Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Josh Knight

Newly promoted Peterborough United expected to try and sign former loanee Josh Knight

They were interested in signing him permanently last summer

https://the72.co.uk/234291/peterborough-united-want-to-sign-leicester-city-man/

Leicester City’s Josh Knight is ‘expected to be of interest’ to Peterborough United this summer, as per a report by the Peterborough Telegraph.

The Posh are looking to sign players with Championship experience following their dramatic promotion from League One last weekend.

Knight, who is 23 years old, is a player they know well as he has had two loan spells at London Road in the past.

He has spent this past season on loan at Wycombe Wanderers in the second tier.

Read: Peterborough United starlet wanted by Fulham

Peterborough’s director of football, Barry Fry, has said: “We will try and sign players permanently rather than loan them. I believe Leicester will be ready to sell Josh.”

Knight has impressed at Wycombe this year despite their lowly league position, making 39 appearances in all competitions for Gareth Ainsworth’s side.

He joined Leicester’s academy at the age of eight and rose up through the youth ranks there.

Knight has had two separate loan spells at Peterborough over recent years and has played a combined 34 games for the Posh.

At the age of 23, he may be ready to leave Leicester on a permanent basis this summer to increase his chances of game time and would fit the bill for the Posh.

Always liked Josh. Our U23s defence was so strong with him in it, and you could always count on him for a winning header from a corner at the end of a match. Unfortunately it seems unlikely now that he will get a chance to make the step up with us. However, Peterborough obviously rate him very highly to have kept on persisting in signing him like this and he seemed to have a great time there, so I can't think of a better solution for all parties really. 

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

£1m minimum with a huge sell on clause.

Morgan and Fuchs retiring , so on the bench next season for me , you don't know what you've got etc. He is more than useful as a D.M. as well. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Morgan and Fuchs retiring , so on the bench next season for me , you don't know what you've got etc. He is more than useful as a D.M. as well. 

I'd not be against keeping him, but I think he's played enough football at a good level in recent years that he wants a permanent move and we won't stand in his way.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd not be against keeping him, but I think he's played enough football at a good level in recent years that he wants a permanent move and we won't stand in his way.

He has been with the club for a very long time Ric and and Leicester City means a great deal to him. He is definitely one of our better home grown players of the last ten years and I hope Rodgers finds a role for him.

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He has been with the club for a very long time Ric and and Leicester City means a great deal to him. He is definitely one of our better home grown players of the last ten years and I hope Rodgers finds a role for him.

We have aspirations to be a regular top 6 side, is he a top 6 defender? If not its better for everyone if he moves on. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

We have aspirations to be a regular top 6 side, is he a top 6 defender? If not its better for everyone if he moves on. 

He probably isn't in that class yet but neither is Dan and he is our bench option at the moment. High class defenders will never come and sit on our bench.

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

He probably isn't in that class yet but neither is Dan and he is our bench option at the moment. High class defenders will never come and sit on our bench.

The fact that he's been linked with Peterborough and not a PL team suggests he isn't of the required standard. I'm sure he rather be playing every week other than just the odd sub appearance when we have an injury crisis. 

• Like 1

I don't think we can stand in his way and expect him to make the odd sub appearance here and there or the odd start in the League Cup or an early FA Cup round.

It's time he found a proper permanent home that will give him regular game time. He's proved he can be a shining light in a team fighting for their lives in the Championship, and that's what Peterborough will be doing next season.

Peterborough is only down the road as well, and if he excels there next season like he has at Wycombe this season, he'll surely have clubs further up the division looking at him. He may even become a regular Premier League centre-half by the time he's 26/27.

We can afford to let him go now and we can afford to buy him back if he steps up in the future, but for the sake of his career he has to go now.

Whether it's Peterborough or elsewhere I hope he absolutely smashes it.

It's his best chance of making it really isn't it.  He's not going to break into the team here and he's reaching an age where he needs to be the main man every week.

If he does well in the Championship a Premier League career is possible. If he makes it at the right club and gets promoted I fancy he probably carves out a career for himself at a decent standard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Not after benkovic and iverson. I personally would prefer we don’t loan to you if your gaffa is so stubborn with rotation 

I think it had more to do with the attitude and lack of motivation from Benkovic. Awful body language. Iversen is a different story, he got injured and his replacement did a great job for us all season. I liked Iversen and they did the right thing recalling him, a whole year on the bench would stall his development. What happened to Sam Hughes?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leuven said:

I think it had more to do with the attitude and lack of motivation from Benkovic. Awful body language. Iversen is a different story, he got injured and his replacement did a great job for us all season. I liked Iversen and they did the right thing recalling him, a whole year on the bench would stall his development. What happened to Sam Hughes?

Hughes got an knee injury in December that ended his season

18 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Not after benkovic and iverson. I personally would prefer we don’t loan to you if your gaffa is so stubborn with rotation 

Sowah has played pretty much every single game for Leuven

Benkovic not playing isn't Leuven specific (he had the same issues at Cardiff), Iversen was great for them until he got injured then his replacement stepped in and was great and it would've been unfair to drop him (then Iversens loan to Preston has worked out very well) and Eppiah was never going to get ahead of Leuvens striker Henry

22 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Sowah has played pretty much every single game for Leuven

Benkovic not playing isn't Leuven specific (he had the same issues at Cardiff), Iversen was great for them until he got injured then his replacement stepped in and was great and it would've been unfair to drop him (then Iversens loan to Preston has worked out very well) and Eppiah was never going to get ahead of Leuvens striker Henry

I think the message was that those player were never wanted by the manager. 

Eppiah could have gone somewhere he did have a chance to play every week. 

But it seems the same with Andy King. 

if the manager requests a certain player sure, but the club shouldn’t meddle as nobody won in this situation 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 08:17, Nicolo Barella said:

Good for him, I hope he has a fantastic career and wish him all the best. He is an academy success :)

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade but we are a top 6 club with top 6 aspirations. 

I personally wouldn't view him as an academy success at all. 

I do wish him all the best though and I've watched dozens of his development games over the years so I have the utmost respect for him as a football player.

12 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade but we are a top 6 club with top 6 aspirations. 

I personally wouldn't view him as an academy success at all. 

I do wish him all the best though and I've watched dozens of his development games over the years so I have the utmost respect for him as a football player.

I disagree with that , I would rate him as at least as good as Hamza. Unfortunately for him Wes has continued into his later thirties and then Jonny  arrived. Caglar's success was less expected perhaps  but all these factors have limited his opportunities. Rodgers should think very hard before letting him go.