Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

World Snooker Championship 2021

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Must have been the Masters a few years back as I think that's the only final Selby has lost to O'Sullivan. They were interviewing Selby first as the runner up, like the always do, and some twat in crowd is booing and shouting "We want Ronnie!" Support whoever you want, but have some respect for the other players.

Its completely disrespectful. I was at a final in Northern Ireland when Ding beat Ronnie and Ding was even more softly spoken than now. He was being interviewed and people kept shouting over him, it was embarrassing and unfortunately we couldnt hear the interview as a result.  I mean **** off you heckling twats, no one gives a shit what you have to say but we do care about what the players have to say 

• Like 3

Get in there Selby. Proper snooker player how anybody can moan about his style is beyond me. Yes he grinds people down and is often quite defensive and safety 1st tactically but that’s what wins him these long gruelling matches.

Fair play to the bloke I always support him and watch him as much as I can when he’s on because he’s from Leicester and a Leicester fan so congratulations to him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

These 2 bed wetting posts at 17-15 up 🤣 not lads you want in the trenches With you that's for sure!!

I tried to reply to the second one, but Selby had cleared the table before I finished my post lol

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, kingfox said:

This guy obviously doesn’t know that Mark Selby made the Snooker Shoot Out final this year lol 

People need to check the stats before slagging Selby. According to timings which have been kept for the last four years or so, this season just finished (not sure if WC included) Selby at 23.4 takes virtually the same AST as Robertson 23.4 and over the year has been quicker than Wilson, Higgins and Stuart Bingham. There are quite a few players only a second or two ahead and obviously some five seconds quicker. 

He may not be the fastest, but is not a snail, and seems to be one of a dying breed who love a safety and tactical battle rather than a quick fire shoot out. I think with the title of World Champion at stake, not to mention £500,000, most of us would take a few seconds longer to consider our shot selection. I think this slow play tag going around is to a certain extent an urban myth created and perpetuated by some other players and their fans. He knows he has this reputation and did say his mentor / manager had suggested he increase his shot tempo this year when he was able to.  

Selby is a winner, is a great champion and I hope he continues to play his way. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I tried to reply to the second one, but Selby had cleared the table before I finished my post lol

Embarassing isn't it. Like people saying I can't see LCFC finishing top 4 from our current position after drawing with Saints. Can't imagine what they must be to be around day to day, meltdowns when their toast burns or the hot water runs out

• Like 2

What makes it seem like Selby is a really boring and slow player to some, in my opinion, is that on the odd occasion he does take his time he tends to realllly take his time. Robertson is similar, where a player might look at his options when in a spot of bother and take 45 seconds to weigh it up Mark can and often does take well in excess of 2 whole minutes. That's his prerogative and the proof is in the pudding, don't call him sat nav Selby for nothing. This proves he isn't a slow, or even methodical player, as the stats show in black and white. His average shot time is right around the average mark, which proves on the whole he's actually a pretty swift player, taking in to account that he will have them odd moments where he takes 2 sometimes even 3+ minutes over one shot, to get his average down to 24 seconds he has to be quicker the rest of the time. Boring my arse, hell of a player, granite, up there with Higgins and as far as we know he isn't 100%, caught on camera, as bent as it gets; as well. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Izzy said:

I reckon Selby is the snooker equivalent of golfer Ian Poulter.

Poults doesn't drive it long and his iron play is average, but under pressure there's no-one better.

His peers hate playing matchplay against him because he beats them up mentally.

And the US crowd hate him (because deep down they admire him)

Mark Selby beats Shaun Murphy in World Snooker Championship final – as it  happened | Sport | The Guardian

Ryder Cup 2014: Ian Poulter evoke spirit of old | The Scotsman

Selby on Vardy

"A couple of years ago he got in contact with me, asking if I knew of anyone who made good cues as he'd just bought a snooker table for his home.

"I put him onto the guy who made my cue. So he went across and had a word and then text me back saying 'They're quite expensive those cues'.

"I mean I paid £240 for mine, so I asked him how much he got charged and he told me £1,500.

"So he must have chosen all the splices in the world, all the different kinds of wood.

"So I said to him 'what did you have on it?' and he was telling me 'I liked that colour and I liked this and that' so I said to him 'well there you go then!' - He had about 20 different colours and splices!

"And he's moaning to me about the price! And just think how much he's on a week!

"But, yeah I've got to know him well and he's such a good lad. He's down to earth and what he's done in his career is fantastic."

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Yeah, but he's from Harlow.

41 years of hurt avenged!    :)

worth the wait :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Could have sworn he was from Northampton, mates with Kyren Wilson who is local to that area

Both right. Quick look at his Wikipedia page and he was born in Harlow, raised in Northamptonshire.

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Both right. Quick look at his Wikipedia page and he was born in Harlow, raised in Northamptonshire.

Cool, was certain he'd mentioned that after beating Kyren and also had heard stories of him saying he got bullied at school in Northampton, glad to know Im not going 'potty'

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Cool, was certain he'd mentioned that after beating Kyren and also had heard stories of him saying he got bullied at school in Northampton, glad to know Im not going 'potty'

And, in the least surprising news of the day...

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

It's very sad, i never liked him much as a player but i have to say i've warmed to him recently and i can understand why he likes the crowd encouragement so much.  I'd imagine going through that at school it must feel fantastic to have so much support from the crowd.  It must be absolute misery to be bullied at school, imagine going to school everyday in fear day in day out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It's very sad, i never liked him much as a player but i have to say i've warmed to him recently and i can understand why he likes the crowd encouragement so much.  I'd imagine going through that at school it must feel fantastic to have so much support from the crowd.  It must be absolute misery to be bullied at school, imagine going to school everyday in fear day in day out.

Agreed. I imagine not going to school after the age of 13 would have impacted him socially which is why he's come across a bit big headed at times. Its mental to hear the back stories, same with Selby too with the interview he did at the masters.

15 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Anyone been watching the World Seniors? Jimmy Vs Lilley in the final. Personally I think the competition should be for over 50s. Don't think it's entirely fair having these 40-somethings rinsing the OAPs.

I agree, technically O'Sullivan, Higgins and Williams would have been eligible for the seniors.

• Like 1