Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hollism

DIY/Home Improvement Thread

18 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Have a look at DIY kitchens from Pontefract

Just did my kitchen through them <£3k and the quality is excellent 

All comes fully assembled with the doors on…. You just have to level it up (really take your time on the first one)

https://www.diy-kitchens.com

This! Decent kitchens, much better quality than Wren, Benchmarx etc. Fitted one at home, and got one to fit in January. It’s well worth going up to the showroom. Only downside is, that you have to design the kitchen yourself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

This! Decent kitchens, much better quality than Wren, Benchmarx etc. Fitted one at home, and got one to fit in January. It’s well worth going up to the showroom. Only downside is, that you have to design the kitchen yourself.

Designing your own kitchen is half the fun!  However, just go to a place like wren and they’ll do a design it for free…. I was going to do that myself but then worked what I wanted, placed my order and went with it….  I only missed one filler panel from my design which was quickly rectified and additional one was sent out within a couple of days…

I didn’t visit the showroom, but, went round the obvious places in Leicester for inspiration  (B&Q, Wren, Magnet etc.)

The quality is right up there…. I had a kitchen from Dewhirsts previously and I’d say this was on a par…

3dCvprJ.jpg

Edited by Wolfox

12 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Designing your own kitchen is half the fun!  However, just go to a place like wren and they’ll do a design it for free…. I was going to do that myself but then worked what I wanted, placed my order and went with it….  I only missed one filler panel from my design which was quickly rectified and additional one was sent out within a couple of days…

I didn’t visit the showroom, but, went round the obvious places in Leicester for inspiration  (B&Q, Wren, Magnet etc.)

The quality is right up there…. I had a kitchen from Dewhirsts previously and I’d say this was on a par…

3dCvprJ.jpg

Edited by Kinowe Soorie
Don’t know?

I’ve got some shelves to put up in a new-build house (well 11 years old) which will be going onto an external wall.  Hate doing this as the walls have plasterboard dot n dabbed onto the block work. This doesn’t leave enough gap for many of the plasterboard fixings, and difficult to get a rawl plug into the block work.  Also need very long screws for this too.

1 hour ago, Hollism said:

Nice one cheers. Does that mean if I want to replace one light fitting with 3 spot lights (separate locations in the same room), I wouldn’t be allowed to DIY?

I’ve done that in a couple of the bathrooms - very simple job as the fittings just feed off each other, and I think they had simple snap connectors for the cables.

As it was in bathrooms, I made sure they were the correct IP rating, and IIRC, I also made sure they were fire rated, just in case.

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’d recommend getting an electrician for that definitely.

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

I’ve done that in a couple of the bathrooms - very simple job as the fittings just feed off each other, and I think they had simple snap connectors for the cables.

As it was in bathrooms, I made sure they were the correct IP rating, and IIRC, I also made sure they were fire rated, just in case.

Bathroom is exactly where I’m thinking of. It seems relatively simple but I’m assuming the laws want someone qualified to confirm that the circuit can handle the new layout?

Would be a shame to have to get someone in but I don’t want to take the piss and end up being unable to sell if we ever want to because everything flags up in reports.

57 minutes ago, Hollism said:

Bathroom is exactly where I’m thinking of. It seems relatively simple but I’m assuming the laws want someone qualified to confirm that the circuit can handle the new layout?

Would be a shame to have to get someone in but I don’t want to take the piss and end up being unable to sell if we ever want to because everything flags up in reports.

You could just pay for a condition report before you sell, as long as you feel competent to do the works.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hollism said:

I assume you will be putting in sealed LED units?  If so, they are probably 5-6 Watts each, total 15-18 Watts.  That will likely be much less than the current load on the lights (guess 40-60 watt bulb in there at least).  

I believe that the work you want to do can be done by yourself, and you do not need an electrician to do it, as long as you feel competent.  I am just a DIYer and felt happy to do the job myself.  Think it only took an hour or so.  Made much simpler being in bathrooms as I could just go in the loft and do the wiring easily.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I assume you will be putting in sealed LED units?  If so, they are probably 5-6 Watts each, total 15-18 Watts.  That will likely be much less than the current load on the lights (guess 40-60 watt bulb in there at least).  

I believe that the work you want to do can be done by yourself, and you do not need an electrician to do it, as long as you feel competent.  I am just a DIYer and felt happy to do the job myself.  Think it only took an hour or so.  Made much simpler being in bathrooms as I could just go in the loft and do the wiring easily.

Exactly correct. Only difference is the en-suite I’m planning for is an already converted loft. I assume the only difference is I need to be prepared to replaster the parts of the ceiling I destroy and neaten it up though.

21 minutes ago, Hollism said:

Exactly correct. Only difference is the en-suite I’m planning for is an already converted loft. I assume the only difference is I need to be prepared to replaster the parts of the ceiling I destroy and neaten it up though.

Smash it up, overboard and replaster. Or take the floorboards up above. They are really the only options. 

11 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I’ve got some shelves to put up in a new-build house (well 11 years old) which will be going onto an external wall.  Hate doing this as the walls have plasterboard dot n dabbed onto the block work. This doesn’t leave enough gap for many of the plasterboard fixings, and difficult to get a rawl plug into the block work.  Also need very long screws for this too.

The metal ones that you screw in to the drywall and then screw the final screw into those are good for dot and dab over blockwork. 

Well timed thread as I'm hoping for some guidance. Basically we're looking to "board out" our garage. Just insulate it, formalise the floor and board out the ceiling so it's actually a nice place to store stuff.

Anyone have an idea on cost for this? The tiny bit of research I've seen has bought up £7k and wondered if that was standard? Also, if anyone has experience of it do let me know. Essentially want to make more of that space, and stop everything from being dusty as hell in there.

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Well timed thread as I'm hoping for some guidance. Basically we're looking to "board out" our garage. Just insulate it, formalise the floor and board out the ceiling so it's actually a nice place to store stuff.

Anyone have an idea on cost for this? The tiny bit of research I've seen has bought up £7k and wondered if that was standard? Also, if anyone has experience of it do let me know. Essentially want to make more of that space, and stop everything from being dusty as hell in there.

Are you taking the project on yourself?

Are you doing a plastered finish?

I’m going to turn mine into a bar, which includes changing the up and over door for a window, putting in bifold doors on the side and fully fitted out. Which I think I can achieve for maybe £11k - £13k.

I know building materials have shot up but I’d be surprised if you came anywhere near that much.

Edited by Strokes

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Are you taking the project on yourself?

Are you doing a plastered finish?

I’m going to turn mine into a bar, which includes changing the up and over door for a window, putting in bifold doors on the side and fully fitted out. Which I think I can achieve for maybe £11k - £13k.

I know building materials have shot up but I’d be surprised if you came anywhere near that much.

I genuinely don't have the patience or capability to do it myself(!) so would get someone in. It'd literally be the basics to give it some insulation and be better place for storage and the potential arrival of a treadmill. Essentially making sure it's not the breeze block shell it is now. Just a case of having no idea where to look, or the type of companies who do it.

Nothing as fancy as that nice sounding bar that's for sure (not sure that'd be my decision anyway......)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I genuinely don't have the patience or capability to do it myself(!) so would get someone in. It'd literally be the basics to give it some insulation and be better place for storage and the potential arrival of a treadmill. Essentially making sure it's not the breeze block shell it is now. Just a case of having no idea where to look, or the type of companies who do it.

Nothing as fancy as that nice sounding bar that's for sure (not sure that'd be my decision anyway......)

I don’t think you need a mass of skills to do it but if it will take you longer and cost you more in loss of earnings, then it’s always worth using a contractor.

Fix 2x2 batterns on the wall, 600mm apart and screw plasterboard to it.the ceiling will already have the joists I presume? So just cut and fix the plasterboard over it.

Paint the floor, put a rubber mat down and you’re done.

I’d feel confident I could do it over a weekend.

• 1 year later...

Not DIY as such but closest thread I could find. Just noticed the drainpipe at the front of the house has detached from the gutter on the roof. Looks like it would fit back in but I’m not keen getting up there on a 3 storey. Who would do such a job without ripping me off?