Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

New European Super League plan

34 minutes ago, davieG said:

I didn't think their plans for a Super League involved leaving their respective domestic leagues. It's about replacing the current European Competitions and I guess eventually any World Club Comps. Because that's were the money comes from to guarantee their continual domination of the domestic leagues. .

At least that's how I saw it.

Wiki

The European Super League (ESL), officially The Super League, is a proposed seasonal football competition for club teams in Europe. Initially, the league was supposed to include 20 teams, with 12 of them being founding members of the competition. The league was created by a commercial enterprise called the European Super League Company. This company aimed to rival the UEFA competitions, such as the Champions League, which is currently Europe's top club tournament.[2]

Whether that's their plan or not - supporters should be lobbying for removal from domestic leagues. Closed shop European competitions with increased prize revenue and income effectively ensures domestic dominance on a scale that would wreck the game of 86 of the 92.

Get those clubs, and their fans, out like cancers. 

• Like 1

I reckon I'm not alone in this viewpoint.

Back in 2021 when the initial Super League idea came out I was horrified, and massively against it.

But now I reckon overall it's good for the sport. Let the 'big boys' all wank each other off in their own competition and let's get back to a more authentic game. We can still play them in cups or whatever, but if the main league is going to split, bring it on. 

Edited by Asha
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Asha said:

Back in 2021 when the initial Super League idea came out I was horrified, and massively against it.

But now I reckon overall it's good for the sport. Let the 'big boys' all wank each other off in their own competition and let's get back to a more authentic game. We can still play them in cups or whatever, but if the main league is going to split, bring it on. 

The latest proposal is a replacement for the UEFA competitions. Domestic league stays in situ. 

What it would mean is if Leicester won the league again we’d end up in the ‘third tier’ of the Super League. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

The latest proposal is a replacement for the UEFA competitions. Domestic league stays in situ. 

What it would mean is if Leicester won the league again we’d end up in the ‘third tier’ of the Super League. 

Ah ok, well then it just means not giving a shít about European football anymore.

35 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Surely the English clubs won’t want to risk upsetting their fans again but guess it depends how much they put money ahead of the supporters?

The foreign owners of these clubs couldn't care less about their fans they are just looking for extra revenue and £££££.  The fans are becoming less and less relevant to the big clubs.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Asha said:

The basketball Euroleague killed almost all European domestic leagues. Closed, private leagues only work in USA because that country has an extensive high school and college program for sports. 

I don't care if this Superleague thing is more open or whatever. I know what will happen. 

It's time for the fans to speak out and take back their sport. It's our sport, get all these corrupted clowns out including the politicians who support them. Unfortunately they're taking everything away from the base, I don't want to sound like a mad conspiracy theorist but it seems we're generally regressing as a society in this decade. 😔

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

The basketball Euroleague killed almost all European domestic leagues. Closed, private leagues only work in USA because that country has an extensive high school and college program for sports. 

I don't care if this Superleague thing is more open or whatever. I know what will happen. 

It's time for the fans to speak out and take back their sport. It's our sport, get all these corrupted clowns out including the politicians who support them. Unfortunately they're taking everything away from the base, I don't want to sound like a mad conspiracy theorist but it seems we're generally regressing as a society in this decade. 😔

good post that tbf, only 2 clubs are really pushing for it too, and that seems to be Real and Barca, and what do they have in common, both in the shit pan money wise

the list of "big teams" from each country is rising, Man Utd have just rejected the idea too

the whole superleague thing will just be bad for football imo, its just a way they want to milk more money from fans

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Very much where I think the inspiration comes from. Euro league come to a standstill though - trying to invent interest now for franchises to freshen it up 

Reading a bit deeper it appear there is no major financial backer. A22 started by telling clubs they had hard cash but couple of funds pulled out and then that’s changed to a confidence that the streaming model will deliver the cash. 

But then their big USP is it’s going to be free to air. Well it simply can’t function then. The world’s economy is shrinking and multi-nationals can only back ‘one horse’. 

It looks fairly fantasy stuff 

Edited by CosbehFox

Just have a franchise competition, it's so easy. It stops clubs being ripped out of communities and the old men in suits get to have their little souless play things that'll sell millions because the younger generations mainly care about supporting players rather than clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Reading a bit deeper it appear there is no major financial backer. A22 started by telling clubs they had hard cash but couple of funds pulled out and then that’s changed to a confidence that the streaming model will deliver the cash. 

But then their big USP is it’s going to be free to air. Well it simply can’t function then. The world’s economy is shrinking and multi-nationals can only back ‘one horse’. 

It looks fairly fantasy stuff 

I don't think funding would have been an issue if they had the OK from all "big" teams. Saudis and Qatar would invest right away and possibly allowed to even have 2 teams in it with a future expansion. 

Its boils down to the fact clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd are struggling to even get a sniff of champions league. Chelsea are turning into a midtable club and cant bare the thought. Its funny how this super league idea came to life after we won the league and qualified for the champions league. Its a football snobbery, they want the same top six in Europe. The only reason conference league was created was to make sure that the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal and Spuds who were struggling to even get in the europa league, were at least playing in some uefa competition.

Though id say the big six kind of snub and mock that as the sides their up against are the back of beyond of Europe.

Edited by Leicesterpool

7 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Surely the English clubs won’t want to risk upsetting their fans again but guess it depends how much they put money ahead of the supporters?

They’ll replace seats with monitors so that Sanjeev, Juan, Dakarai and 愛子 can pay to view from the seat. Who needs real support in the bright new future?

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Its boils down to the fact clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd are struggling to even get a sniff of champions league. Chelsea are turning into a midtable club and cant bare the thought. Its funny how this super league idea came to life after we won the league and qualified for the champions league. Its a football snobbery, they want the same top six in Europe. The only reason conference league was created was to make sure that the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal and Spuds who were struggling to even get in the europa league, were at least playing in some uefa competition.

Though id say the big six kind of snub and mock that as the sides their up against are the back of beyond of Europe.

Manchester United have publicly said they have no interest in the competition. It’s more about Barca, Real and Juve with their financial situations 

• Like 1