Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

New European Super League plan

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-european-super-league-plan-8128665

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11731035/New-European-Super-League-plans-feature-80-clubs-UEFA-Champions-League-rival.html

Revised plans for a European Super League would see up to 80 teams involved but no permanent members as organisers brace for another battle with UEFA.

A22, the company wishing to keep the idea alive following the disastrous launch of the Super League project in April 2021, have sketched out plans for a new competition to challenge the Champions League.

They say their latest iteration of the Super League idea would not require clubs to leave their domestic competitions.

It comes as three of the original rebels - Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus - continue their fight with European football's governing body.

A22 made the announcement in various European newspapers on Thursday and claim the plans have been drawn up after detailed conversations with clubs around the continent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64578730

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12806616/european-super-league-fresh-plans-for-80-team-competition-announced-by-chief-executive-bernd-reichart

A new-look, open European Super League could contain up to 80 teams in a multi-divisional format, the competition's chief executive has said.

The competition would be based on sporting performance only with no permanent members, A22 chief executive Bernd Reichart told German newspaper Die Welt.

Teams would be guaranteed a minimum of 14 matches per season, Reichart wrote.

A22, a company formed to sponsor and assist with the creation of the Super League, has consulted with nearly 50 European clubs since October last year and developed 10 principles based on that consultation which underpin its plans for a new-look league.

5 minutes ago, MPH said:

I have no problem with a merit-based competition where relegation and promotion are active parts.

I think the idea is that it will force the closure of UEFA's Champions League so any profits from it after the clubs have had their share will go out of football.

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

I have no problem with a merit-based competition where relegation and promotion are active parts.

But it would never be that, just as the champions league constantly tries to change it to appease the bigger names, by giving them more money and unearned places.

• Like 3

Strikes me as an idea where the 16 or so clubs realised to get more support and in the process reduce the chances of being basement dwellers, they went with this new format so someone elsewhere can be the bottom side. 

This idea is very, very similar to what the CL is going to be with its bullshit Swiss system (worth mention the only other sport what uses it Rugby Union wants rid of it for the Heineken Cup because it’s created too many dead rubbers) 

41 minutes ago, davieG said:

I think the idea is that it will force the closure of UEFA's Champions League so any profits from it after the clubs have had their share will go out of football.

39 minutes ago, Babylon said:

But it would never be that, just as the champions league constantly tries to change it to appease the bigger names, by giving them more money and unearned places.

I do understand what you are both saying.. 

And I’m quite sure there will be a Bigger focus on generating even more money that will cascade down to the clubs but  I feel like there are already a lot of very rich people within UEFA. So there’s already a money issue, and it would be no different in that respect.

If it was an equal membership system. With promotions and relegations I don’t see how it would be that much different to the champions league.. and if I’m not complaining about the champions league then, at the moment, based on the little info we have, I don’t see how I can complain about the new proposal..

Edited by MPH

This story just doesn't go away does it?

They'll keep coming back with revised super league plans until it happens in some capacity and you do wonder whether they'll eventually get their own way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MPH said:

I do understand what you are both saying.. 

And I’m quite sure there will be a Bigger focus on generating even more money that will cascade down to the clubs but  I feel like there are already a lot of very rich people within UEFA. So there’s already a money issue, and it would be no different in that respect.

If it was an equal membership system. With promotions and relegations I don’t see how it would be that much different to the champions league.. and if I’m not complaining about the champions league then, at the moment, based on the little info we have, I don’t see how I can complain about the new proposal..

Of course, there will be a format out there that's absolutely fine and is fair for all. These f****** don't want fair though, they'll make out it's fair, but they will have the remit to change that in a few years and turn it into exactly what they want. A regular pay day for the big boys, in a format they can't lose with. 

What caused the protests in the UK was the fact it would remove them from their domestic leagues and also the sense of injustice from unfair competition - ie closed shop. This is one of the issues having been removed from the revised plans. We need to see if the fans feel as vociferously towards the new proposals and what stance the PL takes to see what sort of protest will end up taking place. Need a few high profile people in football to speak out against it as well.

• Like 3

It won't be a complete closed shop but you will have a scenario where certain clubs are guaranteed entry regardless of performance.

These clubs are not going to sign up without guarantees of endless participation. 

But yeah- less games please, Green Football Weekend etc will be tossed aside for cash as well. Twas ever thus.

This is just a way to get the super league started, then they’ll do what the original plan was but in a sly way. 

Stinks of “protecting the big clubs interests” crap that they are obsessed with.  

The whole thing will be so corrupt and won’t have any benefit for clubs like us. Money grabbing trash. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Let them do it. As I said in the other thread ditch the top 4, maybe even top 6, those clubs that chase money and let the league be as even as it can be.

7 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Hang on, I thought we needed less games?

Assume Klopp and Liverpool will turn the opportunity down

Problem solved, kick them out then they can have their guaranteed minimum of 14 matches. And likely maximum if they carry on playing as they are. They might not like the meritocracy though, probably wouldn't even qualify 🤣