Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

TV Quiz Shows

On 11/03/2021 at 10:46, Oxfordfox83 said:

I was on Only Connect.

A completely brilliant experience from start to finish, I loved almost every moment. Still watch it and think it’s great-it suits my brain because if you almost know something you can still get the answer, it’s not just knowing a particular fact or other...

I've never understood why the sequences round allows for buzzing in after the first clue. How can anyone identify any sequence at that point? Imo, the easiest round is the mssng vwls rnd.

• Like 3

On 11/03/2021 at 11:28, Oxfordfox83 said:

We filmed it in spring 2016, broadcast 2016/17. We actually went quite deep, so there were 7 episodes in the normal series and 1 special. 

Victoria was great, she is seriously bright (it’s not an act). Shorter than you expect, and at that moment had a very new baby, so a bit less sociable than we were told she normally is. But really lovely, and a total pro.

I’m going to have to look up my intros! We had a filthy outro where she talked about getting over excited and covered in quizm, which amazingly made it through the censors...

I’ve auditioned three times for this and been on the “reserve team” twice. Always looks great fun and a few people I know that have been on said it was the best quiz show experience they’ve had.

2 hours ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

I wasn’t far off getting more than the other three put together 🤣

That would be my nightmare.

That or having someone in my team who knew nothing, guessed their way to the final, but where supremely confident in their incorrect answers and were fast on the buzzer :D

5 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

That would be my nightmare.

That or having someone in my team who knew nothing, guessed their way to the final, but where supremely confident in their incorrect answers and were fast on the buzzer :D

I'd rather be on my own in the final.

No buzzing in and waiting for others or idiots passing when you know it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

I’ve auditioned three times for this and been on the “reserve team” twice. Always looks great fun and a few people I know that have been on said it was the best quiz show experience they’ve had.

That’s what I heard. It’s the only thing I’ve been on, but most others were quiz show hustlers...

2 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

That’s what I heard. It’s the only thing I’ve been on, but most others were quiz show hustlers...

Were you on the series won by the string section? I played a quiz last night on zoom and there was a guy in it that said he’d been on 17 shows. Online Quiz League is good fun, there’s even a Leicester quiz league when the world goes back to normal.

13 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

The only one I've consistently watched for years - Eggheads.  I love it when I get a question right that they get wrong (happens about once every five years).

eggheads.jpg.baf4b85712ab4fc705afb5ff005955e5.jpg

They've announced today that eggheads is moving to Channel 5.

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'd rather be on my own in the final.

No buzzing in and waiting for others or idiots passing when you know it.

I've thought this before, the Chaser gets the advantage because they don't have to buzz and wait to be told they can answer. If you're on your own in the final you have an advantage surely as you don't have to wait?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've thought this before, the Chaser gets the advantage because they don't have to buzz and wait to be told they can answer. If you're on your own in the final you have an advantage surely as you don't have to wait?

Definitely, there were certainly several times in my episode where the chaser answered half way through the question.

2 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Definitely, there were certainly several times in my episode where the chaser answered half way through the question.

I've seen a couple of times when they've won on their own for that very reason.

Also when all 4 are in, they often get in a mess as they all wait for each other if none of them know the answers rather than passing so they end up playing so slowly.

9 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I've seen a couple of times when they've won on their own for that very reason.

Also when all 4 are in, they often get in a mess as they all wait for each other if none of them know the answers rather than passing so they end up playing so slowly.

I guess it's offset by the extra step for each person in the final and useful to have a few people for pushbacks. 

Still not a level playing field in my eyes.

I'm pretty good at general knowledge, people keep telling me to apply, but I never really bother.

Once missed a phone call to appear on Million Pound Drop about 10 years ago lol That was done at short notice and they wanted you in the studio the next day.

I'd like to go on Millionaire.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

I guess it's offset by the extra step for each person in the final and useful to have a few people for pushbacks. 

Still not a level playing field in my eyes.

I'm pretty good at general knowledge, people keep telling me to apply, but I never really bother.

Once missed a phone call to appear on Million Pound Drop about 10 years ago lol That was done at short notice and they wanted you in the studio the next day.

I'd like to go on Millionaire.

Millionaire is the best of the lot from a reward for being a decent quizzer point of view. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, String fellow said:

I've never understood why the sequences round allows for buzzing in after the first clue. How can anyone identify any sequence at that point? Imo, the easiest round is the mssng vwls rnd.

Agree, but I would say getting a sequence from the first clue is up there with getting a 9 letter word on countdown though. 

It also brings me great joy that Only Connect and University Challenge usually trend on Twitter whenever they're on. That and TOTP 1990 are the only times I seem to be 'en trend' with the Twitter masses. 

1 minute ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Competitive quizzing is a massive thing in the U.K. and most of them go on TV shows. I play in the online quiz league and there’s four chasers and some of the eggheads play in it.

Never knew that. As a matter of interest, what's the most challenging/obscure/difficult question you've answered, if you can remember?

5 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Millionaire is the best of the lot from a reward for being a decent quizzer point of view. 

Definitely. 

The Chase and Beat the Chaser can be pretty lucrative though.

I like Pointless, but it really isn't worth the effort for a grand. Not bad for a couple of hours quizzing I guess!

Are you allowed to say who your chaser was?

Was Bradley Walsh as good as you expected him to be?

I imagine Covid changed the whole experience though and made it more difficult to get to know/spend time with them.

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Never knew that. As a matter of interest, what's the most challenging/obscure/difficult question you've answered, if you can remember?

I don’t really know I play in that many at the minute I lose track. I’m not brilliant but I enjoy doing them. I’m not great at things like classical music and art so I’m always pleased if I get something like that. 

7 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Competitive quizzing is a massive thing in the U.K. and most of them go on TV shows. I play in the online quiz league and there’s four chasers and some of the eggheads play in it.

Yeah, you do tend to see a lot of them on multiple shows.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Definitely. 

The Chase and Beat the Chaser can be pretty lucrative though.

I like Pointless, but it really isn't worth the effort for a grand. Not bad for a couple of hours quizzing I guess!

Are you allowed to say who your chaser was?

Was Bradley Walsh as good as you expected him to be?

I imagine Covid changed the whole experience though and made it more difficult to get to know/spend time with them.

I’m not allowed to say who the chaser was but Brad was good fun. Seems a nice bloke and genuinely seemed interested in the four of us. They sort of implied if it wasn’t for Covid we would’ve met the chaser properly after the filming had finished, they were very complimentary to us though. It was a great experience.

• Like 2