Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Noni Madueke

1 minute ago, LFox99 said:

Your first argument can also be used against Madueke though. If he indeed is used to the pace and quality of English football, then how come his best season at PSV, the 2nd most dominant club in the Netherlands only brought a mere 11 goal involvements in 24 games. Compare that to the numbers Gakpo, Neres, Antony were and are putting up from similar positions and it makes you wonder. 

Well im pretty sure we would be over the moon signing any of the players youve listed. They are still good numbers and without his injuries im sure he would have hit great figures. The problem is, if he did, we wouldnt even be an option for him. 

30 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

A few things work in our favour though.  One, Noni is english and had his football upbringing here, he knows the league well, probably trained with the spurs first team on many occasions and he wouldnt have any form of culture shock. 

The second would be that in the champions league qualifiers, he was excellent. Which shows that he does have another gear he can reach against stronger opposition. I heard negative things about him when he played us but there were a few moments when he was gliding with the ball and we didnt get near him. 

I think he wouldnt dissapoint at all. In truth, Jansen didnt stand a chance because he was never going to get a propper run with Kane... strikers need minutes more than any other position imo, as momentum is everything for a striker scoring goals so the odd game in the europa league, wont cut it.  Id actually say this is why we saw Daka drop off as well... a consistant run after his haul at moscow and I think we might  have seen a different player altogether.   

Yeah that’s very true say about the strikers. I still have a lot of hope for Daka! Seeing his finishing capability, combined with it being in his first season really is something to rave about. Easy to forget it took Vards a couple of years at the top to perfect his craft, and Dakas still only 22! 

I think regarding Madueke, my only fear is that he will be another Gray (mk2 Gray :ph34r:) where his pace and class of opposition have got him by in poorer leagues, but won’t have the brain to cut it in the prem.

1 hour ago, Clarkey123 said:

Yeah that’s very true say about the strikers. I still have a lot of hope for Daka! Seeing his finishing capability, combined with it being in his first season really is something to rave about. Easy to forget it took Vards a couple of years at the top to perfect his craft, and Dakas still only 22! 

I think regarding Madueke, my only fear is that he will be another Gray (mk2 Gray :ph34r:) where his pace and class of opposition have got him by in poorer leagues, but won’t have the brain to cut it in the prem.

very plausible but I think that goes for the majority of wingers. It is very, very hard to get that position right as we well know. 

I’d be happy if we signed him but i wouldn’t exactly be overjoyed because i don’t think he has the potential to be another mahrez… but is that just being greedy? 

Edited by Lambert09

Madueke had horrible injuries and off the field issues last season, he started the season on fire. He does represent a risk and that's coming from someone who holds him in the highest regard and only Tete would I rather we sign as the stand out right winger we so badly need. 

I just think the risk is worth taking as his profile and attributes are exactly what we need. There's others in his ilk at academy level that I'd love to see us try and take such as Omari Hutchinson who only has a year left on his deal at Arsenal and must be looking on in frustration at them signing Marquinhos and trying to get Rahphina as well as already having Saka who plays wide right. But Madueke still looks to be the obvious one and Rodgers very complimentary comments on him ahead of the 1st leg in last season QF weren't accidental.

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I've watched a lot of his highlights and he's not very polished at all, obviously he's young still but for the sort of fee they want I'd prefer Berardi I think.

He also didn't look up to much against us for PSV... Not bad, but not a superstar, really predictable with being so one footed also.

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I've watched a lot of his highlights and he's not very polished at all, obviously he's young still but for the sort of fee they want I'd prefer Berardi I think.

Berardi is almost definitely a better player at present but Madueke has a much higher ceiling in both value and ability. 

We would pay 40m for Berardi and his value would only decrease (even if he got a solid output). If Madueke turned out to be a good signing then his value could increase to an amount that Fofana is being quoted at currently.  

Of course, this is a massive gamble though because Berardi is far more likely to hit the ground running. On the flip side, looking at his output, there is a good player there. Whilst he had a quiet game against us in the UECL, you could see his ability and how willing he was to be progress the ball up the pitch. 

He fits the bill perfectly and I think we’d be right to gamble on him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Of course, this is a massive gamble though because Berardi is far more likely to hit the ground running. On the flip side, looking at his output, there is a good player there. Whilst he had a quiet game against us in the UECL, you could see his ability and how willing he was to be progress the ball up the pitch. 

Imo neither would be likely to hit the ground running with us. Berardi struggled everytime he's played for Italy, showcasing that when he's not in his familiar system at Sassuolo, he's ineffective. It's way too much of a risk to get Madueke now. He needs to show some consistency and grit for another season at PSV, otherwise we could get stuck with a perpetually injured, petulant youngster on high wages, something which I've seen more than enough people moan about in recent days and weeks. 

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

@moore_94 does he count as home grown for the PL squad due to being at Spurs for more the 3 years?

I believe he would be for PL as it is at least 3 years before they are 21 to be classed as home grown - he wouldn't need to be registered for the upcoming season or the one after as he would still be classed as under 21 for both

European competition I am not sure, and I don't think he would be classed as home grown, as it has to be at least 3 years between the ages of 15 and 21

3 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

He also didn't look up to much against us for PSV... Not bad, but not a superstar, really predictable with being so one footed also.

I don’t disagree with you but it isn’t indifferent to Gakpo who other posters are raving about. 

PSV setup to be defensively organised and to frustrate us, it’s hardly a game for an attacking winger to flourish. 

When they came forward, he looked dangerous though. There was one moment where he just carved through our whole midfield. There is evidently some real ability.

19 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

No resale value with Berardi, though. I would imagine that he'd command higher wages, too. Basically, if he flops then he becomes another expensive mistake that we'll struggle to shift. Madueke's fee might be pricey, but even if he doesn't do well, there would likely be a Premier League team willing to pay a decent sum for him, whilst we'll have had quite a few years service out of him (think Demarai Gray but on a bigger financial scale). 

Madueke's age and being English help but it we pay £35m ish for him then we're only recouping £15m-£20m at most if he flops. Madueke has lots of potential but it's a big gamble (Berardi is too tbf), for the money we're likely to spend I think we need an immediate impact. Just realised David Neres has gone to Benfica for 15m euros ffs 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Imo neither would be likely to hit the ground running with us. Berardi struggled everytime he's played for Italy, showcasing that when he's not in his familiar system at Sassuolo, he's ineffective. It's way too much of a risk to get Madueke now. He needs to show some consistency and grit for another season at PSV, otherwise we could get stuck with a perpetually injured, petulant youngster on high wages, something which I've seen more than enough people moan about in recent days and weeks. 

Creating a comparison between club and country is quite a harsh way to judge a player. Numerous examples of players who play well for their club and not their country and vice-versa. 

For the record though, I quite liked him. He has some really likeable attributes and mentally, he seemed like a bit of a b*stard, we need that.

I still think that if we choose between the two, then it’s Madueke for me. You rightly point some elements of the deal that could go wrong but Berardi will be 28 by August. 

If all went well with Madueke then we could hold onto him for two/three seasons and make a massive profit on him due to homegrown tax and his age. 

It would be a high-risk deal but I reckon that if / when he comes back to England he will hit the ground running. 

It almost feels a bit pointless comparing the two though, I just know that we will end up panic buying Lookman on deadline day.

Just now, Matt_Lcfc said:

Creating a comparison between club and country is quite a harsh way to judge a player. Numerous examples of players who play well for their club and not their country and vice-versa. 

For the record though, I quite liked him. He has some really likeable attributes and mentally, he seemed like a bit of a b*stard, we need that.

I still think that if we choose between the two, then it’s Madueke for me. You rightly point some elements of the deal that could go wrong but Berardi will be 28 by August. 

If all went well with Madueke then we could hold onto him for two/three seasons and make a massive profit on him due to homegrown tax and his age. 

It would be a high-risk deal but I reckon that if / when he comes back to England he will hit the ground running. 

It almost feels a bit pointless comparing the two though, I just know that we will end up panic buying Lookman on deadline day.

oh I'm not advocating for either, I'm fully on the CDK train myself

1 minute ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Yeah, I do have doubts about both. Out of interest though, does CDK not provide the same risks that Madueke does?

CDK has 28 goal involvements in 40 odd games last season, and has only been out injured once in his career with a short term shoulder problem.

3 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

CDK has 28 goal involvements in 40 odd games last season, and has only been out injured once in his career with a short term shoulder problem.

Fair point. Still hope that we go for Eriksen and invest in a winger. Whilst we could do with more depth, I am not sure that I would throw 40m in a position where arguably our best player plays.

*That is assuming CDK plays in the number ten.*

Edited by Matt_Lcfc