Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

This is rapidly turning into one of the my favourite threads, s there is some good discussion, and although I am guilty of raging posts on occasion, I hope we all recognise the balance and already asserted nuance required in judging both Enzo’s tactics and people reactions.  For example, the match thread and post match threads are often bipolar hell scapes. lol

Think critique or perhaps enquiry should always be welcome, the criticism you see in the aforementioned threads less so I would argue,  but I also get it’s a pressure valve. This too cuts both ways though.

On the tactical question, I think some would often like to see a variation even in game, perhaps not tactically, but more in execution, but it is currently safe and fair to refer back to the record thus far as a positive. Yes there was a whole load of what-ifs but until they turn into failures we can be pleased I think. Again, this is does not rule out enquiry or critique.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James_lcfc said:

Yes you are absolutely right. It wasn’t just that poster either, I read it all the time.

I’m someone who enjoys this style of play when it’s done right, but I don’t get upset at people who prefer to watch something different.

I can also understand the people making the point that we maybe don’t have the players to do it well, or even that a more traditional style of football would be better suited to the Championship. It’s only a discussion after all.

I suppose the issue there is that we really don't know yet - it's too early to expect the players to be even at, say, 70% up to speed - as such it seems unfair to start criticising the players, or maresca for forcing his style on players that may or may not be good enough. My inclination is that the players he has used so far, he believes are capable of playing his system, those that he believes not to be up to it he has sold or isn't using - as such, both tactically and regarding the quality of the squad, once again it comes back to that word - patience.

As far as a switch to a 'traditional' style of football - well, i suppose that just comes down to the manager's style - i'm sure if we'd got dyche, there'd be many people complaining about the limitations of his style of football. And, keeping this thread on topic, hypothesising about tactics enzo is never going to employ isn't particularly constructive - if people want to start a thread on 'let's go back to 442', then that would be the place to discuss that fantasy :D  As @StriderHiryu suggested regarding the inclusion of Rodgers in this thread - let's try and keep it to a comparison of their tactics rather than discussing the shortfall of BR - the same applies here, it's fine to talk about different formations in the context of the formations we are using, but simply  saying 'this system is rubbish let's go back to 442' adds nothing to the discussion...

It is only a discussion, but i think we'd all prefer to keep it a bit more rational and, for me at least, educational, than the pre-match, match and post match threads.

• Thanks 1

COACH WATCH
Enzo Maresca’s tactics analysed

ENZO MARESCA

Leicester City, 2023-

Making moves has been fundamental to Enzo Maresca’s football coaching career. When studying at the legendary Italian coaching centre, Coverciano, his thesis was titled Football and Chess. “There are a lot of similarities,” Maresca said, comparing the two games. “The most important is positional play and strategy. For a coach, it’s important to have the mentality of a chess player: develop a plan, study counter moves, choose the arrangement of the pieces.”

His favoured tactical moves on the pitch have no doubt been shaped by the moves he has made from club to club, and country to country. The Italian started his playing career in AC Milan’s youth team, in the number six and eight roles. There, he developed a friendship with the team’s number 10 – a certain Roberto De Zerbi.

Maresca made a bold switch to West Bromwich Albion as an 18-year-old, getting his first taste of senior football in England’s second tier. Moves to Juventus – where he played for Carlo Ancelotti and Marcello Lippi – and Sevilla yielded one Serie A title, two UEFA Cups and a Copa del Rey. A season with Olympiacos added to his experience of different football cultures.

More Here - https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/enzo-maresca-tactics-leicester-city/

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, davieG said:

COACH WATCH
Enzo Maresca’s tactics analysed

ENZO MARESCA

Leicester City, 2023-

Making moves has been fundamental to Enzo Maresca’s football coaching career. When studying at the legendary Italian coaching centre, Coverciano, his thesis was titled Football and Chess. “There are a lot of similarities,” Maresca said, comparing the two games. “The most important is positional play and strategy. For a coach, it’s important to have the mentality of a chess player: develop a plan, study counter moves, choose the arrangement of the pieces.”

His favoured tactical moves on the pitch have no doubt been shaped by the moves he has made from club to club, and country to country. The Italian started his playing career in AC Milan’s youth team, in the number six and eight roles. There, he developed a friendship with the team’s number 10 – a certain Roberto De Zerbi.

Maresca made a bold switch to West Bromwich Albion as an 18-year-old, getting his first taste of senior football in England’s second tier. Moves to Juventus – where he played for Carlo Ancelotti and Marcello Lippi – and Sevilla yielded one Serie A title, two UEFA Cups and a Copa del Rey. A season with Olympiacos added to his experience of different football cultures.

More Here - https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/enzo-maresca-tactics-leicester-city/

Yep! His football brand is about as exciting (and as fast) as chess. Watching paint dry is more entertaining!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-brave-defenders-taking-8732677

Leicester City's 'brave' defenders are taking on a job few players accept
Enzo Maresca praises Wout Faes, Jannik Vestergaard, Conor Coady, and Callum Doyle with City's defence conceding the third fewest goals in the Championship so far

ByJordan Blackwell
12:30, 7 SEP 2023

Enzo Maresca has hailed his “brave” Leicester City defenders for taking on a responsibility few players accept.

The City boss expects his back three – which has been formed by Wout Faes, Jannik Vestergaard, and Callum Doyle for the five Championship matches so far – to push high, leaving half of the pitch in behind for them to defend. It is something City’s opponents have exploited, but Maresca says a high line is necessary to help with his team’s attack.

Finding defenders willing to accept such responsibility is not easy, he says, but his trio – as well as Conor Coady, who is due to return to training after injury within the next week – have taken on the challenge head first.

“The game changes completely when you have to defend with 10 metres in behind or 50 metres in behind,” Maresca said. “Especially when you have 50 metres in behind, you need to be brave. You need to accept that there are 50 metres in behind that you have to defend.

“The only thing I can say is that Wout, Jannik, and Conor when he will be with us, all of them are brave and accept 50 metres in behind. Sometimes you struggle to find defenders who accept that.

“Jannik accepts that, Wout accepts that, even Callum accepts that. Callum is more or less like Jannik and Wout in terms of speed. They are brave. If you want to play in the opposition half, you need your defensive line higher.”

City may only have one clean sheet in the league so far, but their tally of four goals conceded is among the best in the division. Only Preston and Birmingham have conceded fewer, letting in three Championship goals each.

46 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Yep! His football brand is about as exciting (and as fast) as chess. Watching paint dry is more entertaining!

@Dan LCFC @James_lcfc - and you wonder why people moan about the moaners in this thread :doh: 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-brave-defenders-taking-8732677

Leicester City's 'brave' defenders are taking on a job few players accept
Enzo Maresca praises Wout Faes, Jannik Vestergaard, Conor Coady, and Callum Doyle with City's defence conceding the third fewest goals in the Championship so far

ByJordan Blackwell
12:30, 7 SEP 2023

Enzo Maresca has hailed his “brave” Leicester City defenders for taking on a responsibility few players accept.

The City boss expects his back three – which has been formed by Wout Faes, Jannik Vestergaard, and Callum Doyle for the five Championship matches so far – to push high, leaving half of the pitch in behind for them to defend. It is something City’s opponents have exploited, but Maresca says a high line is necessary to help with his team’s attack.

Finding defenders willing to accept such responsibility is not easy, he says, but his trio – as well as Conor Coady, who is due to return to training after injury within the next week – have taken on the challenge head first.

“The game changes completely when you have to defend with 10 metres in behind or 50 metres in behind,” Maresca said. “Especially when you have 50 metres in behind, you need to be brave. You need to accept that there are 50 metres in behind that you have to defend.

“The only thing I can say is that Wout, Jannik, and Conor when he will be with us, all of them are brave and accept 50 metres in behind. Sometimes you struggle to find defenders who accept that.

“Jannik accepts that, Wout accepts that, even Callum accepts that. Callum is more or less like Jannik and Wout in terms of speed. They are brave. If you want to play in the opposition half, you need your defensive line higher.”

City may only have one clean sheet in the league so far, but their tally of four goals conceded is among the best in the division. Only Preston and Birmingham have conceded fewer, letting in three Championship goals each.

The words Wout, Jannik and high-line are ones to make you shudder. 

I guess for those with no pace it’s better to look like it’s down to a tactical issue rather than getting done for pace and turning closer to your own goal and it clearly being down to your limitations.

I think the expected XG against is a better marker than goals conceded. 
Early days but you would expect us to be up there. 

All though 4 games against teams that finished 15th 18th 19th 21st last season.

38DD83CF-71F1-45C8-9EE8-1177F9382E8F.thumb.jpeg.e4dd981664cbf6207f5c5f7079a430a1.jpeg

Edited by HankMarvin

11 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Passing for the sake of it is NOT entertaining. 

Why is it so difficult to read anyone else's posts except your own? It's not passing for the sake of it ffs.

For the record I've found our football for nearly my entire life boring and this year is one of the very few that isn't.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bmt said:

Why is it so difficult to read anyone else's posts except your own? It's not passing for the sake of it ffs.

For the record I've found our football for nearly my entire life boring and this year is one of the very few that isn't.

Think people tend to see football, and other things I assume, through the lens of their own experiences. If they have fond memories of the time we played a certain way, they will associate that style of football with good times. For me, I enjoy this is more considered approach nd feel when it clicks it’s very exciting, and I truly believe we will win more games and become more successful this way than others.

2 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

@Dan LCFC @James_lcfc - and you wonder why people moan about the moaners in this thread :doh: 

lol 

Of course I disagree with the post you’ve quoted but I will concede there have certainly been phases of all our games so far that have been pretty boring.

The Burton game was pretty hard to get through but we don’t count that one!

Got to accept that people won’t enjoy our current style of play - But they should try to be a bit more receptive and open to the fact that it will (or at least should) get better!

1 hour ago, SuperMike said:

Passing for the sake of it is NOT entertaining. 

IT begs the question - what exactly do you consider the purpose of our passing to be - bearing in mind that we attempt, on average, 600 passes per game (compared to our opponents 300) - is there a reason for passing other than to move the ball around the pitch?

Or is it that you think that x% of those passes should be shots instead? Or do you feel as though we should be dribbling the ball more (we average 10 dribbles a game, against six and a half)?

Or do you have some other idea of what we should be doing instead of passing?

7 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

lol 

Of course I disagree with the post you’ve quoted but I will concede there have certainly been phases of all our games so far that have been pretty boring.

The Burton game was pretty hard to get through but we don’t count that one!

Got to accept that people won’t enjoy our current style of play - But they should try to be a bit more receptive and open to the fact that it will (or at least should) get better!

If you ask me it's already getting better - i know there's a section of fans whole believe we were shit against hull, but the extended highlights was packed full of great stuff.

I think if we're honest with ourselves, football games are about the highlights, the special moments, the rest is just frustration and waiting for the special moments to happen.  Oddly enough, this is why cup games, as a rule, do tend to be more exciting, there's an intensity you don't get when it's 1 of 46

9 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

IT begs the question - what exactly do you consider the purpose of our passing to be - bearing in mind that we attempt, on average, 600 passes per game (compared to our opponents 300) - is there a reason for passing other than to move the ball around the pitch?

Or is it that you think that x% of those passes should be shots instead? Or do you feel as though we should be dribbling the ball more (we average 10 dribbles a game, against six and a half)?

Or do you have some other idea of what we should be doing instead of passing?

Y can’t we just boot it down the channels for someone  to chase ?  
then I can watch rhe ball in the air and players running about chasing after it 

that way they look like they’re earning their money - all this tappy tappy back and forth - I could do that with my youngun - it’s the booting it as far as you can and running after it that I couldn’t do 

36 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Y can’t we just boot it down the channels for someone  to chase ?  
then I can watch rhe ball in the air and players running about chasing after it 

that way they look like they’re earning their money - all this tappy tappy back and forth - I could do that with my youngun - it’s the booting it as far as you can and running after it that I couldn’t do 

Dear god, i hope this is sarcasm..... :ph34r:

5 hours ago, SuperMike said:

At last ! 

I wholeheartedly agree. Possession based football, regardless of who the manager is, and how successful they are at implementing it, it just bores me to death.

I get it that others find it fascinating tactically, and love the style, just not me.

I get the idea Enzo is trying to implement, and that Rome wasn't built in a day and ultimately when it does eventually click that we hopefully will see 15 passes in a move, and not the current 36, and that we progress up the pitch quicker than we currently are, and not appear to revert to an aimless Rodgersball esq style of play with ponderous froward progression ( yes I appreciate it's not as bad as the sh1t we suffered under Rodgers but you get the idea) but we have to admit it does have that "impression" more often than not in our matches so far.

But for the love of god , starting at our next match we have to play at a far faster tempo and for longer periods during the game.

I don't expect it for the full 90 Mins, it's not humanly possible. However when we do up the tempo we do we look a different team and at times quite dangerous.  I want more of that TBH, lets actually impose ourselves on the opposing team, lets given them something more and different to think about, instead of sitting back whilst we look pretty passing it around looking for the "solution"  IMO it just gives them time to get organised or to press us due to us being "patient"

We are quite easy to set up against at the moment and a bit predictable. We need a small touch of something different during the match, not rigidly sticking to possession football for the whole duration 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guppys Love Child said:

At last ! 

I wholeheartedly agree. Possession based football, regardless of who the manager is, and how successful they are at implementing it, it just bores me to death.

I get it that others find it fascinating tactically, and love the style, just not me.

I get the idea Enzo is trying to implement, and that Rome wasn't built in a day and ultimately when it does eventually click that we hopefully will see 15 passes in a move, and not the current 36, and that we progress up the pitch quicker than we currently are, and not appear to revert to an aimless Rodgersball esq style of play with ponderous froward progression ( yes I appreciate it's not as bad as the sh1t we suffered under Rodgers but you get the idea) but we have to admit it does have that "impression" more often than not in our matches so far.

But for the love of god , starting at our next match we have to play at a far faster tempo and for longer periods during the game.

I don't expect it for the full 90 Mins, it's not humanly possible. However when we do up the tempo we do we look a different team and at times quite dangerous.  I want more of that TBH, lets actually impose ourselves on the opposing team, lets given them something more and different to think about, instead of sitting back whilst we look pretty passing it around looking for the "solution"  IMO it just gives them time to get organised or to press us due to us being "patient"

We are quite easy to set up against at the moment and a bit predictable. We need a small touch of something different during the match, not rigidly sticking to possession football for the whole duration 

But why would you expect to see sequences finished in 15 passes, when Maresca's style mimics Pep's tactics, which is keep the ball all game? The whole idea of this style is to hold the ball for as long as possible. 

Again, the question asked to lots of others - what would your alternative be? Counter attacking? Long balls in behind? Big man up top? 

4 hours ago, sbfox said:

But why would you expect to see sequences finished in 15 passes, when Maresca's style mimics Pep's tactics, which is keep the ball all game? The whole idea of this style is to hold the ball for as long as possible. 

Again, the question asked to lots of others - what would your alternative be? Counter attacking? Long balls in behind? Big man up top? 

It’s a good question and a difficult one. People have different views and I do think others should respect that and not mock those that do not subscribe to there being one way of playing the game.

Personally, I can see what Enzo is trying to do. I’m not sure about this full back business but that a tactical detail not the possession based argument which I’m happy with the latter. I do think things needs to be mixed up as this season is a good opportunity to do this as we are favourites but if we go up, you can’t go away to Man City and play as you would at home to Rotherham for example.

But I also enjoyed 2015/16 and 2013/14 and even the league one season. Yes the league one season was very direct in style and whether times have moved on or it was because we were at that level, we won’t and shouldn’t return to that. 2016 was fantastic and this is how we should approach games such as the big clubs where we will be expect to have less possession. But yes not all the time. 2013/14, I forget really in 10 years but I feel that was fairly possession based under Pearson but I may be wrong.

Ultimately I know those seasons will stand out as positive not because of the style of play but because we were successful. Any style will be appreciated when you’re winning your league I suppose.

I suppose I’m saying be prepared to adapt based on circumstances firstly. In terms of the possession, I guess possession with purpose is what I’m thinking but appreciate some will see aimless possession where others see a tactical plan or the early stages of a build up to a move so it’s subjective in that sense. 

I like to see things like quick switches of play and the wide players pulling the ball back into the box for men arriving. The winner at Rotherham was my favourite so far this season as Doyle’s switch of play perfectly into McAteer was excellent and a way to open up a packed defence. 

But yeah, in terms of your question. I suppose it’s not possible for 90 minutes unless you literally jab the opponent pinned back so much you are constantly peppering their goal but that doesn’t tend to happen for 90 minutes regardless of opponents facing either other.

5 hours ago, sbfox said:

I am guessing, but I think some would like to see an endless metronomic attack-to-attack between the two teams at nigh on full speed for the 90 minutes