Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Did Rodgers make the right call?

Did Rodgers make the right call?  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Should he have dealt with the players so publicly?

• Yes - they're idiots and they deserve it.
    • No - fine them and don't bring unnecessary scrutiny upon the club.

4 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t see why he didn’t just fine them a weeks wages, deal with it internally and tell them to make sure they played well yesterday as a bit of a warning and then drop them if they didn’t. 

I agree they shouldn’t have done what they done but is missing a game a punishment for the players or is it a punishment for their teammates and the fans? I think it’s the latter tbh. 

.. it is a tough situation for the manager!!!

Without trying to overblow this, we had a similar situation with the Thailand sex scandal and we lost a manager at the end of the season. If our owners choose to view this as a stain on the club and their values and Rodgers as it seems has accepted a one match ban, "dealing with this internally" it could end up being resolved at the end of the season with the players becoming transfer listed.

So long as the owners accept that the one match ban and no doubt two week fine is the end of the matter, we could be revisiting another pivotal time in our history.

Just now, The_77 said:

I’m not voting because there’s no option to burn the players at the stake. 

Now that I think about it, Rodgers could punish the players by forcing them to do an interview with Leicester Fan TV. 

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

People suggesting the club shouldn't have remove the players from the game is crazy.

You can't just have integrity when it suit you, it can't be forgotten just because it puts you at a disadvantage. 

The players gave the manager and the club no choice, short term pain long term gain.

Why?

Does having moral principles have to extend to offering a possible Champions League spot to opponents?

I can only guess there is a unwritten (or written) rule in football that missing games. although punishing the club and supporters is seen as the correct punishment.

Seems very shortsighted, amateurish and dated to me.

A significant + physical; contribution to society and heavy fine seems better option, time will tell.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Why?

Does having moral principles have to extend to offering a possible Champions League spot to opponents?

I can only guess there is a unwritten (or written) rule in football that missing games. although punishing the club and supporters is seen as the correct punishment.

A significant + physical; contribution to society and heavy fine seems better option, time will tell.

Nonsense, its good behaviour you need to be encouraging not charity (Which is clearly worthwhile, but the outlay is of little import to any PL player) 

5 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Why?

Only having principles when it's convenient is everything that's wrong with the world today.

What Rodgers has done, which a lot of fans probably aren't realising, is that he's taught these lads a valuable life lesson. The guilt they would feel from letting everyone involved with the club down will be massive. That is huge punishment. It's the kind of life lesson that changes a person's out look on life. It's up to them whether they learn from it, but I think it's superb from Rodgers. All they will have been thinking about all weekend is the consequences of their actions.

For me, this beats community serive, fines or charity donations. They'd have learned nothing from that at all. This is letting 3 young men feel the full weight of their actions and then having to look the people they have let down in the eye and apologise. 

I hope all 3 come out the other side better people for it.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Why?

In years gone by, a financial punishment would have been enough.  But it has no impact in the modern age and is totally redundant. Outdated modes of punishment are probably the only ones you've got to impact bunch of pampered millionaires. 

As I said earlier, we'd have had to plan to be without them all week. So makes sense to just leave them out as punishment when they certainly wouldn't have started anyway. 

If this was a small breach then I'd understand your point of view. But not if they have actively ignored the managers text message to pack it up. That's pretty horrific and needed a proper punishment. 

4 hours ago, Royston. said:

The silly fuchers made the decision for him.

Can imagine choudhury not giving a sh1t as he probably wouldn't have made the match day squad anyway.

Maddison and Perez I have no words:blink:

I do not think Maddison would have made much difference by the way we leaked 3 goals from just 3 attempts

5 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Why?

I agree. Punishing the team regardless of who the player(s) are is not the call in my view. Find an alternative punishment for those players which affects them individually not one which may play a role in affecting the team as a whole. My opinion

8 hours ago, filbertway said:

Only having principles when it's convenient is everything that's wrong with the world today.

What Rodgers has done, which a lot of fans probably aren't realising, is that he's taught these lads a valuable life lesson. The guilt they would feel from letting everyone involved with the club down will be massive. That is huge punishment. It's the kind of life lesson that changes a person's out look on life. It's up to them whether they learn from it, but I think it's superb from Rodgers. All they will have been thinking about all weekend is the consequences of their actions.

For me, this beats community serive, fines or charity donations. They'd have learned nothing from that at all. This is letting 3 young men feel the full weight of their actions and then having to look the people they have let down in the eye and apologise. 

I hope all 3 come out the other side better people for it.

.....no way this is going to teach them any lessons!!!

We had the ladies with some U23s having a party and being chastised for it, we have had other incidents of people violating Covid laws and do you believe they are not aware of the consequences of their actions. Just accept their actions were self serving and any talk of lessons learned is just a charade.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....no way this is going to teach them any lessons!!!

We had the ladies with some U23s having a party and being chastised for it, we have had other incidents of people violating Covid laws and do you believe they are not aware of the consequences of their actions. Just accept their actions were self serving and any talk of lessons learned is just a charade.

As I said, some fans dont understand :D

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

As I said, some fans dont understand :D

...your premise that the players would be wracked with guilt in view of their indiscretion is at best naïve!!!

The thought process would be, "what can they do to me" :

Maddison - Too valuable to cut loose, not going to get the value out of selling me, little they can do, not a problem.

Hamza - Not getting any real game time, finding a new club next season, win win situation.

Perez - Not too bothered as Maddison is first choice in my best position, they will be looking for cover as well, can't go back to playing wide, agent working on finding a new club.

Morgan - Contract is up in a few months, looking to do something different, see what is out there.

Barnes - Skipper is going and so is Madders, can't see a problem here.

Rodgers like the club has gone through the motions, there is little they can do in this scenario.