Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Noni Madueke

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Sterling reminds me of a few of ours, Iheanacho and Barnes being stand outs, he's very much a confidence player that I think needs the right handling from his manager. 

Pep has been both a real blessing and a curse to him. There's no doubt that Pep's mentorship has really improved Sterling's game no end but he's also struggled with Pep's often fairly harsh rotation and the readiness with which Pep will drop his players. 

I can see Rodgers describing Sterling as one of his "momentum" players, footballers that need constant game time to stay consistent. 

All of this said, let's be honest, Sterling also hasn't been helped internationally by a sequence of very defensive, very structured managers who over rely on him to make something from nothing to compensate for a defensive and rigid system with little inherent creativity. 

I think he’s a great player however he also isn’t helped by his tendency to miss extremely chances from about 6 yards out. He must have his own highlight reel of absolute sitters missed

6 minutes ago, Hamilton Fox said:

I think he’s a great player however he also isn’t helped by his tendency to miss extremely chances from about 6 yards out. He must have his own highlight reel of absolute sitters missed

No City forward player gets more shots on target than Sterling and only one player at City scores a higher % of their shots.  

His finishing was once an issue but it isn't now.

Only 8 players in the history of the Premier League have more hat tricks than Sterling and he's got plenty of time to get higher up that table as well.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Sterling is a fantastic footballer massively under rated by the average England fan. Grealish is an average footballer massively over rated by the average England fan. 

I'd go so far as to say Grealish is one of the most bizarrely over rated players (not shit, I might joke sometimes and actually call him rubbish to be a bit reactionary, he clearly isn't that bad) currently in English football. The cult of personality surrounding him, given he essentially has no personality, is hilariously odd. 

He slows the game down and wastes possession so much for the sakes of showboating. You've got a genuine generational talent in Phil Foden on display and most of Wembley is cooing over Jack Grealish just because he'll do a few step overs and fall over. It's absolutely insane. 

A form Grealish isn't better than a form Maddison and I will absolutely die on this hill. 

Grealish is one of the best carriers of the ball in the modern game. He is so clear of every single player in the premier league and according to everyone he had a shit season. I would love to see this table during the 20/21 season when he was picking the ball up in his own half at villa and taking on 4 or 5 players to progress in to the oppositions third.

And the no personality comment... have you not seen the man city celebrations from the league win? He is the typical british lad and I am here for it! :worship:

• Like 2

Just now, Guest said:

Sterling is one of the great football litmus tests in that if someone doesn't rate him you can happily disregard everything else they have to say about anything

It's the footballing equivalent of seeing someone wearing a face mask, alone, in their own car, below their nose.  

50 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Sterling is a fantastic footballer massively under rated by the average England fan. Grealish is an average footballer massively over rated by the average England fan. 

I'd go so far as to say Grealish is one of the most bizarrely over rated players (not shit, I might joke sometimes and actually call him rubbish to be a bit reactionary, he clearly isn't that bad) currently in English football. The cult of personality surrounding him, given he essentially has no personality, is hilariously odd. 

He slows the game down and wastes possession so much for the sakes of showboating. You've got a genuine generational talent in Phil Foden on display and most of Wembley is cooing over Jack Grealish just because he'll do a few step overs and fall over. It's absolutely insane. 

A form Grealish isn't better than a form Maddison and I will absolutely die on this hill. 

Ah ffs I actually agree with every word you've written here.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

And THAT is why the country is tripping over themselves to pretend he's world class. 

But Sterling does have a tendency to trip over himself in search of a dodgy penalty in addition to running like he has bob in his pants. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

And THAT is why the country is tripping over themselves to pretend he's world class. 

Haha, world class is definitely a stretch and it’s hard to justify his 100m price tag but he is a quality player and I think over the next few years under pep he’s gunna reach new heights.

38 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

No City forward player gets more shots on target than Sterling and only one player at City scores a higher % of their shots.  

His finishing was once an issue but it isn't now.

Only 8 players in the history of the Premier League have more hat tricks than Sterling and he's got plenty of time to get higher up that table as well.  

Not doubting any of that, but still misses absolute sitters regularly for a guy of his ability. He missed practically an open goal for England only last month.

4 minutes ago, Hamilton Fox said:

Not doubting any of that, but still misses absolute sitters regularly for a guy of his ability. He missed practically an open goal for England only last month.

Tbh I'm so bored of Southgate's turgid England set up I didn't watch many of the Nation's League games.  I'm sure he still misses some good chances my point really was he's not a bad finisher overall and it's definitely an area he's improved.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StinckleyFox said:

under pep he’s gunna reach new heights.

I mean this part I do agree with. I said that when the rumour first broke he was going there. He has all of the components to be a top footballer other than, at the moment, a brain. Doesn't help he genuinely seems thick as fvck to be fair. 

His footballing intelligence is extremely poor but if he applies himself and really commits to learn then a player with his technical ability and God given athleticism could be a genuine force when coached by Guardiola. 

But right now he's absolutely years behind the rest of the Man City squad and, in particular, Foden in his understanding of how to actually play as the creator.

Genuinely think it did his all round game absolutely zero favours being the big fish in a little pond at Villa. He plays like a kid that feels he has to carry the team, even when he steps out on to the pitch with ten other world class pros for his new side. Like a kid in the playground, head down, dribble. Has to get it out of his system. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean this part I do agree with. I said that when the rumour first broke he was going there. He has all of the components to be a top footballer other than, at the moment, a brain. Doesn't help he genuinely seems thick as fvck to be fair. 

His footballing intelligence is extremely poor but if he applies himself and really commits to learn then a player with his technical ability and God given athleticism could be a genuine force when coached by Guardiola. 

But right now he's absolutely years behind the rest of the Man City squad and, in particular, Foden in his understanding of how to actually play as the creator.

Genuinely think it did his all round game absolutely zero favours being the big fish in a little pond at Villa. He plays like a kid that feels he has to carry the team, even when he steps out on to the pitch with ten other world class pros for his new side. Like a kid in the playground, head down, dribble. Has to get it out of his system. 

Yeah, I’m not sure if you’ve watched any of the england YouTube videos. But they did a challenge with jack grealish and a few of the others had to guess where in england he was born, from a blank map. They brought grealish in to give the correct answer, he didn’t even know that it was a map of england he was looking at. I think that says all you need to know about his brain 😂

I do think pep will get him moulded in to a top tier player though over the course of the next year or two. The point you make about the Villa thing is one I never actually thought about tbf, since he was like 18/19 he’s been carrying that Villa team had a lot of weight on his shoulders and has most likely always seen himself as the man of the moment.

2 minutes ago, StinckleyFox said:

Yeah, I’m not sure if you’ve watched any of the england YouTube videos. But they did a challenge with jack grealish and a few of the others had to guess where in england he was born, from a blank map. They brought grealish in to give the correct answer, he didn’t even know that it was a map of england he was looking at. I think that says all you need to know about his brain

Honestly find it painful watching him be interviewed. Rooney and Beckham used to get the piss taken out of them by the national media for being thick and were used as examples of the thick footballer stereotype which, in all honesty, used to smack of straight up classism from media Oxbridge types. 

But honestly, Grealish really DOES seem that thick. It's night and day between listening to him and someone like Maddison, Choudhury, KDH, etc. 

4 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Grealish is about to have an amazing season for Man City... Feel like some of the criticism on here is not going to age well

Grealish made a massive mistake with City. He won't do a Mahrez I don't think because in his first season mahrez played in the same areas as he did with us and as he still does with City. 

Southgate let's Grealish off of his leash which is why he gets to carry the ball a lot (and lose it a lot too). 

Pep won't let Grealish do that because pep doesn't like players losing the ball. I personally think Grealish will struggle at City under Pep for his career there. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

You’ve described Sterling there, not Grealish! 

I've hated Grealish from the very start because of those ****ing tiny shinpad he wears. I couldn't care less if there's a medical reason the Premier League should force him to conform to my expectations and cover up his calf muscles. Sterling may run like a dinosaur but at least he has the common decency to wear proper shinpads. Top man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3