Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
marcymarc666

Match of the Day tonight

3 hours ago, David Hankey said:

So, more punditry and inane comments then. More football less chatter is what's needed.

Why do you watch it then? There are alternatives where you can just watch football with no chatter.

40 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Why do you watch it then? There are alternatives where you can just watch football with no chatter.

I don't as a rule. Even when Leicester City scored 4 goals (the highest on the day) we didn't make it first on MoTD.

The problem is the programme has become more about the pundits and their views rather than the football and it doesn't need to be like it.

For added viewing pleasure, always watch Leicester first if you think there is some sort of anti Leicester conspiracy rather than just acknowledging we arent very good, and if your personality is very fragile, maybe dub your own punditry over the top of the highlights that constantly praises Leicester regardless of anything that happened during the game.

Job done.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I don't as a rule. Even when Leicester City scored 4 goals (the highest on the day) we didn't make it first on MoTD.

The problem is the programme has become more about the pundits and their views rather than the football and it doesn't need to be like it.

It probably has always been more about punditry. There's a video of Clough on YouTube in conversation with Motson and criticizing how much punditry is on football programmes. And that was then.

Fair play if you don't watch it but I can't get my head around people watching it then complaining, when there are alternatives out there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Imagine losing a moral argument to someone who once shat himself on national television. 

Who's that I don't understand the reference?

The punditry and Lineker's terrible puns are part and parcel of the show, yeah you can watch goals on your phone after the game but I enjoy the familiarity of MOTD, although can't say I've watched it much recently as I tend to avoid it whenever we lose or are shit lol

The only reason this show still exists is because English people are weird and obsessed with ‘tradition’ over anything else. Some weeks there’s only about 4 games on a Saturday, and even if you don’t watch them all live, the goals and anything else notable is on social media within 5 minutes anyway. 

3 hours ago, lildave3 said:

The only reason this show still exists is because English people are weird and obsessed with ‘tradition’ over anything else. Some weeks there’s only about 4 games on a Saturday, and even if you don’t watch them all live, the goals and anything else notable is on social media within 5 minutes anyway. 

Don’t other countries have the same sort of thing then ?

10 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Don’t other countries have the same sort of thing then ?

Not really to the same format in my experience. Germany has a programme (which isn’t a surprise when they have a common Saturday afternoon kick off). 

No other country has a blackout - so the accessibility to goals and highlights is easier (albeit 85% of it on satellite TV). 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, lildave3 said:

We have a 3pm blackout though which makes motd useful. Not sure other countries do. And imo long live the blackout, only a matter of time before the American moneymen get a hold of it and broadcast every match ‘Leeds v Brentford bought to you live by fidelity investments wooooohooooo way to gooo!!!!!’

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

We have a 3pm blackout though which makes motd useful. Not sure other countries do. And imo long live the blackout, only a matter of time before the American moneymen get a hold of it and broadcast every match ‘Leeds v Brentford bought to you live by fidelity investments wooooohooooo way to gooo!!!!!’

I think the authorities are trying to get it scrapped too .

So they can probably get more money from the TV deals .

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I have a weekly argument on twitter regards the blackout. Was arguing the toss with a Tyneside based Arenal fan last week. He was saying 'why do I have to suffer for the pyramid?' I pointed out that Smith-Rowe was signed from Glebe FC and Ramsdale wouldn't be as good with this loan spells lower down. Anywhere that's another debate. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I think the authorities are trying to get it scrapped too .

So they can probably get more money from the TV deals .

That's slightly the issue with the blackout. There's a lot of moaning regards how football is televised across numerous subscription channels currently. 

Yet the likelihood if you pull the blackout is that more football gets put on Pay TV as they have the money reserves more than public broadcasters - that's how it's occurred in Europe (f'kin hilarious when Perez from Real gets all emotional about how kids aren't watching football anymore). 

18 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I have a weekly argument on twitter regards the blackout. Was arguing the toss with a Tyneside based Arenal fan last week. He was saying 'why do I have to suffer for the pyramid?' I pointed out that Smith-Rowe was signed from Glebe FC and Ramsdale wouldn't be as good with this loan spells lower down. Anywhere that's another debate. 

Mate not sure having weekly arguments on the twitter is the best way to spend your time. Genuinely no ill intent just debates on the Internet, especially twitter, just devolve in to nonsense and ultimately a complete waste of time because if you win an argument you just get called names like a commie and get wound up. I understand being on this forum is a total contradiction but I steer clear of all that nonsense and just converse with like minded, seemingly nice people. This thread being case in point. Someone puts out a rod and every time they get a bite they love it. Rise above it.