Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

New European Super League plan

51 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

If it is 80 clubs I’m half thinking we’d be invited.

I wouldn’t want our club anywhere near this    It’ll be corrupt and everything will favour the top clubs, because that is why it’s for. Not for clubs like us, I’m afraid. So no I don’t want us to be part of this utter vile idea 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12806925/european-super-league-premier-league-clubs-dismiss-new-proposals-as-laughable-and-all-hot-air

European Super League: Premier League clubs dismiss new proposals as 'laughable' and 'all hot air'

A22 - the company representing the European Super League - revealed new proposals for a multi-divisional format featuring 80 teams on Thursday; however, five Premier League clubs distanced themselves from the plans; one senior executive called the announcement "laughable"

7 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12806925/european-super-league-premier-league-clubs-dismiss-new-proposals-as-laughable-and-all-hot-air

European Super League: Premier League clubs dismiss new proposals as 'laughable' and 'all hot air'

A22 - the company representing the European Super League - revealed new proposals for a multi-divisional format featuring 80 teams on Thursday; however, five Premier League clubs distanced themselves from the plans; one senior executive called the announcement "laughable"

After the fan backlash last time they probably aren't going to say anything positive about it. 

They are just trying to create a Euro version of the PL were the Elite/Rich clubs have an even bigger pot of cash to take the greater proportion of it. 

We have the PL, soon we'll have the Women's Super League with their inevitable top clubs closed shop then they'll be this Euro Super League which will give a greater guarantee those same clubs will get the greatest benefit that makes the Champions League £££s look peanuts

29 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I wouldn’t want our club anywhere near this    It’ll be corrupt and everything will favour the top clubs, because that is why it’s for. Not for clubs like us, I’m afraid. So no I don’t want us to be part of this utter vile idea 

You’re describing the premier league, which we are part of, and the champions league, which we nearly killed ourselves to be part of. If you aren’t happy with us joining the coca cola awesome league powered by affinity insurance (half time show bought to you by visit Abu Dhabi) you surely must have serious problems with us being in the PL 

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

Of course, there will be a format out there that's absolutely fine and is fair for all. These f****** don't want fair though, they'll make out it's fair, but they will have the remit to change that in a few years and turn it into exactly what they want. A regular pay day for the big boys, in a format they can't lose with. 

don’t blame you for thinking that and you could well be right. I was totally against the original format  but I don’t see the benefit of something identical to the champions league either. .I’m not enamored with either Uefa or FIFA and would value  an entity with less corruption.  I also think there has to  be a less complicated system than having 3 separate European competitions going at the same time.

at least what has been mentioned is a starting point. A talking point. If there was a way they could have some form of constitution that set in stone some of the main concerns like relegation and promotion.. or at least a steady qualification concept , then it would  keep me interested In the concept.

Edited by MPH

2 hours ago, Saxondale said:

More tedious bollocks. Honestly, just let the Man Citys of the world frig off to Qatar and stay there.

Man City won’t want it unless they think there’s a real chance it happens. The main driving force is the huge non PL clubs which don’t get TV money to the extent of any PL club 

They say it will be set up to be competitive and open but it obviously won't be.

It'll be something like 4, 20 team leagues with the initial teams being hand picked. So the top league will be your Liverpool, Utd, Madrid etc. Second league being sporting, Rangers, Celtic and such all the way down to your Slavia Bratislavas and Malmos in league 4. 

There will be something meagre like 2 promotions/relegations between leagues each year so for a Barcelona to fall out the competition completely, they would have to be relegated 4 years on the trot and for a Slavia Bratislava starting in the 4th tier to get to the big money games, they would have to be promoted 3 years running but the money differance will be giant between league 1 and league 4. 

They will claim fairness because that 4th league will be easy to qualify for. There will be plenty of relegation from that league....

• Like 1

I think a European super league is inevitable. However, i think that begins as the big teams in Europe pooling together to try and rival the Premier League.

Whether that evolves to a closed shop including PL teams, who knows. But the more the PL spends, the more the big teams from Italy, Spain, France and Germany will want to see if they can rival that with bigger TV deals.

16 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

I see the "if we do xxx I'm not going again" but I think if we did join this I'd be done. Football isn't/shouldn't be a closed shop and the idea of something with no relegation is pointless and boring.

5 hours ago, Scotch said:

They say it will be set up to be competitive and open but it obviously won't be.

It'll be something like 4, 20 team leagues with the initial teams being hand picked. So the top league will be your Liverpool, Utd, Madrid etc. Second league being sporting, Rangers, Celtic and such all the way down to your Slavia Bratislavas and Malmos in league 4. 

There will be something meagre like 2 promotions/relegations between leagues each year so for a Barcelona to fall out the competition completely, they would have to be relegated 4 years on the trot and for a Slavia Bratislava starting in the 4th tier to get to the big money games, they would have to be promoted 3 years running but the money differance will be giant between league 1 and league 4. 

They will claim fairness because that 4th league will be easy to qualify for. There will be plenty of relegation from that league....

Whats frustrating, is this would be genuinely quite cool if it was completely fair and money had no part in it. 

Who doesnt love promotion and relegations. But unfortunately this is all about trying to widen the financial gap between the teams in the competition and the domestic clubs not involved.  

The fairytale of a true fair system would be quite something, imagine we finish 5th and then had the chance to stay in euorope unless we got relegated. It would be such a fun ride. Each year to qualify you have a mini playoff with the other teams around the world. The top placed team from countries that arent already in the tournament battle it out for the open spots.  It would be so cool almost like a playoff final but for european football. The flaw however is that over time the divisions would just be made up of the top leagues sides. Our european trips would be villa and everton and teams from denmark and the like wouldnt be strong enough to ever qualify. If you limited the teams from one country... youd never be able to get in as the top sides wouldnt be getting relegated. 

Then you even have the chance to grow to the top.  The format would be really cool but as always these things are run by crooks and theres nothing about this plan thats intended to improve the sport.  

Edited by Lambert09

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kieran-maguire-fires-division-four-8160609?fbclid=IwAR1ibNasozFbelN-RC9_yCGA9cFr8DFeTt7ZMvadBeOTVGBANNthe-2MAt4

Kieran Maguire fires ‘Division Four’ warning as Leicester City discover European Super League plans
Leicester City news from LeicestershireLive as football finance expert delves into the latest Super League spot and how it would affect the Foxes

ByMark Whiley
15:10, 17 FEB 2023

Leicester City would be dumped into the fourth tier if the latest European Super League plans comes to pass - even if they won the Premier League again.

That’s according to leading football finance expert Kieran Maguire, who has delved into the finer details of a new plot to create a Super League featuring up 80 teams. Two years after the original Super League plan, which included the Premier League’s so-called ‘big six’ and six other clubs from around Europe, the concept is back on the table, albeit in a very different form.

The competition, claim organisers, would be based on sporting performance with no permanent members, A22 chief executive Bernd Reichart said earlier this month. A22 is the Madrid-based sister company formed to assist with the creation of the Super League.

Given the Premier League’s status as the most lucrative domestic league in the world, it is feasible that more than half of the English top-flight would be invited to join, including Leicester.

However, Maguire has spotted gaping holes in the plans, which he insists would still favour the so-called elite of European football, while the likes of the Foxes would be forced to feed of financial scraps.

“A22 have come out with a very impressive sounding ten-point plan for a new European Super League which they say will be far more meritorious than the original plans,” said Maguire in the latest Price of Football podcast which he hosts with Kevin Day.

“[They say] There’ll be promotion and relegation, far better distribution of money and so on. I’ve always taken the view that if something looks too good to be true, it tends not to be true.

“And once you start digging into the small print, you go ‘hold on’. There will be four divisions but if you take a situation such as Leicester winning the Premier League in 2016… When Leicester won the Premier League, they went straight into the Champions League the following season, as has always been the way.

“But if Leicester won the Premier League in 22/23, they would have to go into a play-off system against other clubs in Europe. It looks as if this new competition will have three clubs relegated out of four divisions of 20.

“Then Leicester would have had to start in Division Four of the European Super League and it would take them three seasons of success to get to the top division. That seems very harsh on Leicester, who did very well in 16/17, they got to quarter-finals of the Champions League that season.

Fans of Chelsea protest against the European Super League outside Stamford Bridge in 2021
“This system is designed to protect the elite because when it’s set up, we can all guess who’s going to be in Division One. You won’t have to be an idiot to realise that all the TV money will be concentrated in Division One as well, just as it is in the English pyramid.

“You’ll get diddly squat if you are Leicester and win the Premier League. And there’s also the ludicrous position of, let’s say a Chelsea or a Liverpool was relegated to the Championship, they would still keep their place in the top division of the Super League. It simply makes a mockery.

“Chelsea and Liverpool aren’t going to get relegated, we know that, but the thing they want most of all is to de-risk their current positions, to ensure they don’t have to win matches domestically to be guaranteed European income year in, year out, and these plans go along those lines.”

There has no reaction from Premier League clubs so far to these latest plans, which are expected to fall by the wayside.

Maguire added: “To be fair to the Premier League clubs, they’ve been silent on the pronouncements of A22. I think they know if they were seen in the same city as the sleaze balls in charge, tongues would start wagging. There’s no evidence that Premier League clubs are interested in this competition.”

No real surprises then.

Abraham Lincoln - “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”

• 10 months later...
6 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67783970

"European Super League: Uefa and Fifa rules banning breakaway league unlawful, says court"

How long before this thing rears it's head again?  As detestable as I find the thing, I've always throught it's a matter of when not if.

We should let it go and break itself, the short term riches will be huge for owners & broadcasters but once the fans see they don’t really gain anything, get bored of the same teams, unable to afford the constant flights to watch their team, Sky start to lose subs, etc etc we should absolutely not allow them to fall straight back into the English top tier.

They will start with all the so called Mouthwatering prospects of watching Man C v R Madrid type fixtures every weekend but before you know it it’ll be like that snooze fest of Liverpool v Man U last week and you’ll have to fork out £400 for a flight and £200 for a ticket to watch it in Dubai or some such place, no thank you but good luck to them.

Initially my reaction to this was fury and anger - I would have been 100% supportive of fans rioting at the stadiums of their clubs in order to reverse the decision. I felt like the protests didn't go far enough and said as such.

But - I've been reflecting and actually I'm going to support this. The clubs that will leave the league for this 'super' league will be the ones that are tedious and boring anyway. Man United. Liverpool. Chelsea. Man City. Good - take 'em. In the era of the super-wealthy they've just bought baubles. Now they can pay through the nose to buy baubles off one another on a long-term basis. The English league will be more competitive - and therefore more interesting - for it. 

The fans, too, will move. And whilst I'm sure there are 'old bloke and his son been going down for thirty years' type fans amongst them - the fans of these teams are, mostly, toxic blowhards who only follow the clubs because they're successful. Let 'em go and argue with international fans over twitter who 'The Man United GOAT is' in broken English. Edge them out of the game. Couldn't care less if Dave from Pontypridd can't get to Dubai for the Super League Super Round of Super Six. Even though he's followed Man United 'because my Uncle did in the nineties' or whatever tedious excuse they come up with.

Get rid of the dreadful monied clubs. Get rid of the dreadful glory hunting fans. Reset the English league and, crucially, close the doors to them. Better off for it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

we should absolutely not allow them to fall straight back into the English top tier.

I didn't think their plans for a Super League involved leaving their respective domestic leagues. It's about replacing the current European Competitions and I guess eventually any World Club Comps. Because that's were the money comes from to guarantee their continual domination of the domestic leagues. .

At least that's how I saw it.

Wiki

The European Super League (ESL), officially The Super League, is a proposed seasonal football competition for club teams in Europe. Initially, the league was supposed to include 20 teams, with 12 of them being founding members of the competition. The league was created by a commercial enterprise called the European Super League Company. This company aimed to rival the UEFA competitions, such as the Champions League, which is currently Europe's top club tournament.[2]

European Super League: New proposal launched for European competition - BBC Sport

That took a while...

The company who backed the European Super League, A22, has launched a new proposal for men's and women's European competitions.

The proposal is a league system with 64 men's clubs across three leagues with participation based on sporting merit and no permanent members.

The women's competition would include 32 clubs across two leagues.

It comes after the European Court of Justice said banning clubs from joining a European Super League was unlawful.

A case was brought by the ESL and its backers claiming Uefa and Fifa were breaking competition law by threatening to sanction those who joined the breakaway league.

Europe's highest court found against the governing bodies but said that did not mean a breakaway league would "necessarily be approved".

But the ruling has opened the door for new proposals to be put forward and for clubs to look to organise and manage European football competitions.

No clubs or prize money have yet been announced in the A22 proposal but an annual promotion and relegation system would be in place.

In the men's competition, the top tiers - the Star League and the Gold League - would each consist of 16 teams while the Blue League, the bottom tier, would consist of 32 clubs.

Fans would also be able to watch live matches for free on a new digital streaming platform.

Star League and Gold League hahahahahaha

Just now, bmt said:

European Super League: New proposal launched for European competition - BBC Sport

That took a while...

The company who backed the European Super League, A22, has launched a new proposal for men's and women's European competitions.

The proposal is a league system with 64 men's clubs across three leagues with participation based on sporting merit and no permanent members.

The women's competition would include 32 clubs across two leagues.

It comes after the European Court of Justice said banning clubs from joining a European Super League was unlawful.

A case was brought by the ESL and its backers claiming Uefa and Fifa were breaking competition law by threatening to sanction those who joined the breakaway league.

Europe's highest court found against the governing bodies but said that did not mean a breakaway league would "necessarily be approved".

But the ruling has opened the door for new proposals to be put forward and for clubs to look to organise and manage European football competitions.

No clubs or prize money have yet been announced in the A22 proposal but an annual promotion and relegation system would be in place.

In the men's competition, the top tiers - the Star League and the Gold League - would each consist of 16 teams while the Blue League, the bottom tier, would consist of 32 clubs.

Fans would also be able to watch live matches for free on a new digital streaming platform.