Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Did Rodgers make the right call?

Did Rodgers make the right call?  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Should he have dealt with the players so publicly?

• Yes - they're idiots and they deserve it.
    • No - fine them and don't bring unnecessary scrutiny upon the club.

Quite obviously. There is no ideal way to punish them because either the club loses out competitively or you give them a punishment that is barely punishment(tbh I don’t really think missing a game is much punishment when you can just **** off down the golf course instead) but there has to be a standard set and expectations clearly laid out so even people as dense as this lot can get it into their heads.

As Brendan said winners don’t act like that in the first place and winners set standards. The players are fortunate that the team is a bunch of soft touches cos I guarantee players like Neville and Keane wouldn’t have stood for players putting themselves above the team like this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rodgers is not to blame here. If he handles it well, and is seen to do so, it will increase his chances of moving to a bigger club when the opportunity arises.

The players are ill-disciplined, disrespectful fools. Their stupidity needed to be put in the public spotlight.

Whether it hampers us competitively for the rest of the season or not they should miss the rest of the season. Maddison will sure grow up when his child like behaviour costs him any chance of going to the Euros having played no football. The only way to punish players is to take playing time away. As for Choudhury and Perez, are we really worse off without them?

The vote is misleading.

Yes, Rogers was right to 'punish' them publicly as there is no such thing as behind closed doors now. 

What is the real question, is given them a day off to play golf and therefore contribute to subjecting the depressed and anxious lockdown supporters to a lack luster 63 minutes when we eventually woke up, albeit too little, too late the right punishment?  

The club have punished themselves, fans have been punished, players could miss out on the CL bonuses and esteem, we will not attract CL players....the list goes on.

West Ham in particular and those clubs chasing CL have been rewarded by their actions, punishment (weeks/month salary) aimed AT the players would be more appropriate rather than kicking me and other supporters in the knackers

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

The vote is misleading.

Yes, Rogers was right to 'punish' them publicly as there is no such thing as behind closed doors now. 

What is the real question, is given them a day off to play golf and therefore contribute to subjecting the depressed and anxious lockdown supporters to a lack luster 63 minutes when we eventually woke up, albeit too little, too late the right punishment?  

The club have punished themselves, fans have been punished, players could miss out on the CL bonuses and esteem, we will not attract CL players....the list goes on.

West Ham in particular and those clubs chasing CL have been rewarded by their actions, punishment (weeks/month salary) aimed AT the players would be more appropriate rather than kicking me and other supporters in the knackers

How do you know they weren't punished financially too? 

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t see why he didn’t just fine them a weeks wages, deal with it internally and tell them to make sure they played well yesterday as a bit of a warning and then drop them if they didn’t. 

I agree they shouldn’t have done what they done but is missing a game a punishment for the players or is it a punishment for their teammates and the fans? I think it’s the latter tbh. 

A weeks salary is not enough, they'd laugh at that.

A bang average Hamza lives in a 1.5m house in West Bridgford, on 40-50k PW, HB is about to go on 100k, Perez is likely to be around that

• Like 1

If he has warned them and told them specifically what's required and they go do what it's been reported that they have, as manager he needs to sort this. O'Neil ruled with an iron fist - I remember him waiting outside the hotel after curfew and players trying to sneak in who had been out late absolutely crapping themselves that they'd be caught like naughty school kids... Whilst players will be spoilt dicks, it's part and parcel of being paid so much and being entitled and young and selfish – the buck stops with the manager and he needed to nip an incident in the bud, considering the wider cultural implications and firmly re-iterating there will be consequences for behaviour that's not at the expected standard of players under his management. This was the right call or you get players thinking they are bigger than the team and can behave how they want and still will play – and that's a much worse problem to have.

• Like 2

The club pays them tens of thousands each week, and they're lucky as all the players meet up physically every day so they've probably lost the least amount of human contact compared to other lines of work. The similar matter of fact is if the club were to overlook this incident and keep it in house then it'd almost create a precident that the players are bigger then the club and can do what they want.

The rules are there for a reason and I don't care how key the players involved are, no one should disrespect the rules of the club and no one is above punishment if they do. 100% the right call imo. 

The managers decision is about far more than 1 or 2 games, or even a cup final or season.

It is putting his (Rodgers) and the clubs position for all future misdemeanors. When he is interviewing for his next job, the club will see him as a strong manager, when the club is making offers to future players, they will know what is expected of them.

tbh i would have still kept them wondering if they would be dropped for the semi for a few more days.

If West Ham had left out one of their most influential players and an inform player both in an area they are desperately lacking as punishment to them we'd think they have gone nuts and thank them for the two own goals.

The decision lifted West Ham and we were subdued for 63mins

They (not the club and us) deserve their arses kicking big time. Hypothetically, would it be ok/ right to drop Vardy and Kante towards the end of 2015-16 season as 'punishment' if circumstances similar

47 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

I don't give a monkeys if they were, that's not the point.

Making them unavailable when an in form Perez and Madison would've made a difference seems bizarre.

This would've been punishment in the 70s but isn't now

Even if club protocol allowed them to play at the weekend. The chances are they would have had to miss a lot of training last week whilst testing etc was done. Rodgers would have had to start planning at the start of the week for them to be involved. So he's probably made the decision based on discipline, but also the fact they've not been involved during the week. 

36 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

If West Ham had left out one of their most influential players and an inform player both in an area they are desperately lacking as punishment to them we'd think they have gone nuts and thank them for the two own goals.

The decision lifted West Ham and we were subdued for 63mins

They (not the club and us) deserve their arses kicking big time. Hypothetically, would it be ok/ right to drop Vardy and Kante towards the end of 2015-16 season as 'punishment' if circumstances similar

Of course :dunno:

NO player is bigger than the club, ever.

You relent, you make a rod for your own back forever more.

Not saying it wouldn't be sh*t, but making such calls is critical and should never ever be avoided.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t see why he didn’t just fine them a weeks wages, deal with it internally and tell them to make sure they played well yesterday as a bit of a warning and then drop them if they didn’t. 

I agree they shouldn’t have done what they done but is missing a game a punishment for the players or is it a punishment for their teammates and the fans? I think it’s the latter tbh. 

They hadn't trained with the team all week.... You can't just through them into arguably our biggest game of the season. 

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Because Rodgers said they weren't.

Donations to an appropriate charity would be sensible.

Disappointed they haven’t been fined by the club, hopefully they have at least been fined by the senior players with that fine system they have themselves (like what happened with Choudhury and Chilwell) but hopefully all the money goes to the Vichai foundation

Guest Cujek

Soyunchu, dont break "covid regulations" tests positive misses important matches

those 3, break the regulations, test negative, miss important match.

nothing makes sense anymore.

Perez especially would have made a huge contribution in that west ham game.

i understand the clubs stand point and what they did was the correct thing, im just dissapointed that we gimped our selves when im not sure other clubs would have done so.

People suggesting the club shouldn't have remove the players from the game is crazy.

You can't just have integrity when it suit you, it can't be forgotten just because it puts you at a disadvantage. 

The players gave the manager and the club no choice, short term pain long term gain.

Edited by coolhandfox

25 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Soyunchu, dont break "covid regulations" tests positive misses important matches

those 3, break the regulations, test negative, miss important match.

nothing makes sense anymore.

Perez especially would have made a huge contribution in that west ham game.

i understand the clubs stand point and what they did was the correct thing, im just dissapointed that we gimped our selves when im not sure other clubs would have done so.

We didn`t, we were gimped by some very immature employees