Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

England friendlies.

7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Thing is, Southgate is one of the best England managers for years in terms of results. We breeze through qualifying and regularly get to knockout stages of tournaments under him. 

He's just gets found out at a bit higher level of coaching. Often a bit safe in games, can  go unnecessarily defensive, and doesn't adjust mid-game tactics to be a top level coach. 

In terms of qualification, I think most of us with a half decent football knowledge would be able to get this England side through qualifying. 

Anything other than reaching the final in the summer will be a disaster, with the squad we have. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

He'd have infinitely more chance of winning the tournament, which is kind of the point of international football. Given Chris bloody Coleman managed to make himself look capable in the international arena I don't think you can make any assumptions about the stage of someone's career. Mourinho hasn't worked in it and besides the fact his powers have diminished at club level actually mean he's more suited to an international gig now - more focus on winning cups, his raison d'etre, and less focus on culture, squad building, relationships etc.

And even Mourinho was a mainly a quick and easy response to the glib 'well who would you get instead?' response that people seem to think is a silver bullet counter-argument to the idea of a replacing a manager that is clearly failing.

I'm sure are many others out there who'd come in and immediately have a better chance of success than Southgate, who has virtually none.

It's quite possibly glib, yes, but it's also a way to demonstrate that such critics might not actually be able to categorically prove what they say and should perhaps qualify their remarks as opinion rather than stating them as fact. But then you see examples of that all the time.

The fact is that we have no way of knowing whether or not another manager would do better than Southgate right now beyond a hunch, because no other England manager has been in the same situation with all other variables equal.

Edited by leicsmac

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'd back Mourinho in a tournament more than I would Southgate. I can imagine Mourinho's style now is more suited to tournament football than leagues - his time at Roma seems evidence itself.

Maybe - will Portugal give him a go ?

37 minutes ago, Bert said:

In terms of qualification, I think most of us with a half decent football knowledge would be able to get this England side through qualifying. 

Anything other than reaching the final in the summer will be a disaster, with the squad we have. 

Plenty of good managers have failed to either qualify or get out of the group stages at major tournaments including Bobby Robson, Glenn Hoddle and Roy Hodgson. All had good squads. 

Southgate's only real weakness at International football is his coaching in the later stages against other top teams, for the reasons I previously suggested. 

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Lay them now and thank me later.

We have a crap manager but Englands squad is not better then Portugal, France, or Germanys. Very good attacking players but the defence is shocking. Just pure English delusion over rating the squad and thinking we’re the best as usual. Dias, Pepe, Rudiger, Saliba etc are all miles better then the options we have. Sad but true. Id be amazed if we got a result against Portugal, Germany, France or Spain if we faced them in the knockouts this summer

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

We have a crap manager but Englands squad is not better then Portugal, France, or Germanys. Very good attacking players but the defence is shocking. Just pure English delusion over rating the squad and thinking we’re the best as usual. Dias, Pepe, Rudiger, Saliba etc are all miles better then the options we have. Sad but true. Id be amazed if we got a result against Portugal, Germany, France or Spain if we faced them in the knockouts this summer

Agreed our central defence is sub-par compared to the other top teams. However I'd argue that our attack and midfield is the best in the world. We have two in Kane and Bellingham that are the best players in the world right now in their respective positions. That's without mentioning the likes of Saka, Foden and Rice. 

• Like 2

The problem is the FA tend to never to go for best man for the job... they go for someone they can control. Prime example In 1978 and 1982 Brian Clough was by far the best manager in England but was over looked twice. Again in 2012 Redknapp at the time was but again was snubbed. The Fa is ran by political correct snobs. 

Next England manager will probably be an underwhelming name like a Graham Potter, who lets face it shown at Chelsea he couldn't live up to the pressure of a big club.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

I agree and i think mentally were still quite weak as a group, there no way were winning the euros with or without southgate.....unless....all the top teams get knocked out and we get a sweet draw like the last Euro's...but even then we couldnt win it.

Edited by purpleronnie

Germany have really came on strong then in the past 12 months since their world cup group stage exit and their defeat against us in the Euros, which I remember reading here wasn't much of an achievement because they're not what they used to be 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Carsley is apparently the FA"s top choice if Southgate leaves. That's why he suddenly turned down the Ireland job recently. 

Easy appointment again for the FA, I swear it's a cost cutting scheme appointing within means less money to fork out. I think all top managers in world football would fancy a crack at the England job, Mourhino admitted turning it down in 2007 was a huge mistake and if offered he would take it,  Luiz Felipe Scolari admitted he was quite prepared to leave his job at Portugal to take the England job but was unimpressed of the timing of the approach, they approached during a world cup when Sven was still manager, he asked if the FA to wait till after the tournament to discuss a deal. Fa said no, they wanted his signature there and then. So Scolari declined, but admitted now he really fancied the job and would have taken it if they waited till after the tournament. 

Antiono Conte I think would be perfect for the job, did a great job with a young Italy squad during the euro 2016. Knows the English league well.

Edited by Leicesterpool

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Carsley is apparently the FA"s top choice if Southgate leaves. That's why he suddenly turned down the Ireland job recently. 

Like Southgate step up from the Under 21s I guess ?

Walker and Maguire out of the Belgium game .

Rico Lewis called up .

Edited by Super_horns

1 minute ago, Leicesterpool said:

Easy appointment again for the FA, I swear it's a cost cutting scheme appointing within means less money to fork out. I think all top managers in world football would fancy a crack at the England job, Mourhino admitted turning it down in 2007 was a huge mistake and if offered he would take it,  Luiz Felipe Scolari admitted he was quite prepared to leave his job at Portugal to take the England job but was unimpressed of the timing of the approach, they approached during a world cup when Sven was still manager, he asked if the FA to wait till after the tournament to discuss a deal. Fa said no, they wanted his signature there and then. So Scolari declined, but admitted now he really fancied the job and would have taken it if they waited till after the tournament. 

Antiono Conte I think would be perfect for the job, did a great job with a young Italy squad during the euro 2016. Knows the English league well.

Euro 2016 wasn’t it ?

Italy went out with us in 2014.

Would people take to his style of football if they find Southgate negative ..

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

Euro 2016 wasn’t it ?

Italy went out with us in 2014.

Would people take to his style of football if they find Southgate negative ..

Yeah sorry Euro 2016, well difference is Conte style of tactics has won him silverware. While Southgate has just a runners up medal to his name.

30 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Yeah sorry Euro 2016, well difference is Conte style of tactics has won him silverware. While Southgate has just a runners up medal to his name.

Which is a lot more than Capello, McLaren, Sven, Hoddle, Keegan, Hodgson have to their name as England manager…. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bert said:

Which is a lot more than Capello, McLaren, Sven, Hoddle, Keegan, Hodgson have to their name as England manager…. 

But apparently we're capable of knowing to a certainty that at least half of those managers would have won at least one of the last three major tournaments with the England squad available at that time.

Apparently.

13 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about Trafford replacing Johnson. Not on here tbf. 

They always dip into the U21s when players pull out mid-camp.

Shows that we're short of keepers when we're having to call up a keeper that's currently at a side that's second from bottom in the premier league. Bet Butland is pretty peed atm.

8 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Shows that we're short of keepers when we're having to call up a keeper that's currently at a side that's second from bottom in the premier league. Bet Butland is pretty peed atm.

Keepers not in any squad at any age level are probably away with family right now having a short break, hence why he dips into the lower age level squads to bulk out the squad. If they aren't training at the same place, then they won't be too far away to travel over to the senior squad, which is a lot easier than getting someone back from holiday in Dubai.

• Like 1

Belgium up next tonite!

wonder what amazing footy England has in store for us this time? Get to watch Tielemans, faes and Timmy time back together again. Why is KDB not playing?

You think we're owed a performance tonight but dont hold your breath. Our record against Belgium of late has not been great.

I think Kane not being available is a blessing in disguise chance to look at other options and highlight other issues.

Edited by Leicesterpool