Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2024

5 hours ago, Stinkenzo said:

I've just finished season 2 with Cannes. Went from 6th to 11th, 2pts worse off than last season but further away from the relegation zone points wise, very odd season. 10pts from first 11 games then had promotion form from there. 

I've found out though we have a Vanarama budget. I spotted a mid table side in our league have 80k wage budget, ours went from 14k to 11.7k at the end of the season, I'm not being rewarded at all for my money saving lol

To sum it up, my board have just accepted a bid on my behalf for a 16yo. 7.5k. 

Did you read my Setubal post? This might be a frequent theme on 24 I fear.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Did you read my Setubal post? This might be a frequent theme on 24 I fear.

Yeah I saw it vaguely the other day. It did cross my mind but at our level it's probably somewhat justified so I'm not totally convinced it's a bug. I'm not used to it ever getting cut though

On 19/01/2024 at 12:49, Dan LCFC said:

Already resigned. It's such crap though - it's a game fault rather than the board one. It doesn't even seem to register the fact I've not had a proper budget. It's like whatever money I get it goes into a black hole.

Like it didn't just give me none of the money for Ellertson, it deducted what little I had left over as well. I've quite liked 24 but this is just a nonsense. Has this happened to anyone else?

Reading your other posts, that sucks. When you invest the time and have to bin it off. I have actually started an unemployed game a few weeks back and ended up in the third tier of Portugal. I've since changed clubs and just got Maritimo to the top flight. Whilst I do actually get a massive 10% of transfer revenue, we're £9m in debt and because of the way league money is distributed, there's no way we'll be out of that any time soon. Can only sign top league 1/championship quality players (which is fine for this level).

Problem is, I have no way of making a dent in that £9m. Got a young wingback who I could maybe get £3m now but that will make no difference. Another youngster who make might some money. But feels like it all hinges on getting to Europe, and more importantly, competing at that level. Once we're in the black, they might give me a bigger chunk of revenue retained and then I can start to wheel and deal a bit more.

Yours just sounds like a bug but from what I've read, seems like Portugal is brutal for finances and doesn't get better until you're in Europe. And the difference in ways between you and the top 3 (who probably go from top 10 PL sides to 6/7th best PL side in terms of quality) is on another level. Normally any of the top 5 leagues are so easy because other teams underperform but more because it's so easy to make money and keep making money. This seems like the complete opposite and getting lucky could be what takes you to the next level so really enjoying it, and likely to stay in what was meant to be a journeyman save. Mind you, 3 years in and still not a single coaching badge because of the money might force my hand lol

As for bugs, I went to play my first game after the Jan window last season and noticed my left sided cb was missing. Had him on loan and turns out he had been sold for £40k, which I'd have actually been able to afford! No mention that he had been recalled or sold so lucky we were flying otherwise I'd have been fuming. One of my rules of the save is no 433/4231 as I always do that, so playing 3 centre backs with the the wide centre backs crucial to that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

Reading your other posts, that sucks. When you invest the time and have to bin it off. I have actually started an unemployed game a few weeks back and ended up in the third tier of Portugal. I've since changed clubs and just got Maritimo to the top flight. Whilst I do actually get a massive 10% of transfer revenue, we're £9m in debt and because of the way league money is distributed, there's no way we'll be out of that any time soon. Can only sign top league 1/championship quality players (which is fine for this level).

Problem is, I have no way of making a dent in that £9m. Got a young wingback who I could maybe get £3m now but that will make no difference. Another youngster who make might some money. But feels like it all hinges on getting to Europe, and more importantly, competing at that level. Once we're in the black, they might give me a bigger chunk of revenue retained and then I can start to wheel and deal a bit more.

Yours just sounds like a bug but from what I've read, seems like Portugal is brutal for finances and doesn't get better until you're in Europe. And the difference in ways between you and the top 3 (who probably go from top 10 PL sides to 6/7th best PL side in terms of quality) is on another level. Normally any of the top 5 leagues are so easy because other teams underperform but more because it's so easy to make money and keep making money. This seems like the complete opposite and getting lucky could be what takes you to the next level so really enjoying it, and likely to stay in what was meant to be a journeyman save. Mind you, 3 years in and still not a single coaching badge because of the money might force my hand lol

As for bugs, I went to play my first game after the Jan window last season and noticed my left sided cb was missing. Had him on loan and turns out he had been sold for £40k, which I'd have actually been able to afford! No mention that he had been recalled or sold so lucky we were flying otherwise I'd have been fuming. One of my rules of the save is no 433/4231 as I always do that, so playing 3 centre backs with the the wide centre backs crucial to that.

Portugal is arguably the hardest league you can manage in I think because the unfair distribution is like nothing else. It makes La Liga look competitive. I've never managed in it but I think the only other country that could compare to it would be Scotland, but like I say, never done it so I'm a bit unaware, but I can imagine that being similar.

It's actually quite easy IMO in Portugal to get from the lower leagues to the top, but the gap between an average top tier team, say Moreirense, and Benfica, is greater than Moreirense and a fourth tier side and that's no exaggeration either.

What's so annoying with mine is we were in no debt. We were when we were in the 3rd/4th tier but Setubal were a club that should've never been in those leagues, so despite that we had pretty comfortable resources and were able to get out of there. Once I'd made my big sale in Ellertson we had a bank balance of literally £15mil in the black. I don't get how I can get zero of that.

I've always taken the attitude with smaller clubs that you have to just accumulate decent sales to ever be able to spend anything, a bit of a domino effect to eventually get to a point where you can buy quite freely. We'd done the hard bit with our sales and I'd gotten it so we were financially very sound. I'm genuinely patient with these things but I can't be arsed with that. What's the point when I'm being set up to fail. I'd bought that other midfielder to replace him who was a potentially elite player, but what is the point if I'm just going to sell him for big money in a year and get none of that, so I'll see minimal benefit from actually signing him. I binned it because if then wasn't the time to give me some money, I don't know when was. I'm not even asking for massive money either, just £5mil of it and I'd have put together a good team rather than an OK one that functioned to its maximum. I mean bloody hell we nearly came 3rd!

I enjoy the grind of the game but I need it to pay off eventually and with that it was just clearly never going to pay off. I hope you don't have the same nonsense at Maritimo because eventually you can pounce on the big teams bad years.

It may not be a game glitch. Said on the last page I've gone to Sweden, at a club that are actually in debt and they've given me 100% of a transfer fee received! Makes me wonder if Setubal was a rare case where it was rigged into the game for them to be stupidly cautious because their financial issues in 2019 are what brought them the treble relegation in the first place, but I'm probably giving them far too much credit.

What's your projection looking like at Maritimo? Even if you sold that wing back for £3mil you might actually get a bit of it, but I can't promise lol 

As I said also, even when I made the first sale of note (Pedro Santos), I got a deal of £2.6mil up front and then £1mil a year for the next three years, plus a couple of sell ons, so I wasn't expecting loads of that but I saw virtually none of it. I did think OK, the Santos deal wipes out the debt. I'm losing £1mil a year so the Santos sale is basically propping us up. When I can then throw in £17.75mil up front for Ellertson, that's it, surely of that I'll get something but literally zero. Just a bank balance of that kind of value sat there doing nothing while I miss out on other bargains. I bought Romero thinking I could sell him in a year or two for another 20-25mil but by then we'd have a better side anyway. Just gradual progress. Basically taking Braga's place as the challenger. But nothing.

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Portugal is arguably the hardest league you can manage in I think because the unfair distribution is like nothing else. It makes La Liga look competitive. I've never managed in it but I think the only other country that could compare to it would be Scotland, but like I say, never done it so I'm a bit unaware, but I can imagine that being similar.

It's actually quite easy IMO in Portugal to get from the lower leagues to the top, but the gap between an average top tier team, say Moreirense, and Benfica, is greater than Moreirense and a fourth tier side and that's no exaggeration either.

What's so annoying with mine is we were in no debt. We were when we were in the 3rd/4th tier but Setubal were a club that should've never been in those leagues, so despite that we had pretty comfortable resources and were able to get out of there. Once I'd made my big sale in Ellertson we had a bank balance of literally £15mil in the black. I don't get how I can get zero of that.

I've always taken the attitude with smaller clubs that you have to just accumulate decent sales to ever be able to spend anything, a bit of a domino effect to eventually get to a point where you can buy quite freely. We'd done the hard bit with our sales and I'd gotten it so we were financially very sound. I'm genuinely patient with these things but I can't be arsed with that. What's the point when I'm being set up to fail. I'd bought that other midfielder to replace him who was a potentially elite player, but what is the point if I'm just going to sell him for big money in a year and get none of that, so I'll see minimal benefit from actually signing him. I binned it because if then wasn't the time to give me some money, I don't know when was. I'm not even asking for massive money either, just £5mil of it and I'd have put together a good team rather than an OK one that functioned to its maximum. I mean bloody hell we nearly came 3rd!

I enjoy the grind of the game but I need it to pay off eventually and with that it was just clearly never going to pay off. I hope you don't have the same nonsense at Maritimo because eventually you can pounce on the big teams bad years.

It may not be a game glitch. Said on the last page I've gone to Sweden, at a club that are actually in debt and they've given me 100% of a transfer fee received! Makes me wonder if Setubal was a rare case where it was rigged into the game for them to be stupidly cautious because their financial issues in 2019 are what brought them the treble relegation in the first place, but I'm probably giving them far too much credit.

What's your projection looking like at Maritimo? Even if you sold that wing back for £3mil you might actually get a bit of it, but I can't promise lol 

Yeah, it's pretty brutal. Maritimo are in a similar boat where they've basically never been out of the top half for the most of the last 2 decades so you'd expect them to be well set up. I actually would have been much better off staying at Vianense because there was little debt.

It definitely seems about fluking a good European run and then you'd be ok but still not sure why you got nothing.

That wing back is improving all the time and averaging a 7.4 in the league after 12 games (conceded about 20 too ha) which shows you how good he is. He'll be a £10-15m player in the summer and I can't get better now. 5 star potential at this level could mean championship player or world beater, so you want to make sure you're getting good value or sell when they stop improving.

But no need to worry on the money front. They've been really kind and cut my £80k a week budget to under £60k so that will be great lol.

You're absolutely right about the gulf in quality though; it's mental. The only thing is the AI will waste their money so will get easier.

Projected to lose about £4/5m every year despite that budget and no plans. Strong start though so a chance of Europe.

From browsing this thread from time to time, you tend to do quite challenging saves right? So I don't blame you for reaching the end with it. Good luck in Sweden! That'll be quite interesting

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

As I said also, even when I made the first sale of note (Pedro Santos), I got a deal of £2.6mil up front and then £1mil a year for the next three years, plus a couple of sell ons, so I wasn't expecting loads of that but I saw virtually none of it. I did think OK, the Santos deal wipes out the debt. I'm losing £1mil a year so the Santos sale is basically propping us up. When I can then throw in £17.75mil up front for Ellertson, that's it, surely of that I'll get something but literally zero. Just a bank balance of that kind of value sat there doing nothing while I miss out on other bargains. I bought Romero thinking I could sell him in a year or two for another 20-25mil but by then we'd have a better side anyway. Just gradual progress. Basically taking Braga's place as the challenger. But nothing.

I've got Santos too... He's my backup right wing back, not that he can play there. lol

This wingback just got a 10 in his last game as is averaging an 8.5 in his last 5 games. One of those classic teens who hasn't got great stats but is phenomenal. Acceleration 18 is what seems to cause the damage.

Couldn't take it any longer. Actually won 4 of my first 5 and was top, then as per the same tactics/players turn to mush and I won 2 of my next 13. Recovered a little, lost 7 on the bounce and to my surprise had to actually convince the board to give me more time. Then had a strong end to the season and finished 13th. I was happy to have an overhaul at the end of the season however I applied for the Guingamp job in March who are lower Ligue 2 level and agreed to become manager at the end of the season. If Cannes stay up next season it will be a miracle. Wage budget trimmed again to 10k, a side promoted to that league had 28k. Nice that I don't seem to have immediate pressure at Guingamp who are expected mid table for a while. 250k wage budget and 4.5m to play with

@Dan LCFC I did a bit of testing earlier and think there must be a bug. Not sure if it's exactly the same as you.

I decided I am cashing in on this left back regardless and so managed to get £13m for him as figured going positive would help the finances long term. Currently get 10% of sales but was only going to get £900k (so another small bug there). Sold him but also had another sale of £13m lined up. Figured I would try to get the transfer revenue % increased as even 30% on that kind of deal would do the business. When i went to ask, I noticed that my retained revenue had dropped to 0%?! It wasn't one that said '10% until £x has been raised' . First time I asked I asked they actually said no. Then I loaded again and they gave me 10% again. So despite bringing in £26m they have rewarded me with the exact same % amount and I didn't even get the full £2.6m. Not sure if this is what happened to you but definitely a bug so I will raise on the SI forum.

Mental thing is, the projection has drastically improved now and we'd be making £2m profit every year and that's before any EL money so shows how much a drain the negative balance was.

If I can't get it resolved, I'll stick it out this year and then hope that give me something like 40% next year with a proper EL budget (gave me £80k a week and £500k budget lol), and hopefully I'll have found somebody else to flog for big money, otherwise off to a new country.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2024 at 23:13, dmayne7 said:

@Dan LCFC I did a bit of testing earlier and think there must be a bug. Not sure if it's exactly the same as you.

I decided I am cashing in on this left back regardless and so managed to get £13m for him as figured going positive would help the finances long term. Currently get 10% of sales but was only going to get £900k (so another small bug there). Sold him but also had another sale of £13m lined up. Figured I would try to get the transfer revenue % increased as even 30% on that kind of deal would do the business. When i went to ask, I noticed that my retained revenue had dropped to 0%?! It wasn't one that said '10% until £x has been raised' . First time I asked I asked they actually said no. Then I loaded again and they gave me 10% again. So despite bringing in £26m they have rewarded me with the exact same % amount and I didn't even get the full £2.6m. Not sure if this is what happened to you but definitely a bug so I will raise on the SI forum.

Mental thing is, the projection has drastically improved now and we'd be making £2m profit every year and that's before any EL money so shows how much a drain the negative balance was.

If I can't get it resolved, I'll stick it out this year and then hope that give me something like 40% next year with a proper EL budget (gave me £80k a week and £500k budget lol), and hopefully I'll have found somebody else to flog for big money, otherwise off to a new country.

That is, quite literally exactly what happened to me. You forgive it when you make the first sale somewhat because you are probably in the red. But when you have the money and they wipe it clear there's no point even playing.

You'll have to let me know what pans out. I've had instances in the past where I've not been given money immediately and then a couple of months later, usually during the window being closed annoyingly they decide to throw me a few extra million. But I was being expected to work consistent miracles rather than gradually built so I just couldn't be bothered. I'd spun this wheel a while ago and I fancied managing IK Brage for some reason, think I've got something wrong with me.

On 26/01/2024 at 18:30, dmayne7 said:

I've got Santos too... He's my backup right wing back, not that he can play there. lol

This wingback just got a 10 in his last game as is averaging an 8.5 in his last 5 games. One of those classic teens who hasn't got great stats but is phenomenal. Acceleration 18 is what seems to cause the damage.

That isn't how I'd have profiled him at all lol are we talking about the same player here? The ex Benfica kid? For me he was like a poor mans Mahrez.

On 27/01/2024 at 10:34, Muzzy_no7 said:

Replication of Enzo-Ball on FM24 for all those interested 👍🏼.

Must admit this is the best replication yet and hasn’t for once had me completely running away with the league. It’s a lot more realistic and is coming with the problems of the odd late goal and not killing teams off.

KDH as a Roaming playmaker, Ricardo as IWB and Cannon as a proper pressing forward really make the difference. 

15 games in I’m on 40pts with Leeds and Southampton hot on my tail on 38 and 34. Ipswich are 6th. 

Just doing a Leicester save myself, couldn't not! Anyone else finding the game fairly easy this year though?

Playing a modified wing-play tactic - 4-3-3 with a BWM in front of the back 4 with a DLP and KDH playing as a box to box. Fatawu as a winger on the right and Mavididi as an IF on the left.

Sold a few at the start of season one - main ones being Kelechi (£25m) and Vestergaard (£9m) which I used to strengthen a few areas. Got Moukoko from Dortmund on loan - him and Mavididi pretty much carried me to winning the league with 106pts (one more point would have been nice!)

The funniest part though - won the FA Cup 😂 cant remember the exact run but didn't once face a "top 6" side. Last 3 games were Forest, then Everton in the semi's which I won AET (ironically Sensi scored a last minute free kick for us, touchy subject right now!) Then had Brentford in the final and won it scrappily 1-0. Some will say lucky cup run some will say it's far too simple this year - I think it's a bit of both.

Started the season at home against Liverpool and won 4-0... they had a few key players out but still seems a bit easier than previous editions! But then in the Championship season Leeds did the double over me and I lost simple games like home vs Preston... so not consistently easy but a league and cup double in Season 1 wasn't what I was expecting to say the least!

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing through a sunday league rep and no badges save and so far up to May 2028 I have only managed in Japan

However I have just 4 more games left in charge of Cerezo Osaka before I join Bastia in the 2nd tier of France (Tycoon owners)

Just won the last trophy I needed, the Asian Champions League, so I can happily leave knowing I have won everything possible in Japan

image.png.e9be1946204f6d3967702422de670379.png

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

I just don't get on with this one for some reason. Pretty much always use the same tactic which has done me well for years and that continued in my first game in Israel. Cannes was alright but a struggle for different reasons, but Guingamp was shite with a really good squad, got sacked halfway through the season though I did turn into Brendan Rodgers after about 10 games and was gagging for the sack. They got relegated, joined Bastia which was a small step up from Guingamp also in League 2. Just can't get anything to work. 

Started a new game in Scotland with Stenhousemuir. Came 2nd in the League Cup Group Stage (should have been 1st really), with a notable and somewhat deserved win away at Motherwell. League season started okay then I go and lose 6 on the trot. Just cbf with it 

15 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

OK chums.   Is it REALLY worth upgrading from CM23?...   Sorry FM23

:huh: it's been nearly two decades since they rebranded (to a far superior name as well)

On 23/02/2024 at 18:06, Stinkenzo said:

I just don't get on with this one for some reason. Pretty much always use the same tactic which has done me well for years and that continued in my first game in Israel. Cannes was alright but a struggle for different reasons, but Guingamp was shite with a really good squad, got sacked halfway through the season though I did turn into Brendan Rodgers after about 10 games and was gagging for the sack. They got relegated, joined Bastia which was a small step up from Guingamp also in League 2. Just can't get anything to work. 

Started a new game in Scotland with Stenhousemuir. Came 2nd in the League Cup Group Stage (should have been 1st really), with a notable and somewhat deserved win away at Motherwell. League season started okay then I go and lose 6 on the trot. Just cbf with it 

Do one in South America

Funny one just now, I'm playing as Birmingham, currently chasing promotion in my second season and not far off the play-offs so far.

The clubs in a pretty poor state financially so I had to agree to sell George Hall to Fulham for £12m which wasn't bad as he was valued at around £8-10m - anyway, long story short, they offered us the chance to loan him back for the season which I agreed to and he's been on fire this season however, all of the news articles, social media posts and press conference questions are all related to how we need to snap him up after his loan finishes and we should be trying to make him a permanent member of the squad etc. 

• Haha 1