn't remember the last time they had a big Champions League game. That Barca game felt like a few years further back than that but then the passage of time feels rather different at the moment!

No doubt they're still a good team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Looks like a decent article in the Telegraph if anyone has a subscription. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/01/27/leicester-turned-premier-leagues-big-six-big-seven/

Posted that in its own thread earlier but got a FT version of a slap on the wrist by it being deleted minutes later...

Terrific article as ever by Percy; we're making huge strides that we can all be proud of. 

Better yet, the comments in reply to his tweet from fans of other clubs are fascinating and quite telling - Forest fans complaining about us going into administration almost 20 years ago, others misunderstanding what actually happened with FFP, and Everton fans wondering why we’re considered a better club with a brighter future and not them. 

All of which is right up my street - nourishment for the soul.