Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

World Snooker Championship 2021

Only right to have a separate thread for the World Championship.

Nice to have some normality back this year, with it being in it’s rightful month of April. Fingers crossed the audience situation goes as planned.

Draw...

1) Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Mark Joyce

16) Anthony McGill vs Ricky Walden

9) Ding Junhui vs Stuart Bingham

8) Stephen Maguire vs Jamie Jones

5) John Higgins vs Tian Pengfei

12) Mark Williams vs Sam Craigie

13) Mark Allen vs Lyu Haotian 

4) Mark Selby vs Kurt Maflin

3) Neil Robertson vs Liang Wenbo

14) Jack Lisowski vs Ali Carter

11) Barry Hawkins vs Matt Selt

6) Kyren Wilson vs Gary Wilson

7) Shaun Murphy vs Mark Davis

10) Yan Bingtao vs Martin Gould

15) David Gilbert vs Chris Wakelin

2) Judd Trump vs Liam Highfield

Two debutants this year in Mark Joyce :yawn: and Sam Craigie.

Some cracking first round ties, Ding vs Bingham, Selby vs Maflin, Robertson vs Wenbo, Lisowski vs Carter, Bingtao vs Gould and the battle of the Wilson’s all have potential to be tasty.

Really tough one to call this year imo, a good handful of players in good form, but not necessarily consistent form. Ronnie been the most consistent over the past few months, but hasn’t won any of his finals. Section 2 & 3 are stacked, especially now Maflin, Wenbo, Carter and Gary Wilson have been thrown into the mix.

• Like 2

With the changes Higgins has made to his cue action and how he's been playing in recent tournaments, I expect him to go to the last 4 at least this year. I don't see Ronnie winning it, purely because he's getting a bit too flaky again. One bad session and he kind of chucks the towel in if his opponent is playing well. 

Shame they are both in the same side of the draw, as it'd be hard to look past a Trump v Robertson final but for that. But given that, I'd go for these as the semis. 

Ronnie v Higgins

Trump v Robertson 

Robertson to beat Higgins in the final. 

A potential route of Maflin, Allen, Higgins/Williams, O'Sullivan, Trump/Robertson is about as tough as its gets for Selby. 

Bingtao not done anything apart from the Masters so interesting to see if the longer matches bring out the best in him again. 

Like to see the Hawk do well and he loves playing at the crucible. 

Difficult to choose a winner because Trump has bombed in the major ones this year from memory, Ronnie has consistently got to finals but won none of them, Robertson has won a couple of bigguns but then is always partial to a shock defeat. 

Great points @The Bear @RowlattsFox

That’s why I think it’s so tough to call it this year. If Higgins plays like he did at the Players Championship, then I make him favourite, if he plays like he did at the Tour Championship then I don’t see him winning it.

If Robertson plays like he did at the Tour Championship, then he’s definitely a top 3 favourite, if he plays like he did in a couple of events prior to that, then I don’t see him making it past the Quarters. 

Judd has been in patchy form, Ronnie hasn’t been doing the business over the longer format, Selby been in patchy form too and Maflin is a tough first rounder. 

Hawkins has been in good form, but he is in the nightmare section. Mark Williams has played well recently, albeit over shorter formats. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if a few seeds tumble in the first round, a few 50/50 match ups and numerous potential banana skins.

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Jude’s been quiet for a while. You could literally pick any of the top 8 and have a decent argument for any of them. Buzzing for it to start. 

That sums it up for me, particularly as the man of the moment seems to change from tournament to tournament. 

Wouldnt even surprised me to see someone seemingly struggle through the first two rounds only to turn on the style and win the whole thing.

41 minutes ago, Nalis said:

That sums it up for me, particularly as the man of the moment seems to change from tournament to tournament. 

Wouldnt even surprised me to see someone seemingly struggle through the first two rounds only to turn on the style and win the whole thing.

Well that’s it isn’t it. You ideally want to hit form going out of the quarters into the semi final. First round is always a struggle for most, getting used to the surroundings and the cloths. 

No value in the odds for this tournament at all. Definitely very tough to call, I've not watched that much snooker these last few months but I think Robertson might win this year. Can't see Ronnie winning and Trump can be hit and miss. Looking forward to it, love the worlds!

I had no idea about Ronnie's new shop until I read about it just in one of his interviews! 

https://theoldgreenbaize.com/2021/04/07/ronnie-osullivan-in-new-business-venture-which-will-delight-snooker-fans/

Doesn't sound very exciting. He could have just made an ebay shop to do exactly the same thing. I guess he'll get loads of traffic during the tournament every year though. 

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not seen much snooker over the last year or so, obviously hairdressers havn't been open but what the hell has happened to Robertson's hair! lol

He grew it like that during lockdown, but his young daughter loves it so he's keeping it for now. 

6 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Nice to have the crowd back for the snooker, so much better 

It's nice, but seems a bit crazy that you can have a capacity crowd for the final, but so few people outdoors at Wembley. 

Competent start from Ronnie. 

Weird performance from Ronnie, bang average for the majority, then suddenly woke up with three centuries on the spin, to win the match.

Was impressed with Dave Gilbert tonight too, absolute joy to watch when he’s flowing.

15 hours ago, kingfox said:

Weird performance from Ronnie, bang average for the majority, then suddenly woke up with three centuries on the spin, to win the match.

Was impressed with Dave Gilbert tonight too, absolute joy to watch when he’s flowing.

I only saw the last five frames so it sounds like had a bit of a skewed perspective. Definitely got into gear for the end of the match though!