Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

TV Quiz Shows

30 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I’m not saying what you’re doing is wrong, more that the split multiplication is a great “next step” from going “100 x 7 = 700... what next?”

Spotting the patterns for multiples of 6,8,9 and 12 is relatively simple, but I do think the division is where that gets tricky. ie You work out that 477 is divisible by 9, which is great, but you still have to work out what to multiply by that 9 to get it. To many humble Countdown-playing contestants, that’s half their time gone. It’s relatively advanced stuff IMO, at least compared to the split multiplication - plus, the split multiplication often gives you scope to get close and then work the puzzle from there, whereas picking factors takes all the more brainpower when you’re having to do it for numbers that are close as well as the target itself. I know there are ways of doing it, but doing it quickly and under pressure I think takes either flair or a heck of a lot of practice.

It’s why, if you’re a whizz at the numbers and really want to win, you pick 6 small. For many opponents, their minds go blank as soon as no 10 appears.

But most contestants that I’ve seen on the show go on there because it’s a fun little game and they like words, rather than because they aspire to being the best of the best.

I take your point about identifying the other divisor in a number such as 477. However, the last digit of 477 tells you that it must end in 3, and the number must be greater than 47, so 53 is quickly spottable. As I said, it's about knowing the tricks. (The trick for spotting 7 as a divisor is to double the last digit and subtract it from the rest of the number divided by ten. If the answer is divisible by 7, then so was the original number.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

I take your point about identifying the other divisor in a number such as 477. However, the last digit of 477 tells you that it must end in 3, and the number must be greater than 47, so 53 is quickly spottable. As I said, it's about knowing the tricks. (The trick for spotting 7 as a divisor is to double the last digit and subtract it from the rest of the number divided by ten. If the answer is divisible by 7, then so was the original number.)

Just been trying this out for myself. I never knew one for 7, beyond the longer route of a long division-type approach. Fascinating!

• Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 19:42, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Enjoy Colin Murray on countdown, he's a bit too keen sometimes though, think Anne Robinson will be abysmal. 

The things she had said to some people are the Weakest Link when it was featured, there'd probably be numerous Ofcom complaints in today's world.

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, isaidno said:

What's happened to Warwick Davis on Tenable ? Put it on yesterday and Sally Lindsey was presenting.  It was terrible, she was just starting at the auto cue :(

Warwick wasn't brilliant, but she is awful, which is a shame as it's a decent show.

8 minutes ago, isaidno said:

What's happened to Warwick Davis on Tenable ? Put it on yesterday and Sally Lindsey was presenting.  It was terrible, she was just starting at the auto cue :(

He's filming a Willow TV series. He'll be back next series.

On 20/04/2021 at 18:06, isaidno said:

On 20/04/2021 at 18:15, Webbo said:

He's filming a Willow TV series. He'll be back next series.

I reckon he was just shoved under the desk and forced to manually do the sound effects for the programme. Budget cuts and all that. 

Just now on Tenable they've had a round, 'Ten 5 letter words ending ...ump".

The guy answered "triumph" (as only his third answer).

It was overruled, but then they did the whole, "let's see if triumph was correct" thing and started off down the list. :rolleyes:

Can't they just let it go when it's such an obviously wrong answer?

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Wasn’t as bad as I thought. Some of the knobs on Twitter are a bit brutal though.

Ahh that was you!! 

You did great, especially in the cash builder. 

'The Leicester Lion' did good  :)

Edited by StanSP

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Ahh that was you!! 

You did great, especially in the cash builder. 

'The Leicester Lion' did good  :)

Cheers. Annoyingly when I got back to the station on the day I looked on Facebook and the first thing that came up was the same chaser making a pigs ear and losing to a team getting 15. Luck of the draw I guess.

1 hour ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Quality-I’ll check it out. How was the recording experience?

It was a bit odd as we were in the middle of lockdown. I think sterile is probably the right word. Overall it was a good experience though and I’d recommend going for it if you’re thinking about it. The being called a nonce on Twitter stuff is a bit of a downer though.

1 hour ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

It was a bit odd as we were in the middle of lockdown. I think sterile is probably the right word. Overall it was a good experience though and I’d recommend going for it if you’re thinking about it. The being called a nonce on Twitter stuff is a bit of a downer though.

You did very well mate - I’m sure the negative ones will sting more but there are lots of positive tweets too :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Foxestalk was in a question in Beat the Chasers just now!

Which football team would the website Foxestalk be associated with?

Last person up if anyone wants to check it out. The Vixon answered it straight away, but of course she would know.

Edited by stu