Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Did Rodgers make the right call?

Did Rodgers make the right call?  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Should he have dealt with the players so publicly?

• Yes - they're idiots and they deserve it.
    • No - fine them and don't bring unnecessary scrutiny upon the club.

i dont know the full story but if it was a get together at Ayozes, a few drinks early in the week and it was all about covid then i'd have fined them but played them, maddsion not playing cost us today and could cost us a place in Europe, i don't believe they deserve to have blame aportioned to them for that.

If they turned up yesterday for training stinking of booze then thats a different story altogether

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

There is no other solution though is there, so they've been dropped (of which they might not have played and/or are not match fit so would be on the bench anyway) and fined, an insignificant fine given what they earn and already have in the bank, it's hardly going to effect them, so they can't really do any wrong - it's not really gonna effect them, theres not much else you can do to punish them yet is it really a huge punishment is it?

I'd love a few fines on what they earn.

'No travelling to London? A match off? Feet up and/or an afternoon on the golf course? Oh please gaffer, punish me more often! Infact might even have another party!' :vardy::riyad:

There is nothing more BR or the club could have done, but that is exactly the point i'm making.

Great Post mate, fully agree with the points you make. I don't get the mentality of Madders, huge stage of the season he's always talking about how much he wants champions league football. Add to this he's constantly going on about making the England squad why risk it for a few shandies and ice pops at Hamzas. Completely idiotic of him and shows a complete lack of respect for LCFC. 

• Like 1

They increased their chances of catching covid. Positive covid test means you don't play. So they potentially increased the chance of their teammates missing games and impacting the club. The only decision that could have been made.

• Like 1

The players going to a party is not defendable. They broke Covid law and should be fined and dropped. Pity the police didn’t arrest them and embarrass them even more, absolute  fools for doing that and  nobody in their right mind should try to defend them 

• Like 1

The big question is has this sad event negatively affected our performance today? had it? If it had than the wider implications should mean a stiffer punishment. We've all been in situation whether at school or at work where an individual or individuals broke the rules and even though you may not be to blame you do feel affected. Your let down by your team mates and feel some collective shame like maybe they don't care as much as I do? Team morale or focus can be affected. So there is more to the shambolic way we played which was so much out of character. Non of us expected this we may have expected a tough game against a very good opposition but this opposition was weakened and could have been beat. A big missed opportunity for stupid reasons.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

yes he did I agree. What I meant was, he could have delayed or deflected the incident by saying "it's an internal matter" in order to buy time. He didn't and by being proactive he pre-empted the inevitable press reaction. 

Again..ne didn t Let them push it, und they did try, But he Left them Cold by saying its an Internal matter and will be handled accordingly...

A Football manager cant prevent the Media getting hold of Information & ask 'the question'...

In an Interview at Football being  proactive helps One to deflect uncomfortabel questions....

I cant see what he did wrong...Unless he shot the Reporter before

he asked...Bring totally bombastic & ignoring the situation...Leaves him & Club Open to 'out of context' nonsense...

Edited by fuchsntf

13 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I guess we will find out over the next couple of games whether the big bosses in the dressing room like Kasper and Vardy agree with Rodgers or whether they instigate operation sack the manager lol

I can imagine Kasper, Evans, Albrighton etc. were not at all impressed with the behaviour. Stick them in a room with ranty Kasper 😁

Voted NO and below are the reasons.

These players are tested every day so assuming they met just each other on Sun outside of the club,  makes a possibility of spreading infection almost equal to zero.

This obviously doesn't automatically mean players can break rules setup for everyone. 

But club reaction to this incident must be adequate. In my opinion it wasn't.

Club has a number of other, more efficient options including financial to punish players for breaking rules and to keep it in accordance with highest club standards. 

Without taking them out of such important games like we had today  and  especially making the whole thing public.

In May we may miss points lost today in  connection with our ambitions to enter Champions League.

As somebody already mentioned not sure if any other PL club will do the same especially taking into account current position in the league and number of games left.

Not defending offenders, but those calling players of their favorite club 'idiots' must try to think twice if they themselves didn't broke any rules in their life ...

5 minutes ago, FoxSk said:

These players are tested every day so assuming they met just each other on Sun outside of the club,  makes a possibility of spreading infection almost equal to zero.

This obviously doesn't automatically mean players can break rules setup for everyone. 

Club has a number of other, more efficient options including financial to punish players for breaking rules and to keep it in accordance with highest club standards. 

Without taking them out of such important games like we had today  and  especially making the whole thing public.

In May we may miss points lost today in  connection with our ambitions to enter Champions League.

As somebody already mentioned not sure if any other PL club will do the same especially taking into account current position in the league and number of games left.

Not defending offenders, but those calling players of their favorite club 'idiots' must try to think twice if they themselves didn't broke any rules in their life ...

1) our lives have nothing to do with footballers' lives. Whether any random Joe Bloggs has broken a rule is irrelevant to what the players should and shouldn't be doing. It's a moot point. So they can be called idiots because their actions have essentially proved it, in this scenario. Idiotic behaviour.

2) Tested every day or not, they have rules to stick to, which they consequently broke. 

3) To my knowledge, they have been fined. The club didn't make the whole thing public. It came as a result of a leak. That's not Rodgers' fault? If they were chosen to play today, that, to me, gives the wrong impression to the players who need to be punished for the discrepancy and as if they can get away with it. 

4) what other clubs do is similar to point 1 - irrelevant. Other clubs have their own standards and protocols. The fact we don't know what they are means we can't really compare properly. 
5) If we miss out on CL, I'd rather point to the points lost earlier in the season in the home games vs Villa, Fulham, Leeds etc. Not necessarily today, really.

If they were clean before the match, then they should have played.  You dont voluntarily castrated your team just because you are "punishing" players.   FFS, they bloody get paid to play, not to be punished by not playing!

Should have fined them based on the result of today's match.

Win=week fine

draw=2 week fine

Loss=3 week fine

What next, punish Vardy by not playing at Wembley because he hasn't scored recently?

The management have shit themselves in the foot over this one.  We will not finish top 4.

Edited by filthyfox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bert said:

Morally - Yes. 

In hindsight - Had we not lost the game - Yes. Having the lost the game it seems like a gamble that’s not paid off. 

Personally I think the punishment would’ve been better being handed out next weekend, imagine coming back to the squad then having to miss out at Wembley. That would’ve been a real killer. 

...the problem is punishing them, punishes the club also..!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FoxSk said:

Two things on this, the club didn’t make this public attention seeking nobodies on the internet made this public.

As much as we all want the inside word as to what’s happening at the club, this needs to stop. Once it was posted on the internet the club had no choice but to respond to it.

Not sure any other club would do the same thing, I think you’re correct here, but, for me that’s what makes our club great and we will see the benefits of this, you can’t have players doing what they feel like.

If as we are led to believe they were all given a warning on return from international duty, once the players didn’t meet these expectations the club had two choices follow through on the warning or let the players get away with it and lose respect and discipline in the dressing room, as well as pissing off all of the players who have done the right thing.

We, as a club have handled this well. Now we move on. We have 7 league games and an FA Cup semi final to prepare for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxSk said:

Why would you assume they met up in the sun outside the club? Club statement clearly says "a breach of covid restrictions". Meeting each other outside wouldn't be breaching any such rules so we KNOW it was something else. 

Where have you saw that they are tested every day? Everything I have saw has stated twice a week....

However, regardless of whether they were tested the next day or not is beside the point. Covid can take up to a week after exposure to produce a positive test, during which time you can still be contagious. 

Let's say those three were allowed mix with the squad then provided a positive test in a few days.... Thats potentially the whole first team squad out isolating. Thats the semi final and the WBA game done. 

(It's still absolutely baffling to me that even after a year of covid, people still don't know facts like the part I've underlined)