Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

England friendlies.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Your current talent pool - especially relative to the rest of the world - is absurdly good. Your current depth chart compared to the so called golden generation is absolutely insane. 

It is a staggering embarrassment to the FA and Southgate how bad you are considering. 

It seems as if Southgate has failed to put the handbrake fully off at times to realise the team's potential.

Look at Page with Wales; they always seem to be going for it, albeit having a *lower quality team (*no bite here, but it's true).

Just now, goose2010 said:

I'm not saying the squad back then wasn't unreal but the teams we were playing were also unreal. There are very few European players that would get into our team currently. 

Southgate will not get it right he just doesn't have it in him. 

He's a bang average manager who's managed to create a good camp. Tactically he's completely out of his depth 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The entire back line back then (Terry,  Rio, Ashley Cole) was better than the current one barring maybe Kyle Walker for Gary Neville (although what a career he had)

Then Lampard and Gerrard were so good every manager played them together probably to the detriment of the team. Then you had the likes of Beckham and Rooney who undeniably would've got into this side.

Gerrard in a liverpool top was of course class act, England in qualifiers again class act. Major tournaments he was a big let down, he always looked tired and was ready to hit the beach. I do think he was passionate about playing for England but he was physically drained come tournament time especially the demand and role he had at Liverpool. I did hear somewhere that some training sessions Gerrard he needed to miss on advice from physios. Something about he never trained a day before a match. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Get Southgate out now, there's still time. Zero point in him leading us into the Euros.

100%

The minutes applause at the start made me think about what El Tel would have done with this bunch of players.  

Edited by BlueSi13

Sadly we played with a single pivot and we lost 

hence expect the double pivot to return when the competitive games return 

it’s likely that Southgate can’t work out how to make the most of the extra attacking options that a single pivot provides 

Jordan!  Get here now …….

Edited by st albans fox

I missed the game as I was out but it only took a couple of final live text feeds from the game to know exactly how it went down. Dunk on instead of an attacking option tells you exactly what you already knew - Southgate is way out of his depth.

Yes man is clueless.  Joke of a manager.  "Defend at all costs" will not win knockout competitions.

I didn’t really watch it and I’m not defending them at all, but with the business end of the season approaching I can imagine it’s hard to get up for friendlies, as a pro. When was the last friendly game that anyone watched that was end to end attacking free flowing football?

Majority of the players simply can’t be arsed, especially when their club mates will more than likely be having 4/5 days in Dubai. 

Yep it should be a privilege to represent your country, but them days are long gone in football. 

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Mourinho on a contract specifically covering this year's Euros would be my choice.

It’s never gonna happen. 

The players love Southgate. So do the FA. He’s a yes man and the only way Southgate goes is on his terms. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Mourinho on a contract specifically covering this year's Euros would be my choice.

In terms of knowing how to win trophies rather than wanting to see a more attacking style of football ?

13 minutes ago, Bert said:

I didn’t really watch it and I’m not defending them at all, but with the business end of the season approaching I can imagine it’s hard to get up for friendlies, as a pro. When was the last friendly game that anyone watched that was end to end attacking free flowing football?

Majority of the players simply can’t be arsed, especially when their club mates will more than likely be having 4/5 days in Dubai. 

Yep it should be a privilege to represent your country, but them days are long gone in football. 

Maybe something in that but then most players at some clubs will be away on international duty.

Must admit Gordon for example did try to makes things happen more than most on his debut .

22 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

In terms of knowing how to win trophies rather than wanting to see a more attacking style of football ?

Maybe something in that but then most players at some clubs will be away on international duty.

Must admit Gordon for example did try to makes things happen more than most on his debut .

Yep and you’d be inclined to say that’s because it was his debut and has an outside chance of making the Euro’s. Every other starter knows they’re on the plane. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bert said:

It’s never gonna happen. 

The players love Southgate. So do the FA. He’s a yes man and the only way Southgate goes is on his terms. 

Also, Mourinho at this stage of his career would be a step backwards and would only be suggested by someone massively out of touch with football. 

Just now, Finnegan said:

Also, Mourinho at this stage of his career would be a step backwards and would only be suggested by someone massively out of touch with football. 

Yes - Mourinho is a bit of a has been. Southgate is at the very least, a bean.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trabuch said:

Yes - Mourinho is a bit of a has been. Southgate is at the very least, a bean.

They're tactically remarkably similar at this point. They're both cowardly football terrorists. 

At very least most of your squad seem to like Southgate where as you'd be rolling the dice with Mourinho who is famous for picking and choosing who to fall out with almost arbitrarily. 

Imagine rating Southgate.  Imagine letting him ruin one of the most exiting squads in recent history 

I hope the decision makers at the FA have awful lives and have their hearts broken multiple times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Imagine rating Southgate.  Imagine letting him ruin one of the most exiting squads in recent history 

I hope the decision makers at the FA have awful lives and have their hearts broken multiple times.

It's funny and also utterly tragically true.

I'd back Mourinho in a tournament more than I would Southgate. I can imagine Mourinho's style now is more suited to tournament football than leagues - his time at Roma seems evidence itself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

He'd have infinitely more chance of winning the tournament, which is kind of the point of international football. Given Chris bloody Coleman managed to make himself look capable in the international arena I don't think you can make any assumptions about the stage of someone's career. Mourinho hasn't worked in it and besides the fact his powers have diminished at club level actually mean he's more suited to an international gig now - more focus on winning cups, his raison d'etre, and less focus on culture, squad building, relationships etc.

And even Mourinho was a mainly a quick and easy response to the glib 'well who would you get instead?' response that people seem to think is a silver bullet counter-argument to the idea of a replacing a manager that is clearly failing.

I'm sure are many others out there who'd come in and immediately have a better chance of success than Southgate, who has virtually none.

Edited by ealingfox

Thing is, Southgate is one of the best England managers for years in terms of results. We breeze through qualifying and regularly get to knockout stages of tournaments under him. 

He's just gets found out at a bit higher level of coaching. Often a bit safe in games, can  go unnecessarily defensive, and doesn't adjust mid-game tactics to be a top level coach. 

• Like 2